Win Hill: Inverse Marx Generator ??

If I may be so rude as to be practical, note that, for a given series and can size, electrolytic caps of various voltages have close to constant CV product and about the same price. But energy goes as C*V^2, so if you want to store more energy per volume and buck, buy higher voltage caps. ESR losses will be lower, too.

Film caps tend to follow the same pattern. If anything, constant CV gets cheaper with voltage.

I recently did a board with 64 relays on it. The board we're replacing had the option to order latching or non-latching relays, and we figured we could make it a dipswitch option instead. That requires us to bang all the latching relays to the off position *after* power fails. Turns out it's better to use the highest voltage supply available to pump the energy storage caps, and switch down, than to use lower voltage caps.

John

Sorry, I've never owned anything bigger than a Ruger .357. Beautiful piece of metal, a stainless Police Service Six.

If you actually fired magnums, the flash and noise and kick were so extreme that it might take a while to get organized for a second shot.

Clip, belt, magazine, doesn't matter: any name, or its German equivalent, would be equally effective.

John

essage

The

is

lack

cause

an

the

(even

lack of

retend

a form

Hi John, I don't want to get all 'wanky'* about this. But it's also the molecules (or whatever the things are) that have the temperature. If there are no 'things', then there is no temperature. We say that the temperature out in space is 2 degrees K. But that is the 'average' energy of the photons in space.

It is only recently (a few years) that I've come to understand temperature in this way. (As the average enrgy of something) I use to think it was some weird thing that linked entropy and energy. (I'm also happy to have my current understanding refined.)

George H.

*I'm not sure exactly what wanky means but it could be a mixture of weird and cranky. maybe whinny?
Reply to
George Herold

Where I come from, we know a trick worth two of that one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Ah..the old 'nomenclature' defense!

bismarck mike

Reply to
m II

message

of

pretend

Yes, you can define the temperature of an empty space... but you'd probably have to stick something in there to measure it. Boltzmans constant is the energy of a molecule at a given temperature.

Not by me! I'm just a circuit designer.

John

Absolutely right. In the circuit involved charge conservation is only used to write Kirchoff Current Laws. For any two terminal device, this means than a charge q1 flowing into terminal 1 is equal to the same amount of charge q1 flowing out of terminal 2. It may seem funny, but a capacitor does not store (net) charge.

As soon as both "charged" are connected in series, some positive charges are annihilated by the same amount of negative charges, leaving the same net balance, i.e. zero.

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

For people who like guns and electronics, read "The Deadly Fuse" by Baldwin.

John

Sure. "I came from MIPT; they don't keep idiots there".

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Do you always make up "facts" as you go along in life?

If I fired my .454 Casull, I would usually feel pretty confident that what I fired at would only need one round.

Even for a bear in a pig vest.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Why not its Japanese equivalent?

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

hahaha... hillarious! The + charges anhillate the - charges? So why doesn't this happen in atoms? Why do we even have charge in the first place?

Where did the mass go? you do remember that those pesky electrons and protons have mass? When they are "anihillated" do they become newtrons?

Reply to
George Jefferson

OldTrons

Reply to
The Great Attractor

IFYPFY

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

You link does not mention E=3DMC^2 anywhere. GPS corrects for both special (velocity difference) and general (gravity field difference) relativistic effects, but the E=3DMC^2 equivalence is related only by the fact that Einstein wrote both. His 1905 E=3DMC2 paper (DOES THE INERTIA OF A BODY DEPEND UPON ITS ENERGY-CONTENT? By A. EINSTEIN September 27, 1905 in Annalen der Physik) uses his special relativity paper as a starting point, but the rest is just a logical extension of the arithmetic. GPS works without directly mentioning mass-energy equivalence.

My "source" for the Einstein paper is a book I picked up somewhere in my travels: _Source Book in Astronomy 1900-1950_, a collection of significant papers compiled by Harlow Shapley and published by Harvard University Press in 1960. Now that it is 2010, it is time for the

1950-2000 version.
Reply to
Richard Henry

"John Larkin" wrote in = message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yup. I have a believable reason for that. Just the other day, I took = apart a fairly old looking (~1980s) 4700uF 50V electrolytic. It looked = to be made of moist kraft paper (i.e., the brown untreated stuff they = make paper bags out of, but the thickness and strength of tissue paper) = and two sheets of ~5mil aluminum (one grayer than the other, probably = because it was the anode).

I'm sure modern caps have better control over thickness, current rating = and etc., but if they use generally the same thickness for all voltages, = you'll see essentially constant CV over a series.

I need to take apart a few snap-ins now. They have wonderfully low ESR, = particularly the high voltage types. I wonder if they use multiple = contacts, or "extended foil" noninductive connections like films do.

Too bad polyesters are seriously bulky. I'd love to make a supply with = just film caps. Who needs ESR!?

Cornell-Dubilier's DME series are remarkably small. Compare a 0.1uF =

400V to, say, a waxed paper cap from 50 years ago, you'll shit bricks. = 'Course, they used film and foil in those days, not metallization.

Heck, I've seen some even smaller 0.1uF 275VAC MKPs. And those are = supposed to be rated for kV pulses. Obviously not a repeatable = operation.

Speaking of film and foil, does *anyone* yet have a clue what Sprague = (Vishay) 715Ps (Orange Drops) are rated for?

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

The assessment stage is long finished. Anyone with a need for over seventy identities in these newsgroups is one sick individual.

You have to hand it to him for consistency, though.

Every one of those identities shows the SAME insulting, antisocial and cretinous behaviour...and BORING. Don't even get me started on the BORING!

I see that today he's added yet another identity at aioe.org.

mike

Reply to
m II

So, Archie..is this identity number 76, or 77 ?

mike

Reply to
m II

film caps. Who needs ESR!?

say, a waxed paper cap from 50 years ago, you'll shit bricks. 'Course, they used film and foil in those days, not metallization.

be rated for kV pulses. Obviously not a repeatable operation.

715Ps (Orange Drops) are rated for?

According to the datasheet

"Capacitors rated below 1000 volts shall withstand a DC potential of 250 % of rated voltage applied between terminals for not more than 5 seconds. Capacitance rated 1000 volts and above shall withstand a DC potential of 200 % of rated voltage applied between the terminals for not more than 5 seconds."

But heres the catch

"The test voltage must be applied and discharged through a resistor of 1 ohm per volt."

I've been using DPM OR DMM from CD. I got a couple of these from epcos the price was right.

Hammy

What about the WWII M1 Garand, which used "en bloc" clips?

Ejected the clip when the last round was fired.

Approximately 6 million made.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse