Win Hill: Inverse Marx Generator ??

I can see that you carry a lot of stored, latent retardation.

Go to another group. You deserve to be closed and isolated.

Reply to
AM

I really doubt that you can see anything. However, I'll try to enlighten you on the off chance you may want to learn something. The box is a closed system. It contains some latent heat energy AND chemical energy in the battery (plus other energy which I'll ignore for this example). The battery's chemical energy is converted to electrical energy which is eventually converted to heat which raises the temperature of the box. There is no need for any external input of energy to raise the temperature of the box. Get it now? Art

Reply to
Artemus

You don't need Hobbs or Hill high power thought, this is simple freshman physics. Energy conservation and charge conservation are always true. In the above case the total charge in the system is near zero and doesn't change with time. There is charge separation in the cap and charge motion in the inductor, both store energy.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You are also easy to ignore.

Reply to
AM

There was energy used to charge the battery. That happened outside the box.

Performing the same set-up with a battery with nothing to offer will not follow your claim.

Since you did not specify that the battery for the lamp be charged, you failed to properly define the circumstance.

Bogus@invalid fits you well.

Reply to
AM

Particluarly when he's right, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

E = kT where k is Boltzmans constant. About 4X10^-21 Joules, IIRC.

George H.

(I think of temperature as the average energy of the 'little things' that have that temperature. The little things can be electrons, atoms, photons, whatever....)

Reply to
George Herold

You added energy to the system when you put the flashlight (batteries) into the box.

Reply to
krw

It's molecules that have kinetic energy, not Kelvins all by themselves. Boltzmans constant tells you kow much they have at a given temperature.

John

I specified "lighted flashlight."

John

Like the hypothetical box your mind is a closed system as well. Into the bozo bin with you. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Are you meaning the scenario with an inductor connecting two capacitors?

In that case the total charge on the two capacitors will be constant - it has to be. The integral of the current out of one cap is the same as the integral into the other. The only way for it to be different is if there is a connection to the other side of the capacitors.

If you add a switch (or just a diode) you can stop the process when maximum energy has been transferred to the second capacitor - this has been used for many decades in pulse RADAR systems to charge the pulse forming network.

I agree with you that it is not at all accurate to just quote the "Charge is conserved mantra" but in some situations it will be true.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Which ducks the phrase "conservation of charge".

The keywords are "charge converter", "time to charge" and "time to discharge" :-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Now you are being nothing more than a pissy little bitch.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

unless

=20

Which subset of machine guns are you talking about? Heard of AK47 or Uzi or M16?

Reply to
JosephKK

[snip]

As in, for example, a Cuk converter. ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Those are "automatic rifles".

They are what is a subset of 'machine gun'.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Total cap charge is preserved in that case, since the current history of all the caps in series must be the same.

My example was dumping one charged cap into an inductor, then connecting the inductor to a discharged, different-sized cap. All the energy can be transferred from C1 to C2, but the charge will change.

John

Why, John? Tell us why! Snicker :-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

No gun made uses clips. Many of them, however use 'magazines'. A clip is a device used to speed up the loading of a magazine. It allows the insertion of more than one cartridge at a time. I've even seen clips for revolvers.

A machine gun is one which uses some of the energy of the propellant to work the mechanism. They're self loaders.

Technically, something like an old Gatling gun isn't a machine gun. Human power is needed in those to chamber cartridges and eject shells.

Some machine guns are belt fed. Some aren't. Look at the old gangster 'Tommy' gun. It had either a straight magazine, or a cylindrical one. No belt.

mike

Reply to
m II