Ping Win Hill: AoC xChapters 3x.15.4 output monitor

Hi Win,

I just picked up a copy of the x-Chapters, and it has already proved itself quite useful!

I need to make a negative high-voltage pulser, so I'm going to employ a com bination of the two- and three-switch reversible kilovolt pulser designs. W hile I'm at it, I might as well include the output monitor.

I decided to simulate the monitor design shown in Figure 3x.114 in LTspice, but alas I'm having trouble with it. Here's a link to an image of the sche matic and traces of the non-inverting input of LT1363 (v_div) and the outpu t of BUF634 (v_out).

I'm simulating 0.1pF of self capacitance, and the BUF634 model comes from T I. (The BUF634a model doesn't help.) As you can see the output is quite uns table. The most improvement in stability is by increasing C3 to 1nF, althou gh I don't know if this is a disconnect from reality. See here in another s creenshot.

c/view?usp=sharing

So a couple of questions. Did you simulate this as well, or did you just bu ild the circuit? I'm questioning if the models are even perform well at ns resolution. My other question is if you have a board layout that you could share. I'm curious as to how to properly shield the output monitor as indic ated in the figure.

Thank you for any tips!

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B

After thought: Yes I'm posting a recreated schematic from the book, but it is from a sample chapter on the AoE website.

Reply to
Matt B

I did a Pockels cell driver, made a 7 ns wide pulse, 1200 volts, 4 MHz. One of the hardest parts was picking off a good monitor output.

After a couple of interesting failures, I wound up with this:

J1-J3, the output connector, is actually a 3-position Phoenix terminal block. It was getting hot from dielectric losses; I ripped the metal parts out of the unused J2 middle section, which helped a lot.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

lf quite useful!

ombination of the two- and three-switch reversible kilovolt pulser designs. While I'm at it, I might as well include the output monitor.

e, but alas I'm having trouble with it. Here's a link to an image of the sc hematic and traces of the non-inverting input of LT1363 (v_div) and the out put of BUF634 (v_out).

TI. (The BUF634a model doesn't help.) As you can see the output is quite u nstable. The most improvement in stability is by increasing C3 to 1nF, alth ough I don't know if this is a disconnect from reality. See here in another screenshot.

kvc/view?usp=sharing

build the circuit? I'm questioning if the models are even perform well at n s resolution. My other question is if you have a board layout that you coul d share. I'm curious as to how to properly shield the output monitor as ind icated in the figure.

Not sure I can help you Matt. Those composite amps can be tricky. If you can throw away signal... (and after all it's only a monitor. :^) Then I've done source terminated monitors.. Just a fast buffer and 450 + 50 ohms on the output.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

elf quite useful!

combination of the two- and three-switch reversible kilovolt pulser designs . While I'm at it, I might as well include the output monitor.

ce, but alas I'm having trouble with it. Here's a link to an image of the s chematic and traces of the non-inverting input of LT1363 (v_div) and the ou tput of BUF634 (v_out).

m TI. (The BUF634a model doesn't help.) As you can see the output is quite unstable. The most improvement in stability is by increasing C3 to 1nF, alt hough I don't know if this is a disconnect from reality. See here in anothe r screenshot.

Pkvc/view?usp=sharing

build the circuit? I'm questioning if the models are even perform well at ns resolution. My other question is if you have a board layout that you cou ld share. I'm curious as to how to properly shield the output monitor as in dicated in the figure.

Thank you, John. If I understand it, you used a capacitive voltage divider to to drive the gate of a biased fet? Do the two 22nF caps go off to someth ing unrelated in the top left corner?

And interesting observation on the dielectric losses. That isn't something I have come across.

Reply to
Matt B

self quite useful!

combination of the two- and three-switch reversible kilovolt pulser design s. While I'm at it, I might as well include the output monitor.

ice, but alas I'm having trouble with it. Here's a link to an image of the schematic and traces of the non-inverting input of LT1363 (v_div) and the o utput of BUF634 (v_out).

om TI. (The BUF634a model doesn't help.) As you can see the output is quite unstable. The most improvement in stability is by increasing C3 to 1nF, al though I don't know if this is a disconnect from reality. See here in anoth er screenshot.

APkvc/view?usp=sharing

t build the circuit? I'm questioning if the models are even perform well at ns resolution. My other question is if you have a board layout that you co uld share. I'm curious as to how to properly shield the output monitor as i ndicated in the figure.

In reality I likely only need to condition the signal to play nice with sco pe probe.

Reply to
Matt B

That's from the 1200 volt Pockels pulser.

I had all sorts of problems. PCBs getting hot from skin loss in traces and dielectric loss in the FR4. I fried two generations of Coilcraft inductors that, superficially, should have been fine. Skin loss again. I had to wind my own, and arrange for heat transfer to keep them from smoking.

The green thing is the Phoenix with its guts ripped out.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

D'oh. Not sure how I missed that. For some reason I was thinking it was coming from the Phoenix connector.

Reply to
Matt B

There are some very affordable high-voltage scope probes available from Amazon.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin