Win Hill: Inverse Marx Generator ??

It's conserved in some circuits, such as caps and resistances in series with no shunt paths, like Jim's ancient riddle (or is it ancient Jim's riddle?) It's not conserved in other cases, like my inductive energy transfer example, or when you just plain discharge a cap through a resistor.

That's not vaccillating, that's the way the world is. As I've said all along.

Energy is conserved. You can count on that.

What can I say, but be careful about using "conservation of charge" in circuit design? Maybe Jim will publish his mathematical proof that charge is always conserved in electronic circuits. Let's give him a few more weeks to work it up.

John

I see...

More dancing.

What I was specifically referring to was your statement, above:

"Yup. Energy is conserved in the restacking-the-caps case, but charge
isn't. That was my simple point all along. Thanks for the
confirmation."

Is that still your opinion?
Reply to
John Fields

Do you charge batteries in coulombs? Lots of people use amp-hours.

From your power utility, do you get billed in joules?

John

Yup. If you put 1 coulomb into a circuit, make a zero-energy rearrangement and then discharge it, and you can't get a coulomb out, I can't see how you could derive anything useful, or safe, from the idea that charge is conserved.

Energy is conserved. That's useful.

John

No. One charges batteries WITH coulombs.

And that would equate to 3600 coulombs.

Note how that number has significance with our time base, then consider why.

No, we get billed in dollars. FOR what is essentially joules.

It is getting to the point where they'll bill us dollars for millijoules. The greedy bastards.

Reply to
AM

Bwuahahahahahaahahaha!

Reply to
AM

--
In essence, yeah, since one fills them up with as many electrons as
are needed to reverse the chemical reaction that happened when

What do you want from AlwaysWrong?

A milliampere-second still does not mean that a milliampere flowed for a second, AlwaysWrong. You're wrong, as always.

You're always wrong, AlwaysWrong.

We all understand that you were born that way, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Wrong.

Wrong again.

Wrong again. That's three strikes, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

You would love it.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit. If the light is on, it is emitting energy.

Period.

Reply to
AM

A noble aspiration for one in your sandals, but pray tell, what makes you think he actually HAS an Elephant? Have you worked for him before?

mike

Reply to
m II

Did you miss the part about the box, and the flashlight it contains, being a closed and isolated system? Art

Reply to
Artemus

That's one. Charles's Law will give another. Art

Reply to
Artemus

"Edwina... back in bowl!" --Prahka Lasa

Reply to
AM

If the light is on, it is adding heat to the box.

Reply to
AM

Actually, over here we do, they base gas and electricity bills on the energy used over billing period, so gas of different types (say propane bottled gas vs piped natural gas) has a conversion factor applied to produce an equivalent Mj consumed amount ;) Gas bills had that Mj conversion factor stated as long as I remember.

So, yes!

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

What, you have some different definition of 'discharged'?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

--
He's not always wrong, and I don't understand why you guys don't cut
him some slack.

Here lately he was talking about easing up on his rancor, and he even
asked a couple of questions neutrally, but all it seemed to gain him
was more hostility.

It's not like he doesn't want to be here, so if he makes mistakes,
like we all do, why not just correct them, graciously, in order to
help him see where his errors lie instead of just beating him up for
making them.
Reply to
John Fields

You really can't take the ball and run it to the goal line can you? Art

Reply to
Artemus