WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?

You have to get to know that settings and learn how to give it more timeslices. You can even do it while it is running and from editing the settings file(s).

A good benchmark is a fractal gen app or a CPU emulator running code, like the MAME arcade game emulator.

You should be able to get some real good performance if it gets set up right. You can also give the overall process more cpu power from the main OS controls.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Even letting it bring a fast machine to its knees, it's a good 20 times slower than native. Of course, lots of DOS programs were written for machines slower still, but it's still a waste.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It has settings. Seriously, that is the point. In its default, there are several timings throttled.

There are old DOS benchmarks you can run too (and set it up faster). THAT would be a good test, not just quacking about the baseline settings.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Trust me, I've tweaked all the settings. Dosbox is more stable than dosemu, but it's slow as molasses flowing uphill in January.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I believe you, because I know what kind of systems you are operating (since your recent broadcast).

So, what we need to do is look into the source and see where the bottleneck is at. :-)

That "MAME" emulator I mentioned has emulation code in it for every processor you can likely name from the 70s 80s and 90s. It is open source. The ROMs for playing specific games are what is protected IP. But the base app is VERY robust, because it has been through like a hundred iterations over years. There are over 10,000 stand up arcade type video games that operate under it and run the exact code. It even emulates the laser disc based games now.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

*Walking around* with any format memory stick is useless, unless it's being worn as jewelry :-)
                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I always have a SanDisk "stick" _and_ a SanDisk micro adapter in my pocket, along with my Nano Light, Swiss Army knife, and tape measure ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Chacun à son goût :-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Indeed ;-)

I started doing that when some clients wanted to give me documents in crazy-nut places (like my recent NY stay) where I had no network access rights. Some stuff was E-mailed to me, but I couldn't get it until I was back at my hotel in the evening. I've contemplated those "Mobile Hotspot" gimmicks, but the cost was too much for my infrequent use. ...Jim Thompson

I picked up one of these things for $30 retail:

Works like a charm. So next time I'm stuck in a hotel that only has wired internet in the rooms, the notebook won't be tethered to the desk, and I'll be able to use one or more WiFi devices that don't have Ethernet ports. No wall wart- the universal power supply is built-in and the prongs fold in for travel.

I wouldn't plug it into someone's company net without permission though- their ever-lovable IT folks could well freak at the potential security breach.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I don't remember the last time I was in a hotel that had wired Internet (either wireless or turn on the wayback machine - modem).

I've decided to get a 4G phone so I can plug in anywhere. The Internet at work is locked down so tight it's no fun at all (I like to read at lunch). A cow-orker gets pretty amazing datarates on his 4G at his desk. Verizon has a

4GB for $30 deal now, so I guess it's the end of this 2-year contract (after 4.5 years ;-). The phones are getting pretty ratty. ;-)
Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Thu, 05 Jan 2012 22:23:11 -0500) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in :

I wrote a few scripts, and just plug my nokia in the laptop USB.

4 G yes, much easier with a real keyboard. I also have a Huawei adaptor that accepts the same card as in the nokia. (This is old Nokia, not some win thing).

The other thing I did yesterday is make a bootable USB stick with a real Linux system on it. Not a 'live' version, but a real one, with all my special programs and scripts. As it constantly writes to the USB FLASH I am just curious how long this USB stick will last. The nice thing is that all data and configuration is saved, even if the laptop HD fails and what not, if it can still boot it is as new on this stick. Good data protection too, steal the laptop and you have no info of value, the USB stick goes in my pocket. And as it is reiserfs most 'finders' would get an erro message in their win PC/ Ordered a large size 16 GB SD card to store some multimedia, boing - just arrived. It is full now, some AVI and about 750 mp3s...

Vodafone network, it has its limitations, but then why am I still with them after all those years? Because in the end I can connect everywhere.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje