WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The only annoyance I've found so far (after 2 months of periodic use and setup) is that some old Application installers don't run on the x64 version. You can get around that by running the installer on XP then go into the temp folder and copy the extracted files. Otherwise everything I have seems to run happily and much faster ;) Oh, and Ubuntu runs like a charm under Vbox. ( Its an Acer with an Mobile Intel i5)

Martin Riddle

I'd be curious as to what software you have been using over the last 20 years?

P.S. I do have a Win98 desktop and Laptop still in working order. I also have some W2k machines. I need them around for older software to operate correctly in hardware controllers.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

surroundings.

But two m's is the only correct way because the root word is "Flamme" which means "flame".

Have you watched in the kitchen how they make Flammkuchen?

Quote from the ingreadients list:

200 g Crème fraîche or Schmand 50 g heavy cream

That's quite a load.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Awww shit, that leaves me out. I'm not a professor and only have a short beard which will be gone when I shave.

I do agree that most of the youth today have no clue that usenet even exists. Its kind of hillarious when you learn that they rarely even type anymore. They just load their dull facebook pages, read a few lines, and click the "LIKE" button if one brain cell becomes stimulated. What's even more amazing is that there is no "Dislike" button. And to do this, they need 20 times the amount of RAM, 100 times the amount of drive space, and a processor that is 500 times faster, and uses 5 times the amount of electricity, just to click that damn "Like" button.

I guess to use a computer and internet these days, one needs to be nearly brain-dead. Microsoft did all the thinking, and bloating, and more bloating, creating a power hungry computer which doubles as a home heater, when the 4 cpu fans kick out the heat, and overload the home air conditioner in summer. But hey, our obese youth need some sort of mental stimulation while they sit on their fat asses eating greasy snacks and sucking down diabetes causing energy drinks that seem to cause a negative flow of energy in them. (So much for saving energy, it's no wonder that the govt. is banning incandescent light bulbs, because all the saved electricity is needed to power these bloated computers, required to push those "LIKE" buttons!

The good thing for us old timers is that the GOOD computers that once sold for thousands of dollars are now being sold for $10 at second hand stores, and Windows98 is available to download for free all over the internet.

Now if only I could figure out how to kill those goddamn facebook icons that infect every website in the universe!

With any hope, those who write computer viruses will someday find a way to completely destroy facebook. They'd be doing the whole world a favor, and maybe even save the lives of a few of these young people who are heart-attack time bombs waiting to happen!

Reply to
jw

We found out that the search requires an object to be highlighted or in focus. Then it actually works.

I'm surprised the networking works better, didn't MS buy or use the original BSD tcpip/ip stack since Win98?

Martin Riddle

uth.

Linux is really nice. Started out with just booting a Knoppix Live CD when I wanted to do online banking (to make sure no keystroke logger malware was emailing my passwords to hackers) and next thing I know, I rarely ever go to the Windows XP partition anymore. I pretty much go there just to run TurboTax.

The shell takes a bit of getting used to. Last night after copying a CD I bought, I wanted to do something like "ren *.mp3 evanescence*.mp3", but the Linux shell didn't like that. Rather than write a whole #!/bin/sh script I just did it manually. A pain, I know. That's pretty much my only gripe with Linux. It's fast enough on a Pentium 4. =3D)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

surroundings.

Probably the red onions that are doing you in ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Everything needed to use the internet / web/ usenet / email mostly Firefox, Agent, Thunderbird.

Paint Shop Pro (older versions), used regularly. Gif Animator and other graphic software, since I do a lot of graphic work. Winamp is at the top of my list of used programs, along with Media Player Classic which plays all the latest and older videos.

I have numerous utilities, even a lot of old Dos programs which I still use.

I can do anything with this 10 year old computer running Win98se, than people can do with their power hungry modern bloated systems. The only place I find Win98 lacking is for USB support, but that's why I have a copy of Win2000 installed to dual boot.

There are some persons who have actually made some upgrades for Win98 that allow it to cope with more modern software, like firefox 3.x. Look for Kernal-Ex.

Reply to
jw

My god, you must be up there, I used to use DR-Dos years ago and loved it when peter norton made his tools that actually worked.

I still have DR-DOS on Media along with Windows 1.1 on 5.25 Floppies just as a reminder. :)

I had a CP/M machine not to long ago, that finally went in the trash. It was too large to keep around for memorial peace of mine.

I also have a CBM machine packed away.., Oh yeah, those were the days.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Before it kills it does worse things. One of the guys in the place we visit with our therapy dogs is a rocket scientist. Not a joke, it's pretty sad, he's got Alzheimer's :-(

Much, yes. But not all, and that's the problem. If I did not have Windows I could simply not fulfill all of the duties my job brings with it.

(Vrije Universiteit) Amsterdam

Good luck to the guys who then enter the corporate world and find out that this is all extinct there.

able to process it.

Yes, also for original work. Because my clients expect me to deliver it in compatible formats that they can re-use. 100% of them run Windows, usually XP. Not that I am happy about that, but that's just how it is.

MS stuff.

Never going to happen here, way too many security and reliability concerns. I have witnessed one case where a cloud went down for a while. It provided some folks with a brief unplanned vacation :-)

MS OS, and that is not even free.

the whole idea

Hmm, no software from Russia in there yet.

Don't make jokes about it, I know a lot of people who do from my volunteer work and it is very sad.

I know. But I don't need "huge", I need something simple that does the job with ease. MS-Works was available right when I started self-employed for the first time, more than 20 years ago. There is a major advantage to software with this much longevity.

Try the Pizza from "Kaefer". When I was living in Europe that was the absolute top contender when it came to pre-packaged meals. But also very expensive.

Hardly anyone in Europe is taking the (self-generated) warning too seriously and that can backfire, because the financial problem you are facing is rather structural in nature. It can't be fixed with one or two bail-outs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No, I get that from just about anything that's made with this much fat. Maybe a natural repellant action by my body :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe it's as simple as you're allergic to milk products? ...Jim Thompson

Nope. I can drink milk all day long, even fresh from the cow. I like Camembert and Brie, but only the good stuff imported from France. Same for Pecorino and the other great cheeses. The only problem is that the milk-based products I like best are also the most expensive ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

for file in *.mp3; do mv $file evanescence$file; done

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Thanks for the reality check. I have win7 and opensuse linux. I have so much software that doesn't work under wine, plus peripherals that only have windows drivers. Color management is poor under linux, though a fix is in the works.

Win 7 is great. I doubt anything in win 8 will make me upgrade.

BTW, for games, open GL is crap. Sucks on linux, sucks more on the mac because the mac OS isn't free. The keyword is sucks. DirectX is so much faster.

Apple was supposed to dump some money into the open GL OSS so Macs wouldn't be so shitty, but it didn't happen.

While I'm dissing linux, alsa is plain awful. You will note sound is the only thing Apple bothered to write (besides a GUI) when they went to OSX. There was no way they could inflict ALSA on the general public. Now the alsa people work damn hard, but they get little cooperation from hardware manufacturers, Creative being the exception.

Linux is great for non-stop computing, and no viruses in two decades. If you want to roll your own programs, linux has plenty of free tools.

Most of the OSS that you fine on windows works better on Linux, especially VLC. However VLC doesn't use much hardware acceleration, so it doesn't work well on low power CPUs. I run XBMC for my HTPC on windows, just to get the good video drivers.

Reply to
miso

I spent the last 12 years using unix/solaris and then RedHat linux for all CAD work. ViewLogic, Hspice, Cadence, Mentor, Synopsys, etc. OpenOffice covered the office apps and TBird/Firefox for mail/net. We could run Windows under vmware but I rarely did as it was a resource hog.

Reply to
thumper

Thats one good thing about Win98. Viruses are almost extinct for it. The biggest problem I've had in years are those damn toolbars that get installed. I've become much more alert watching for them. If they come bundled with another download program, I delete the whole program.

Reply to
jw

Yeah. What a PITA. I installed a program for Firefox (can't remember which) and I didn't see the Yahoo! baggage that came with it.

Turns out there is no easy way to get rid of it. Sort of like a virus. I looked online and finally found that you have to jump through hoops like disabling all your add-ons and some other crap than then re-enabling. I now am very attentive to every box that pops up.

Reply to
John S

Since I am a consultant I need to run all sorts of CAD programs, control software for lab equipment and so on. Often these are rental licenses and I have to become productive within the hour (because they pay me by the hour ...). Other times I am at a client, some serious issue is at hand, everyone waiting for the consultant (me) to find the magic bullet. Until I get there I might not even know what kind of lab gear they rented but the control software for it must install right away and it's always for Windows. There would not be time to try some tricks to get it going under Wine etc. At least I wouldn't want to take the chance.

The topper was an analyzer that used IrDA, had a strange IrDA-RS232 interface, and that one required the install of Windows-SW from the days of Methusaleh, on a floppy disk (!).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

.

I say a plague on all your houses!! I have never found any trouble with Xp or Win7, however, most people don't do program development or research on their PC and all they need is an Aple Ipad2. It will do the things that joe public want best ie internet, songs, videos, pics and games. Welcome to the world of the computer as a toy.

hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer