Anyone for a cardboard PC?

Cheers Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:

Coupon Specials:

Don McKenzie

not enough usb ports

Reply to
son of a bitch

Take a close look at the hard drive mounting method.

I ventilate all my drives with fans. Whether they want it or not. Sure, notebook drives are not so stringent with heat dissipation requirements, but if the user wants to upgrade to a huge 3.5" drive...

I'm concerned about the cost. The manufacture costs would be outrageous, and the losses due to offcuts would be worse.

But since the end user pays for that - It doesn't matter.

And more importantly, the thing the f*cking greenies never consider - how many bloody trees had to die to make that one case???

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Certain to be a buzz in geekland. But even with the huge numbers of units involved, the amount of material in packaging computers has to be relatively small, and likely to shrink or not grow over time. OTOH, I say full marks to people who are devising ways to improve our ability to utilise renewables and enable recycling, the world is going to increasingly need it.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

**All very well, except for a couple of things:

  • Cases are mostly steel and/or aluminium. As such, they last a very long time. One can (I know I have) moved new motherboards into old cases for many years. A cardboard case will not have a long lifespan under real-world conditions.

  • Steel and aluminium (and many plastics) can be recycled.

Personally, I get more excited about being able to recycle PCBs, ICs and other hard to recycle stuff. To me, it looks more like a way to cash in on people's desire to do the right thing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The steel cases persist for a long time but do they last for a long time. I keep my pc's for many years bus what's the average lifespan - 18 months??

Perhaps cases should be kept and the internals upgraded (more than they are now at least).

Maybe it is.

Reply to
Polyp

.

ts

ay

any

Have been using the same case since 2004, had about 3 new boards through it in that time though ;)

Discarded cases invariably end up at the metal recycling centre anyway.

With the Gold price back above $1000 oz - it may be viable to look at extracting gold from this electronic waste (if the process is feasible)

Reply to
KR

..

its

say

ng

re

on

here is a suggestion for printer recycling

might work better than the ones you get at the discount stores ;)

Reply to
KR