WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?

He even had to rewrite part of his book because of this.

Vista was basically "Windows XP Millennium", ie a marketing device designed to make the following OS look fast compared.

True. Not the easiest one but once you get accustomed you can't live without it. On free operating systems (don't forget BSD and others) nobody leaves out a feature to make you pay for it at the next release, and nobody slows down the system like a slug because they're pushing their crappy development platform (.NET).

I purchased recently a couple mini PC by ASRock, both without operating system as I would have installed Linux on them. That made me save some good money.

Reply to
asdf

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:12:18 -0600) it happened snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote in :

Beautiful writing, my hat of to you!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:34:25 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Very difficult to answer that. First there IS no problem, Europe got along just fine before the Euro, and did with the Euro, it is just the demonrat George Sores plan to speculate against the Euro countries to camouflage the fact that the US debt is now equal to its national product. Who will lend you money? You have only 'make war' left. And when it comes to that do NOT under estimate Europe. You could only make a bomb with European scientific research, by buying those scientist (like Enrico Fermi), and get to space later by using for example Von Braun. US tests show that he level of the students there is really really bad. China just activated its own GPS,... US is getting way behind, needs Russian taxies to the International Spacejunk Station. Soon you have no more money to pay your sailors in the nuculear subs, and the soldiers in your armies. US will fall apart like a piece of cake. Will be one warlord against the other, I KNOW this, I have seen Schwarzenegss movies. hehe :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:46:54 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Same here, ctrl alt F7 takes me back to X. I run the early fvwm, 9 virtual screens, 8 color xterms (or rxvt), one has the xfm file manager. To get it to work, the old fvwm, I had to replace that Xorg stuff with xfree. I prefer the xterms to the command line, but sometimes I use the command line. gpm...

I am not sure if xfree will be around in the future, or support all the drivers that Xorg does, I am contemplating buying something with the new AMD GPUs (bulldozer, whatever), and that needs drivers that perhaps only work in Xorg, dunno, will see. Best time to buy is after new year, prices will drop (usually). Maybe I will stop with computahs altogether, I was first to start with it, maybe will be the first to leave. Trends come and go...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:46:55 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Probably, have not been to that place for some years:

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:50:45 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Not all banks in Europe do that, ABN-AMRO uses a calculator, you get a challenge number, enter it in the calculator, it gives a reply, you type that, and if the reply is correct then the transaction goes. That calculator accepts your bank-pass and you need to type your PIN in that calculator too. So all you need to carry is the bank-pass and the calculator (and a laptop of course). I am now in my 4rth calculator, the first one was replaced because it had a problem (every body got a new one), the second one got wet and the LCD became unreadable, the third one the batteries ran out... Its secure, although I think.. OK cannot say that here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:25:27 -0800 (PST)) it happened HardySpicer wrote in :

Possible, but my Linux PC as media centre that does video, audio, TV, satellite TV, internet, editing of all that stuff, special effects, is now 10 years old. Oh, and it does security cam recording, web browsing, email, used to run a webserver, mail server, name server, ftp server, all the same box. On 24/7. What do people want? It is the industry that creates desire. Jobs created a desire for those ipod ipad i-something.... Apple never touched me, I never bought an Apple product. And I still do not see the point of rubbing on some fragile piece of glass. How can I write C code with that? Reminds me of the early ZX80 ZX81 foil keyboard. I actually wrote some asm on that,, I would not call those Apple-like products 'progress', no...

But OK if you can edit your videos by just rubbing a screen... fine with me. Cumbersome when you have to repeat it a year later... Scripting?

And I already have several cellphones, some even with video and internet.

Joe public needs to be educated. man everything you buy today also has a camera in it. Last year I counted all the cameras I had in the room, I came to 12...

Strange, very strange... it is strange ;-)

Never use them, tested all of them though. Where did I see this recently? A ballpen with a camera in it:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Dec 2011 02:40:30 +0000 (UTC)) it happened gregz wrote in :

I sometimes ssh from the couch from my Linux netbook to my Linux PC, and then can do anything I can do on the PC, including watching video and TV. Plus I have a real keyboard.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Another quirk is, if you joined a Domain, starting without being connected to the Domain, then shutting down. It appears to Hang. Havent really looked into it. But found out after experimenting with upgrading Samba. It Probably is trying connect to the Domain even if you log in locally. Maybe it's just that there is a trust relation ship that is broken, since I've been going back and forth between samba 3.0.33 and 3.5.4 and rejoining the domain but not unjoining from the domain.

Martin Riddle

As long as it can access all the websites you use. I have five different browsers installed on this computer.

Michael A. Terrell

Robert Baer wrote in news:Ja- dnfTZzOkT02DTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

drivers for W98SE are a problem on ANY PC,old or new; it's the newer peripherals you're trying to use that don't have W98se drivers.

I'm still running W98se,on a 900Mhz Athlon from the 1990's,on it's third power supply. no new printers have drivers for W98se,AFAIK.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Joerg has lots of phf-f-f-f-ft problems too ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Oh, and you seriously believe that Greece would be just fine if there was no Soros?

And who exactly makes the processors and chips in your PCs with which everything is calculated? The world is all a collaborative effort, we can't easily live without each other. For example, if there was no America you would now either report to an Obergauleiter or live in a Soviet "republic". Both rather scary thoughts.

That is plain wrong. Schools have some serious problems here but uhniversities make fine engineers. I know, because I live here and work with them every day.

Only in your dreams. First Greece and some other countries will take you to the cleaners. You might still be in denial about it but it's happening right now.

movies.

Arnold was a good governor but his movies never appealed to me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Only after I ate beans :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

yeah, I love that musical fruit.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:51:48 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Well, takes one to know one I guess:-)

movies.

Well, he made some good movies, all is relative of course, I liked 'the fifth element' better.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:58:21 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Yes, but it can be lost and used by somebody else. There is also a know attack (in fact several) against TAN. Dunno if they fixed that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not surprised if he runs Windows :-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Yecch! Carrying code keys around, written in clear!

Codebooks falling into Allied hands enabled the WWII cryptanalysts to break Enigma that much faster.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It's 3 commands concatenated, really.

Most Bash-type shells will go interactive, if you just type the "for" command on its own. You can then type as many subsequent commands as you like, one to a line. When you type "done", the whole shebang will execute.

The shell will expand $file to the name of the next file every time it loops. If the name contains spaces, the shell will happily deal with them. You only need to quote spaces in filenames actually typed on the command line. Leave the quotes off.

You could do: for x in *.mp3; do mv $x evanescence$x; done

instead, it means the same thing.

I prefer to quote spaces with a backslash, or better still, not use spaces in filenames at all. I use an underscore, instead.

There's a difference between single and double quotes, BTW.

You're welcome.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse