WTF would ANYONE buy a WIn 7 PC?

risk,

dunnit

in a

locations,

More like two minutes.

Reply to
krw

I'm just cleaning up my system no. AV didn't catch the bugger. Still doesn't. I had to restore the system and apps (kinda cute, no data is harmed in the process).

A layer. Strong? It's protection for the bank, though.

Reply to
krw

What you should have done is watch the documentary on the subject.

Take a look at the "configure" virus.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

That is why he said DATA should be spread across several locations, you illiterate twit.

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

they

knows,

money in a

locations,

Talk to someone who applied for a green card.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

risk,

in a

Li'l town in Germany. That's easy. However, I've once witnessed the desparation of someone who was born in Eastern Germany. The hospital no longer existed and the town claimed to have no records about him. Something like that can seriously put you up the creek.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

the

they

knows,

money in a

locations,

Who was getting a birth certificate "here in the US"? Now you have me really confused.

My point was that there is (usually) very little that is truly that irreplaceable. If it is, it had better be stored in multiple locations. I learned this lesson when I was volunteered to do "disaster recovery planning" at work. Turns out we had no "critical resources" because everything was recoverable or not "critical". The job wasn't as miserable as first thought. ;-)

Reply to
krw

risk,

dunnit

in a

locations,

Hardly the general case.

Reply to
krw

extra time for the TAN.

network.

You should know WinNT and later have equivalent of /etc/hosts, done to get that naval contract, the one with the blue screened warship? Just so MSFT could tick the POSIX compatible box ;)

In Linux the user should not have the rights to change that file, and if they surf the web as root, they deserve trouble.

Of course Windoze defaults to super user (administrator) rights, thus non secure by design.

Otherwise I agree mostly what you add.

Grant.

Reply to
omg

Is there any instance where you are not spewing complete and utter BULLSHIT!?

Reply to
FatBytestard

of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

the

they

Then I

knows,

money in a

locations,

It can also happen here:

It's not so bad anymore these days. For example, one can scan everything so at least you have a facsimile of a document that only exists once.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

money in a

locations,

Ask some older native Americans abuot that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

amount of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

card

pay

the

while

they

Then I

knows,

money in a

too.

locations,

Formal "original" birth certificates are rare in the US, unless issued by a hospital or a church (my parents had no "certificates", just notations in the front pages of Bibles :-). Birth records are a function usually of the county, sometimes the state... which has a "book of records". You request certified copies of your "birth record". I was born in DC... you get a photocopy with a crimped seal to use for passports, etc. ...Jim Thompson

amount of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

card

pay

the

while

they

Then I

knows,

money in a

too.

locations,

Sure, sometimes the county clerk's office burns making a mess (happened to my mother when the town she lived in burned). Usually it needs to be corrected once and then a "certificate" is remade from scratch (with judge presiding and all that). From then on, everything is normal. Again, replaceable.

Which is useless. Everyone wants a "sealed" copy. Even Obama can photoshop a birth certificate. ;-)

Reply to
krw

money in a

locations,

Hardly the general case.

Reply to
krw

of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

they

knows,

money in a

locations,

It was just in response to the general statement "They're available where you were born". Sometimes they are not. Even in the non-native population it can be difficult, sometimes there's only an entry in someone's bible but no certificate and no other record. For example because old Leroy was born at the ranch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

of risk,

draft

dunnit

credit

the

they

knows,

money in a

locations,

"Kind of tough with a birth certificate :-)" is a general statement. It's not (generally) tough, at all.

Reply to
krw

or trojan or whatever

address, but to 110.11.112.113

fake copy).

is a script running

and pasword,

other alien place.

again, please enter TAN NN"

like:

an other account.

Don't you just hate explaining to adults what every script kiddies knows?

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

Just which tools do you use in linux (and on which distro)?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

No. With those 'dd' options yopu wrecked the sector backup, from 'man dd' about 'conv=' options:

" noerror continue after read errors

sync pad every input block with NULs to ibs-size; when used with block or unblock, pad with spaces rather than NULs " Now would would any sane person copy that script-kiddie line, I've seen it quoted before, many times. Looked wrong so I rebooted to slackware to ask for the man page (probably quicker to JFGI, hindsight so wonderful :)

One cerainly doesn't skip read errors. Nor does one want to convert zeroes to 0x20 padding (probably irrelevant? Certainly useless).

Modern tool is ntfsclone, does empty sector skipping and other tools for ntfs can repair some filesystem errors that windoze barfs on.

Grant.

Reply to
omg