the 100W bulb lives on....

Like I did half a page above, for comparing 23-26W CFL to non-crappy A19 incandescents?

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

Most incandescents are not being banned.

I mention the many exceptions, and a link to the relevant legislation, at:

 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Examples of what is not being screwed by the ban.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Sure, just the useful ones. The left is happy for us to keep our 4W Christmas bulbs, as long as we don't call them that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I am averaging about 5K hours with CFLs life so far, including ones in an enclosed flush-mount ceiling fixture, some in a ceiling fan, and some in a bathroom.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Klipste>>

wavelength

lot

that

such

Most

yore

Man! You're moving those goalposts right along tonight, Bloggsie!

Reply to
krw

Klipste>>

wavelength

lot

that

such

Most

yore

all,

 It

quoted text -

Don't snort it.

Reply to
krw

Exceptions include:

  • Ones that meet an energy efficiency standard that a few Philips and some GE halogens already meet (Available at Home Depot and Target)

  • At least basically all with design light output outside the 310-2600 lumen range

  • All with design voltage outside the 110-130V range

  • All with non-screw base

  • With some exceptions, all with screw base of size other than E26/E27

  • Appliance ones up to 40W, rough/vibration service, shatter-resistant, most colored ones, globular ones at least 5 inches in diameter, reflectorized floodlights/spotlights, traffic signal, and some others.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Right, anything except the useful ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Right, anything except the useful ones. You uebermenschen are soooo merciful to us poor benighted slobs.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How does that save oil?

Reply to
krw

What's useless about a 70W 1600 lumen halogen that looks and shines like a medium-base 100W incandescent?

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

It costs N times more, Who made you folks so special, that I have to have your permission to buy what I want with my own money?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

legislation,

But it's *NOT* your money. It's Obama's.

Reply to
krw

You're ignoring the cost of the PCB, diodes, Vdrop ckt (resistor?), Edison base & glass enclosure so you end up with a bulb that goes in the existing socket, and works.

I'm clueless as to what it would cost to buy a bulb shaped enclosure into which you could place the 10 LEDs and then glue on an Edison base, but I'd bet the total cost would be more than double the $10 for the LEDs. In fact, the bulb shape enclosue/Edison base configuration might prove to be unobtanium in low quantity where your LED bulb ends up cheap enough to be worthwhile.

And dismissing your time is invalid, if the intent is to compare the cost of a regular bulb vs a LED bulb. If you were doing the thing as an experiment/learning experience, then ignoring the cost of your time is fine. You will spend a LOT of time on this, finding sources for the Edison base & suitable bulb shaped enclosures, figuring out how to assemble the ckt board, base & enclosure making the PCB and putting everything together.

All in all, it's cheaper to buy the existing LED bulb at ~$50 than to build your own. Of course, then you don't get the "fun" of developing your own solution.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Not within its life expectancy, including electricity cost at USA average residential rate, it doesn't.

And that was before GE started bringing down the cost of A19-like halogens that meet the energy efficiency standard, by not even needing HIR technology to achieve them.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

islation,

et)

00
27

nt,

Right. No compulsory re-education camps to get you up to speed on the subjects you are pontificating about ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

75
.

de

ost

It's simple, but it falls down because most people want to buy what they bought last time.

If you want to discourage people from wasting money and power by buying filament bulbs you've either got to raise the price enough for them to notice - and filament bulbs are cheap enough that this would just create a smuggling business, or ban them.

Face it. Sometimes you need to get people to behave differently.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

cost

But not quite a good as James Arthur likes to think. In particular,

310 million people buying the light bulbs that they bought last time isn't going to save the power and the money that could be saved by stopping them from buying incandescent filament bulbs. The free market doesn't actually produce the optimum distribution of resources, no matter how much easier that assumption makes it to generate - hopelessy inaccurate - economic predictions.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

CFL initial purchase costs more, but when you include their lifetime consumption of electricity the total cost is cheaper. Consumers need some hefty encouragement to see this since the price on the shelf is all they ever see. Electricity bills are typically extremely opaque.

It does save some energy and CO2 emissions though which is no bad thing. (it doesn't save enough but it is a step in the right direction)

You can still buy more efficient quartz halogen filament bulbs even where classical filament bulbs have been withdrawn. We are not that far off having higher efficiency solid-state LED bulbs available now.

As for CFLs I find that some *are* slow to start and the better ones are not. I stick to a handful of brands I know that really work well. I understand there are outdoor rated ones for a better cold start. UK being nominal 240v makes lumen/watt different too in favour of the CFL.

I am sure you can find other really dodgy CFLs in cheap Jack under a dollar stores that catch fire and fail early.

They are all pretty useless as spotlights. LEDs should score highly at that...

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown