the 100W bulb lives on....

Yes- that is a good technique- eliminates a lot of the thermal short.

That's what I don't get. Usually when the walls are insulated the ceiling is left uninsulated to allow for greater heat infiltration from the first floor.

That's a new one, usually interior wall insulation is for fire barrier and/or noise attenuation, and not so much for partitioning the heat/ cool conditioning...

Well that heat was hardly running at all- I don't know why you even mentioned it... Makes no difference what kind of heating you use there, the house is so tight.

How would it look like crap if it was hidden? What kind of window aperature do you have as a percentage of total floor space?

Just reading your description makes me gasp for oxygen- does your house have mechanical ventilation at all?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

it?

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

at

range

iler

een

You obviously don't know crap about anything... a crummy little boiler is cheap and can always remain in a permanent system as backup similar to the heat pump strip heater...take a hike.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You are willing to resort to compulsion over the most trivial matters, and you apparently care nothing for liberty. I'm sure glad I don't have a HOA with you on the board. Unfortunately I do have someone of that sort as my head of government. At the moment.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've often thought that, rather than outright prohibition, it would be better to just require incandescents to be bundled with a voucher for 1000 hours of electricity. IOW, make the box price match the actual "cost".

That way, people could still use them where they make sense (e.g. places where they may only be on for brief periods), but wouldn't buy them out of a misplaced perception that they're cheap.

As to the libertarian nonsense: we can talk about a free market once electricity generators are required to capture and store all of their pollutants. Until then, the public is entitled to place conditions on the de-facto subsidy.

Reply to
Nobody

rote:

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

where

ou do

And 75

=A0So

ns or

t the

ts ).

just

20%.
20

out

rovide

al cost

.

There's nothing trivial about anthropogenic global warming - even the groups that want to devalue teh scientific evidence that it is real are willing to spend millions on their indefensible propaganda - and the not-all-that-minor reduction in CO2 emissions that we can get by persuading the population to go over to CFL's from incandesecent filament lamps are well worth having.

It is a pity that filament lamps are too cheap and too ubiquitous for education and taxation to work, but we've lived with more drastic civil compulsions in other areas.

Liberty is nice, but we are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - not just one of the three - and unrestrained anthropogenic global warming does threaten the lives of at least some of our descendants, and would severely crimp their pursuit of happiness. Our father's generation were conscripted to fight wars in foreign lands, which was a rather more drastic curtailment of their liberty in pursuit of what might be seems as a more "trivial" goal. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan didn't offer the kind of people we'd willingly import to reshape our societies, but their ministrations weren't likely to have lead to the kind of general population crash which unrestrained anthropogenic global warming could provoke.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The mindless repetition is because you seem to be a little slow.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The basement was not used all the time, probably not every week. So why would you want greater heat infiltration. Having the ceiling and walls insulated meant that it warmed up quickly when it was used.

Well you have to remember this is the Puget Sound area we are talking about. There was no need for cooling.

And

To have installed radiant floor heat would have cost a lot of labor and some bucks. Remember I built this house along with one helper. We did not do the excavation, concrete work for the basement, dry wall , or septic system. We did all the rest.

Windows..............That is an area of heat loss although most of them faced South. But in the Puget Sound area that is not much help.

None except for one bathroom had an exhaust fan. But the windows open so there was no need for mechanical ventilation.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ste>

rote:

ty

ity

Krw has some strange ideas about what totalitarians are in the habit of saying.

k about

"Freedom" doesn't extend to yelling fire in a crowded theatre, and when some idiot does yell fire, it rapidly becomes everybody's damn business.

The US enthusiasm for getting hold of oil, anywhere it can, right around the world, has bid up the price of a limited supply resource, and provoked enough irritated responses (including the attack on the Twin Towers) to suggest that some restriction on US citizens' right to burn as much of the stuff as they think they can afford might be in everybody's interest.

Since you can't actually afford to import oil - your balance of payments deficit is pretty much what you pay for imported oil (even when you are buying it from puppet regimes arond the Persian Gulf) - your freedom to keep on burning the stuff is somewhat illusory.

But you *are* fond of your delusions.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Rich's repeated grasping of what's "good" for him has long since turned his brain into mush. Not a great advertisement for liberty and the unrestrained free market in consciousness-adjusting pharmaceuticals.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Between the majority of basement wall being below frost line *and* exterior foam boards, the heat loss is negligible- so the heat loss thru the floor into basement is also negligible- most conditioned basement/crawl space/ subbasement don't use it- if your walls are foam R-12- what R-value is your attic built out to?

and

=A0And

for

What is the per floor sf?

Opening the windows in winter sorta defeats all that insulation right?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Gorgeous. I hadn't heard of staggering the studs--I might actually get to use that. Thanks.

Sounds like a beautiful house. Dan, you're a green machine.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Crimping people's collective financial style has produced more deaths than any other form of error so far. Developing strategies that *don't* significantly reduce people's financial options with respect to global warming simply hasn't happened yet.

This assuming that we can do anything about it in the first place.

One thing that is also never said - ever - fossil fuels are our collective solution to the problem of slavery. Either replace them with proper generating technologies or we will be forced to revert to slavery. Indeed, what's proposed as curtailment can easily be confused *for* slavery.

And a replacement hasn't happened, either.

We don't even know what that means. Had you shown my grandparents a child thumbing text messages on a cell phone, they'd have put the kid in a home.

That doesn't make it right. WWII and to a lesser extent WWI were prime examples of mismanagement of the economy.

WWI was due to Bismarck's use of the Franco-Prussian War to unify a Germany out of the crazy quilt as much as anything else.

We're at the threshold of a population crash *now*. I thought that was generally considered a good thing...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

and the socked is mounted on a cheap snap made of spring steel. Haven't you ever installed one, or even looked at one? You can feel the vibration if you touch the hood, and you can hear it, if you aren't deaf.

Considerably longer, true.

I guess I am really asking if the 40W appliance bulbs will be legislated off the market very soon.

John

Reply to
John S

Is that what we used to call the "Living Room" not so long ago?

Reply to
John S

The government doesn't discourage people from wasting their money. Haven't you heard of the lottery?

John

Reply to
John S

These are unaffected by the ban scheduled to take effect in phases from 2012-2014. Specific exemptions include:

  • Appliance bulbs up to and including 40 watts

  • Tubular bulbs 10 inches long or shorter are exempt if not over 40 watts (Tubular incandescents more than 10 inches long are exempt regardless of wattage.)

In any case, the ban does not apply to non-exempt 40-watters until the beginning of 2014.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

Thanks. I read your stuff, but I guess I missed it.

Reply to
John S

When the time comes, they're gonna have a problem getting CFLs to survive in my oven at 450F.

Reply to
John S

Which is your perception of my reactions - others might appreciate that your arguments are less than persuasive.

Since you snipped my comments to that effect, and failed to mark the snip, it would seem that you don't think much of your arguments yourself.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

This is a remarkably implausible claim. Would you care to expalin where this happened? Stalin's forced collectivisation certainly killed a lot of people, but his policies went a lot further than "crimping people's collective financial style".

Reversing anthropogenic global warming is going to cost money in the short term. Not dealing with it is going to cost a lot more money in the long term - it won't take much sea level rise to devalue shore- front property - like docks and warehouses - all the way around the world.

There's no doubt that we could do something about it. Jared Diamond's "Collapse" makes the point that community leaders in the past have ignored similar threats and "continued to fiddle while Rome burned" and that certainly seems to be going on at the moment.

It wasn't. Wind- and water-powered machinery destroyed the economic basis for slavery before steam engines got into the act, and solar power is just as effective as an energy source. It isn't - yet - as cheap - per kilowatt hour - as generating energy by burning fossil carbon, but fossil carbon is a finite resource, and we are having to pay progressively higher prices for it as the more accessible deposits get used up, while solar power generators are going to get quite a lot cheaper as we manufacture them on progressively larger scales.

Not by anybody who can think straight.

But it is going on. Germany funded enough of an expansion in the market for renewable energy generators to increase the installed volume by roughly a factor of ten, halving the price - as you'd expect from the usual rule of thumb. The next factor two reduction in capital cost per installed kilowatt will leave solar power as cheap as power generated by burning fossil carbon, while still leaving plenty of room for further expansion.

The consequences of unrestrained anthropogenic global warming are likely to included certain difficulties in growing enough food to feed everybody. If you aren't getting enough to eat, you aren't happy.

Who cares. In both cases the population was persuaded that it was important for the US not to lose the war in question, and by any rational calculation it is more important that we don't lose the struggle against unrestrained anhtropogenic global warming. Note that that denialist propaganda doesn't have much in the way of rational content.

The US isn't. The population of Europe is expected to finally stop expanding in the next decade or so, but this isn't going to be any kind of population crash.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman