Plessey Lives!

I was surprised to find that Plessey Semi is still alive, or rather born again, and doing some fairly interesting stuff, like GaN and SiGe.

Here's the tangled history:

They sure don't have a lot of visibility here in the USA.

John

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yup part of Siemens GEC or something like that.

Martin Riddle

I still have a Plessy Semi catalog from a LONG time ago around in my pile somewhere... Mainly RF kind of stuff as I vaguely remember.

boB

Reply to
boB K7IQ

From wiki:

Plessey Semiconductors Ltd. The re-birth

After the sale of the Roborough site to Xfab, the original Plessey Semiconductors site at Cheney Manor Swindon continued to operate under the Zarlink Semiconductor name until it was sold to MHS Industries in early 2008. In February 2009 the UK business was forced into receivership following the collapse of the parent MHS Electronics business in France. After a subsequent management buyout the company traded as Plus-Semi Ltd. The Roborough site ( 8" and 6" lines) was re-acquired from Xfab on the 1 January 2010 and the company re-named as Plessey Semiconductors Ltd. The new company will be transferring its Bipolar processes on Silicon & SOI into the 8? Plymouth facility during 2010, exploiting the combined technology base in the development of new processes and products in a number of markets. Specifically, it is focussed on military, medical, aerospace, space and automotive markets.

Hey, good luck!

John

Wasn't Zetex part of Plessey at one point? Or was it Ferranti?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I didn't realize that it was part of both. It was apparently sold by Ferranti (named for their ZTX series of transistors) to Plessy in '88 and spun off into Zetex in '89 . Zetex is part of Diodes, now.

krw

Back early 80s when I was an RF engineer, I used to really like Plessey RF stuff. Besides the classic 11C90 dual modulus prescaler, they had a lot of interesting log amps for DLVAs and logarithmic RF compression.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Except some of their IF stuff was, ahem, not thought out too well. But they sure had some great chips. Before the earth shook, mountains fell into the sea and they were about to go under I bought a stash of SL6440 mixers, best thing since the invention of pivot irrigation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.