by

L-

s, or

s. =A0It

ce is

re

.

ur Kotex

The blown in cellulose is treated with boric acid to make it flame retardant, but apparently the quality control on that process is not the best and nobody really knows how that will work over the long term like decades. Then some of the polys are banned because of super poisonous fumes emitted when made to burn as in a housefire...looks like fiberglass is on its way out soon- first it was the formaldehyde and now it is free mico fibers.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

No, they die a bit faster on DC. At high temperature, electron scattering causes the metal atoms to move, a process called electromigration. It's pretty well random, but it's a strong function of temperature--so a thin spot tends to thin down some more, until the filament breaks. A lot like the way a chain fails at its weakest link.

Using AC reduces the electromigration a bit, because the atoms don't all get kicked one way out of the thin spots.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Klipste>>

When everything good is gone, what will you do for entertainment?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was talking about the 23W CFL that Fred Bloggs mentioned, which was a

90W-equiv. PAR30.

If you want an equiv. to 100W A19, depending on which variety of 100W A19, that's 23 to 26 watts, 18-20 watts for dimmer varieties such as dollar store ones and some 130V ones operated at 120V.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

n Klipste>

rote:

elength

ut a lot

urface

are that

ble such

ls. Most

eful

he

of yore

re, not

ch.

spectacular

at all,

t I see in

lar Tree

llar stores

sold by

ed

UL-

ess, or

mps. =A0It

urce is

more

uch

of your Kotex

is

Apparently a lot more work needs to be done to make every residential structure in America F5 tornado tolerant...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You responded to me, not to Fred, perhaps in error. (I make mistakes like that sometimes too.)

In any case, comparing CFLs to specially-crappy incandescents doesn't improve the credibility of your argument. Let's keep it apples-to-apples.

Once more for emphasis, I'm happy for other folks to be able to buy what they want. I'd just like the same privilege for myself.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Klipste>>

wavelength

lot

that

such

Most

yore

spectacular

all,

in

stores

or

It

is

Thanks for that weird sentiment...so as long as there's a house left standing, you have reason to hope for something to happen to it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

avelength

out a lot

surface

s are that

sable such

alls. Most

gh

aceful

the

h of yore

fire, not

orch.

s-

sty spectacular

ng at all,

that I see in

ollar Tree

dollar stores

my

im

/or sold by

ized

a UL-

mess, or

lamps. =A0It

source is

d more

ht...

such

h,

ad of your Kotex

and

rn is

Do you have any idea of the revised building code in the state of Florida- everything there is Cat5 hurricane tolerant, lots of impact resistance and connectorization of the joinery- not too long ago that may have been considered weird too...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And in:

Click "Product Information Bulletin"

They did not make it easy, but it shows a lumen maintenance curve at

85% @6K hours and about 80% at 12K hours.

The CFL specs mentioned by Fred Bloggs were for a 90W-equiv. PAR flood.

My experience is that 23W spirals are getting about as small as an A19, and 26W ones are hardly longer and no wider.

Since I live in an apartment, I don't have a porch. But most porch lights, regardless of bulb type, in my experience don't have motion sensors.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Yes it does. I even use a light meter, in addition to doing Bunsen-like photometry.

Not that I agree with any 15W CFL I ever saw being the equivalent of a normal 1620 lumen, 750 hour, 100W incandescent - they're marketed as replacing 60W incandescents.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

Klipste>>

wavelength

a lot

that

such

Most

yore

spectacular

all,

see in

Tree

stores

by

mess, or

lamps. It

source is

Kotex

It was your sentiment I said was weird, because it is. Preparing for real external threats is a reality issue, whereas enjoying other people's discomfiture is a moral issue. (I hope that isn't what you're doing, but it sure looks like it from what you've posted.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What isn't?

Michael A. Terrell

Klipste> >>>

No kidding All it took was a little bit of brains. :)

Michael A. Terrell

I'm equally shocked that you haven't explained to the benighted carbon-guzzling denizens of such horrid domiciles that they could save probably 99.9% of the energy they're wasting with those nasty stupid always-on CFL porch lights. ;)

Did I mention that CFLs suck?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That only applies to new construction, and additions. Miami had the strictest building codes in Florida, but Andrew exposed the corruption in the unionized constuction business, and that the inspectors would sign off anything, on a union job.

Michael A. Terrell

Where I come from, it's 11W CFLs that are marketed as 60W replacements.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've found 100 watt incandescents overheat most of my fixtures and cause intermittent problems, so I only use 60 or 75 watt types.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Not all of them. Some plug in, and others have a bayonet base. Some projector bulbs use the long obsolete 'Loctal' tube base.

Michael A. Terrell

-

owadays.

..

5.1%

%252=AD0

%252=AD0

nor=3D4

e at

6x

ater

flood.

ght

s are used,

an

o 22W

ont

lb

t enough

s with

ed on and

up?

er

used

me

porch

I really like having such a wide variety of lights. Let's keep them all!

There is nothing better than curling up with a book and 75W incandesent on a cold winter's night. (OK of course, it's better if your wife is curling in behind you too.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The way I hear it, ones designed to draw low current, maybe around or under 100 mA, last longer on DC, and ones designed for around or over half an amp or something like that last longer on AC.