The HP Way Lives on, At Agilent

That other thread got me reminiscing about my 3 years at Agilent:

Finding old equipment that still had the Advantek inventory stickers on them. The pretty decent corporate structure, albiet a bit hierarchical, top-down, chain-of-command mentality...but still enough mobility for the individual.

And a lot of mention about how vestiges of the old HP way were still living on at Agilent, but certainly not under Carly Fiorina's version of HP.

I'm not sure if we had too much "management by walking around", but it was a fine institute to work for, and I'd do it again if i ever got another chance.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

Do I remember correctly that one of Carly's first acts to improve corporate efficiency was to reduce the cubicle size?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Is Carly that bitch who looks like what's her face after she's taken the ugly suit off..... That's her, Conga Eel Basmati, I knew it would come to me.

Excellent. You don't have to be good you just need appropriate support from your mates as you suck the money out. Then you go find another one.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

yes

again right

same here.

Reply to
john

yes

again right

same here.

Reply to
john

In message , dated Tue, 12 Sep 2006, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" writes

Management by walking around is quite OK if the managers limit themselves to giving encouragement and NEVER stop walking.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

I agree. I was busy working on something that had to be ready to ship the next day, when someone walks up behind me and starts asking a lot of questions. I asked who he was, and why he wanted to know. When he didn't answer, I told him to leave, or I would go get my boss because I had work to do, and he was stopping me from getting it done. He came back a few minutes later with my boss, and the production manager, with a shit eating grin on his face. My boss started to tear into me, for telling the guy to leave. I asked, What did yo want me to do? Someone I don't know walks up and starts asking questions. He is interfering with my work, and wouldn't tell me who he was. I don't know who he is, or where he works, so why should I give out any information about what I'm working on?

All of a sudden their attitudes changed. You really don't know who I am? I'm the VP in charge of manufacturing. I shrugged and told him I had worked there for two weeks, and as far as I knew, I had never seen him before. I pointed out that he wasn't wearing an ID badge, and hadn't introduced himself, so I had no reason to answer his questions. I also pointed out in the employee manual that we were told not to waste time with idle chatter, or to discuss anything to do with our jobs to anyone who didn't need to know. After that, the people in the front office were required to wear their ID at all times. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Name tags have always struck me as a good way to help new employees learn names of people they may have to deal with occassionaly. Nothing to do with security.

I've never worked in a company that used them, though, in spite of increasing use of coded access cards and the like. That's pretty backwards thinking, in my view.

RL

Reply to
legg

there had been an incident a year before where an employee let someone in without proper ID, and he nearly beat the maintenance man to death. Most of our customers were government agencies, as well.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:11:00 -0400, legg Gave us:

My badge IS my coded access card, and it is not backward at all.

Reply to
JoeBloe

Same here, and has been for >30 years. It's also my ID for car rentals and such.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Usually, I see these hanging on dongles, or bulging up wallets.

I'm just talking about little papae cards that say:

" hello my name is .........."

RL

Reply to
legg

Ours had your picture, employee number and department on them. The back side had a mag stripe for the time clocks, for the hourly employees.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida