the 100W bulb lives on....

Goal post shifting. You said "a lot fewer" speaking of the long run. Now you've changed to "absolute and all-embracing".

Nevertheless, you have nicely made the point, perhaps without meaning to, that enacting whatever ban(s) Fred has in mind will be influenced by more than whether an activity adversely affects the environment. Whether a ban is practicable is one factor you mentioned, and the impact of whatever ban is being considered is another. When I asked the question of Fred, I had those in mind, as well as some others.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

And I follow below with some musings of mine for a homebrew LED table lamp project using 10-for-$10 eBay 70-80 lumen "1-watt" white LEDs...

If this is going to be a homebrew project, with a $2 used table lamp and a wallwart, it's starting to sound easy.

I figure, to push 350 mA through ten "1-watt" LEDs @ 1.12-1.19 watts apiece (3.2-3.4 volts apiece), takes 11.2-11.9 watts, plus a watt or two for a switching type LED driver - figure 12-14 watts.

The wallwart probably has loss of another 1.5-2 watts if it's a switchmode type, 2 in the transformer and 1.5 in the rectifier if it's the older iron core type.

Total power consumption from the wall plug - 13.5 to 17.5 watts to produce 700-800 lumens of icy cold 6000-6500 K light whose color rendering indexI guess from experience is probably 70-plus or around 75.

Maybe there is no need for a bulb-shape enclosure for a modification of an entire table lamp. As for a screw base - burnt out lightbulbs are free, unblown ones (even of kinds exempted from the upcoming ban) can be purchased at a dollar store for $1, and I see screw-base fuses at supermarkets, drugstores, and hardware stores.

=====

As for temperature rise - that is a big problem with LED lighting, but I see less of a problem in a homebrew table lamp project. Simply get the heatsink area to 24 square inches to handle 12 watts at the 1/2 watt per square inch mentioned elsewhere in this thread. (1.12-1.19 watts for each of 10 LEDs dropping 3.2-3.4 volts at 350 mA)

My experience indicates this will limit temperature rise to 50 C, and even in a 35 C ambient this means heatsink temperature of 85 C and junction temperature of "1-watt" LEDs around 95 C - actually quite tolerable, but expect something like 6% less light than "rated" (which requires unrealistic junction temperature of 25 C).

I like to have lighting LEDs heatsunk enough to keep their junction temperatures below 85 C - arbitrary, but that was the max. rated junction temperature of LEDs back around 1980. At this rate, I like to figure .4 watt per square inch of heatsink, or 30 square inches of heatsink.

==============

How about a further idea: As cheap as these LEDs are, get 20 instead of

  1. Drive them at 175 mA instead of 350 mA. Get 750-870 lumens instead of 700-800, because usual white LEDs have a nonlinearity where efficiency increases when they are moderately underpowered. (Efficiency of "1-watt" and "3-watt" white LEDs with a roughly 1 mm square die peaks at 20-75 mA.) And, voltage drop at half-current is less than at full current by about .05 volt - power consumption is decreased slightly. This reduces the heatsink temperature rise roughly 1.5% - not much, but I like to consider this along with other minor incremental improvements. And figure conservatively (after aging, etc) only 30 lumens light gain, combined with a figure I have of about 300 lumens per watt of "white LED light" - that's another .1 watt less heat, good for another .8% less temperature rise of the heatsink. At this rate, heatsink temperature rise is decreased ~2.2%, maybe close to 1 degree C. Furthermore, junction temperature is reduced by 3-5 degrees C even at the same heatsink temperature - 4 to 6 degrees C if considering reduced heatsink temperature. Shrinking the heatsink to restore the original junction temperature (if tolerable) is from 30 to 24 square inches, for
85 C junction temperature in a 35 C ambient, the way I see it.

=============

Or, push only 165 mA through each of 20 of these LEDs, for about 6% less power consumption than at 175 mA, and still get at least as much light as from 10 of these LEDs at 350 mA each. That lets the above heatsink be at least 2 degrees C cooler, or at least a square inch smaller.

====

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@donklipstein.com)
Reply to

Perhaps. And maybe the emotional yearning to have more is just a human trait. But, I am at a loss to argue the point due to my lack of education in the subject.

I am not sure, but it seems that you are saying that the course I took was presented by progressives and therefore slanted toward what I was taught. If so, I have no tools with which to argue the point.

Reply to
John S

The reason that democracy is important is not that the masses are wise, it's that no one can be trusted with unfettered power.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:

of it?

om.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

ther

ing

that

her

strange

boiler

=A0Been

nny. =A0- Hide quoted text -

Sour grapes because you don't have it??? Radiant heat is judged most efficient by DOE. "Boiler" is misnomer, the water is somewhere in the

80-90oF range...several options to tie into sustainable energy sources such as solar panels and heat pumps.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

it?

strange

boiler

You really are a sick bastard. Taking lessons from DimBulb?

Clueless.

Which makes it completely useless for anywhere it gets cold.

Which has nothing to do with the thread. Goal posts move again. Keep going, you're doing a fine job reinforcing your idiot status.

Reply to
krw

Well, there ya go, whatever that has to do with it.

Reply to
John S

The solution is to make responsible choices, not a *choose* a lifetime of dumpster-diving for a free lunch.

I have no idea what "course you took", so I obviously can't comment about that. The fact is that "the poor" are poor because of *their* choices in life, as are "the rich". "The rich" didn't get there by buying lottery tickets, dropping out of school, or having kids while in high school.

Living a comfortable life is *easy* in the US. It's a matter of making a few choices.

Reply to
krw

Individuals certainly aren't always wise, but the masses *are*. That's the beauty of capitalism (which pretty much requires a democracy).

Reply to
krw

for

just

Here we disagree. Not in every case, of course, but, sometimes there are few or no choices. Maybe it is my lack of education in these matters that makes me less able to present my point, but I have a lifetime of observation that tells me that your assertion is not entirely true.

Since I have no ammunition, I will concede.

Reply to
John S

ote:

le of it?

room.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

ave a

either

thing

all that

other

are strange

ift boiler

. =A0Been

funny. =A0- Hide quoted text -

p going,

-

It has everything to do with your ignorance....no clue that DOE evaluates building technologies? Pathetic little small minded 'person' that you are... Guess you're bitter because you overpaid for some high maintenance cheap trash housing...and of course this runs against your self-evaluation of technological brilliance, so you must invalidate it all somehow.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

of it?

room.

either

thing

that

other

strange

boiler

funny.  - Hide quoted text -

...says the stupid statist.

You're simply illiterate. *That* has nothing to do with what a government agency has to say to justify its existence.

You certainly know all about the workings of a small mind, but doubt you'd recognize one from the outside.

Guess you're bitter because you overpaid for

Your net-psychic license is hereby suspended. What a dumbass!

Reply to
krw

at

for

uld

rnment

hose who

What does my comment have to do with what Fred Blogg's posted?

Neither of us is any kind of official representative of any kind of save-the-planet league, and what we post are our own individual opinions

Fred was making the point that human society is essentially co- operative, and anything that you do that degrades our common environment is going to mobilise the mechanisms we've evolved over the past few million years to tame the less co-operative members of our species.

All social animals have these kinds of play-fair-or-get-punished mechanisms - co-operation doesn't work if you don't deal with the free- loaders, so it is just evolution in action.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

:

te:

r by

tly.

hey

ney.

,
.

oor

mory

the

Since the US habit of encouraging miltiary dictatorships in their banana republics was dictated by a capitalist desire to have an administration that would be tough on trade unions, this sentiment does seem to be a trifle unrealistic, even for a demented nit-wit like krw.

Capitalism does seem to work better when employee interests are properly represented - compare US and German manufacturing industry at the moment - but US-style "democracy" doesn't seem to do as much as if might - and should - for the people working as employees of the people with capital.

The dire state of the US health care system has a lot to do with employer enthusiasm for a system of health insurance that is tied to the employees job. Universal health care works better and turns out to be cheaper, but compromises one of the levers employers use to coerce their employees.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

There you go. Making assumptions about matters where you don't actually have a clue.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Oddly (or not), one of my all time favorite words.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Has anybody actually measured those 80 lm/W no-name LEDs sold on eBay?

Are they the real thing or some rejected lots by some reputable manufacturer ?

If they are the real thing, why would they end up in eBay in lots of

10, instead of reels through some reputable distributor ?
Reply to
upsidedown

Bankrupt stock from some-would-be distributor who went bust?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

e:

by

ly.

ey

ey.

or

ory

For the same reason, democracies probably need to do something about heavily funded publicity campaings designed to fool the masses.

The campaign to devalue the scientific case for anthropogenic global warming, funded by Exxon-Mobile and simiarly minded people who make the money by digging up fossil carbon and selling it a fuel, is a fairly obvious example.

Most democracies have more or less efective cnstraints on election spending, designed to prevent the rich from exercising undue political power by buying electoral representation. Less direct interventions in the politcal process can be equally damaging. People with loads of money aren't a group that can be trusted with unfettered power, any more than anybody else.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It would be more disturbing if "fettered" was a favorite.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany