Re: Liability & responsibility of electrician?

City of Davis, Yolo County, California.

I drew up plans, got them stamped and approved by the city planning department, pulled 6-3 cable from a 50 ampere breaker in the outside service entrance panel to the garage where I installed a subpanel, then installed lamps, 120 outlets and

240 outlets out of the subpanel. Before covering anything, I called the city building inspector and he came out, compared it to the drawing and signed it all off. He said that I must have done it myself because it was too neat for an electrician.

Disclaimer - I am not a licensed electrician, but I can read the code and do neater work than one.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You would be more accurate saying NOT all was done without licences. I've seen a lot of sloppy work done by licenced tradesmen as well. Also some VERY nice work done by unlicienced workers.

Reply to
clare

or:

Rich.

You should see the crap the electricians pulled in my last two houses! I suspect this one isn't any better, though haven't been in it long enough to find too much (YOY did they use 14/2?).

The inspector was quite impressed with the work I did on a garage twentyish years ago. He was a little bit surprised that nothing worked when he walked in. I didn't have a permit, so the sub was shut off at the main when I wasn't actively working.

Planet Union Sparky.

Reply to
krw

Indeed, because we can spend time doing things right.

Reply to
krw

So where does that say that what he did was illegal?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Some jurisdictions do not even have any such animal as a "homeowner's permit".

In Ohio, for example, I would have to get a "building permit" to make an add on to my structure or to add a permanent building on my property.

I do not know, however, what the requirements are for any electrical work done in said project.

Regardless, to be legal, ALL has to be inspected.

Reply to
life imitates life

Good appearances are great, but one would hope that you are aware that what really matters is how well each and every termination was performed.

The neat routing and good appearance lends toward that knowledge, and normally indicates a strong and 'proper' training at some point of some degree, like prior exposure to military cabling, wiring, and routing techniques or the like.

If you have no training at all and did things that well, such that the inspector made that comment, then I would say that you have lived your entire life as a very observant creature that catches all the details of practically any system you encounter, be it mechanically oriented or otherwise.

Reply to
Mycelium

He said that I must have done

Exactly. I have a copy of NFPA 70, NEC 2008. I may not be licensed either, but as you so eloquently put it, I can read the code. I can also do MUCH neater work than a licensed electrician. This is mainly because I don't work balls to the wall on my own house, but rather take that extra bit of time and do it right, and do it neat.

I take the time to properly plan out the job, be it electrical, plumbing, structural, etc. Remember the Seven Ps.

Again, JCBD has ZERO problems with my NOT being the owner of the property and my NOT being licensed in any trade.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Depends on where you are. There are jurisdictions that have no permitting, licensing, or inspection requirements.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would think that such conditions are based on nearest proximity of assets that belong to others.

Reply to
life imitates life

You're kidding, right!?? Did you read the part about "I am the property owner of the property described on the attached" or "State law requiring construction to be performed by licensed contractors" or "The building or residence must be for your own use or occupancy. It may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease."

Allow me to spell it out for you. The work has to be done by licensed contractors, unless you are the homeowner doing the work, will be living there, and the property will not be rented for at least 2 years.

Reply to
Rich.

Normally, you'd think that would be the case, but it isn't always.

Reply to
Doug Miller

HELLOOOOOOOOO!!

"unless you are the homeowner doing the work" -- wasn't that exactly what he said?

Reply to
Doug Miller

He said he was a renter (tenant) at the property, unlicensed, and claimed to have legally done a 400-amp service change for the property owner. It was I that said you're supposed to be a licensed contractor or the actual homeowner to legally do the work.

Reply to
Rich.

He was living there, though. They likely didn't ask if he was buying it. If the owner was ok with it, why would they care?

Michael A. Terrell

We're talking about the legalities, not whether or not one of the 'good ole boys' is going to look the other way.

Reply to
Rich.

Gee, that building inspector in Destin was a good ol' boy. He told me so.

Michael A. Terrell

You might think that. I'd be inclined to think that it has something to do with the influence of the electrician's union in the particular jurisdiction...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That is correct: I rent the house.

Now for the surprise: the inspector from JCBD that serves my area admitted to me that he knew little of the requirements for residential electrical installations as specified in the IRC (which contains the NEC verbatim).

Erm, if you don't know what the codes requires for residential service equipment, then how can you honestly say the service is installed correctly? Sheesh, I know more about the NEC than the inspector!! (What's wrong with this picture???)

BTW, all wiring is installed in conduit, be it EMT, FMC, RNC, and the like. WHY? I was given several THOUSAND feet of THHN (#14 to #6) in lengths from 20' to 100' (scrap, basically). 1/2" EMT is around 25 cents a foot. With THHN, I can safely install nine #12s in one 1/2" EMT, for 4 _completely independent_ 20A circuits (4 phase conductors, 4 grounded conductors, and one grounding conductor). (Now how may licensed RESIDENTIAL electricians are able to properly install EMT?)

FWIW: I worked under a licensed master for ~3 years as an electricians apprentice. I still regret not getting my journeyman's back then.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas