Liability & responsibility of electrician?

I have been asked to offer an opinion in a sensitive situation.

A machinist moved his shop across town and required some rewiring (3-phase outlets, conduit, etc.) in order to locate some machines where he wanted them.

He hires a guy who's not a pro (and later discovers is not insured) but has done shop wiring before and had a good attitude and track record. The guy does good work. No complaints about the quality of his work.

Owner throws the switch, all works fine.

The story continues 4 weeks later when the very expensive CNC fries its controller PCB to the tune of $4000.

Turns out the voltage in the shop was upward of 245 and the taps in the CNC's power supply were set for 220.

What is the legal and moral responsibility of each party?

What will not be helpful are replies about the character or intelligence of either of the players or their actions.

Thanks.

--
John English
Reply to

"John E."

** What a STUPID troll !!!

The PSU in the CNC blew cos it was a pile of shit PLUS the design was 100% incompetant cos it gave no protection to the delicate and expensive load.

Bet it was old and way past use by date too.

Piss off TROLL !!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Probably a good call, since modern switchers, which the DC supplies for these things usually are, can handle up to about 265 volts. Even a bit more, typically.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The nominal utility power as supplied is supposed to be 240V. 5 volts over is a touch hot, but not out of the bounds of normal tolerances - turn everything on in the neighborhood some hot August afternoon with the AC units cranked, and tell me what the voltage reads then...

If they were seeing 250V - 255V or more, then I'd call the Utility and get the transformer taps knocked down a notch.

If the power supply on the CNC computer had changeable taps, and the last guy that touched it didn't have any reason to look to see what it was set for, IMHO it's nobody's fault. Especially if the shop they moved from and the one they moved to had the same nominal operating voltage, and they knew it - I'm not going to open 50 machines looking for the unexpected when I'm charging by the hour unless I have a good reason to... Just "Git Er Done" and go home.

If he had a reason to look inside and saw it was on the 220V tap he should have moved it to the 240V - or told the owner - it's good practice to follow but there's no responsibility to look involved.

And I wouldn't expect 255V on the 220V tap to kill it. Now if it was set for 208V input and you fed it off the 'High Leg' from an Open Delta service that's hovering around 280V to ground, THEN I'd expect fireworks. Open Delta High Leg voltages can bounce around and go even higher, then something flashes over...

That would be the /one/ time I'd call it against the Handyman, putting the high leg on the control circuit would be a big goof. You are supposed to put the regular 240V legs on the A and C phases coming in, and the 'High Leg' Orange lead to B phase and NOT the controls.

The average power supply is supposed to feed +5V, +12V & -12V etc. to the computer board, and have Crowbar protection so that's all that gets through. If the supply blows up and lets line voltage through to fry the controller board (even if you put an over-voltage on the input) that's a badly built power supply.

Otherwise, it's entirely possible that it just reached End Of Life and decided to go out in a spectacular manner, and the move had nothing to do with it. The timer that makes things blow up three days out of warranty finally went off.

Unless you want to spend a lot of money on Electronic Forensics to analyze the power supply failure, "The world may never know..."

-->--

PS - Have to trim off alt-r.c.m to make this go, 4 crosspost limit.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

"Archimedes' Lever" "Phil Allison"

** Unlikely it was a SMPS based on the OP's admittedly poor and incomplete info.

Cos SMPS do not have multi-taps for AC input voltage - PLUS if an off-line switcher fails from overvoltage, it just blows the fuse and goes dead.

But losing regulation and over-voltaging the load ( as was alleged by the OP) is another scenario altogether - more often associated with old age or the failure of one of a few critical components in the regulation loop.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're an idiot. If you are wiring POWER runs, you had better know what your loads are, and how they get connected.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

My drier sees 250VAC. Low voltage stuff in this house gets 125VAC.

Everything is working just fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Is that burning cotton I smell?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Drier has a temperature limiter, so although the slightly higher voltage results in a slightly quicker "turn on" time for the elements, they still are shut off at the same temperature regardless of incoming voltage.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It's called a thermostat

Of course. I was jesting.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Before there were UPS's there were constant voltage transformers, the most popular made by Sola. UPS's put out really crap AC, and are designed to work with a switching power supply as a load.

Sola transformers were used with all sorts of things, there may be one that fits your needs. I used them with computers that had linear power supplies, but I think they will work with motors, it's worth checking out.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

I guarantee it doesn't match yours.

You seem to think that since you understand the rules of making a connection that you understand electrical power.

I doubt seriously that you have such a grasp of the industry.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

That is not always the case. I'm a little rusty when it comes to 3 phase distribution, but I've dealt with some things like this in a machine shop friends of mine own. The voltage depends on the service to the building. Some shops have 208V and some have 240V, and we've had to reconfigure machines from time to time that were purchased from other locations, or run some off buck/boost transformers if they were not configurable. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill in the details.

It's good practice of course to measure the voltage and double check the configuration of the particular machine prior to applying power.

$4K seems pretty high though, did anyone look into repairing the damaged board?

Reply to
James Sweet

I rented a house for a while that had unusually high line voltage. It varied from around 122V to 125V depending on the time of day. If it was much higher than that, I'd be concerned, but anything from 115V to 125V is pretty normal.

A friend of mine over in the UK is near the end of a long run from the transformer that powers his street. His voltage varies considerably, from as low as 220V to nearly 250V.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I've measured (give or take a few tenths) in the MSOE power lab (which is equipped with 208V 3 phase), and very nearly the same at my own bench at home.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

CNC's

CNC electronics cost about 4-8 times as much to fix as normal electronics. Shrug..its called :"the going rate" unfortunately.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You can get a license without being in the union.

Excuses do not make you qualified. Especially if the tests you took were way back in '74.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Bwuahahahahaha! I'll bet your skill set matches your price schedule. Low and lame.

Hummm? Yeah, you'd probably be better at that.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Doubtful.

What is that a pussy surfer boy threat?

I will live far longer than a twit like you.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

tenths)

nearly

Your apparent conflation of single phase systems and 3 phase systems only serves to confuse outsiders.

Reply to
JosephKK