Re: Liability & responsibility of electrician?

I have been asked to offer an opinion in a sensitive situation.

> >A machinist moved his shop across town and required some rewiring (3-phase >outlets, conduit, etc.) in order to locate some machines where he wanted >them. > >He hires a guy who's not a pro (and later discovers is not insured) but has >done shop wiring before and had a good attitude and track record. The guy >does good work. No complaints about the quality of his work. > >Owner throws the switch, all works fine. > >The story continues 4 weeks later when the very expensive CNC fries its >controller PCB to the tune of $4000. > >Turns out the voltage in the shop was upward of 245 and the taps in the CNC's >power supply were set for 220. > >What is the legal and moral responsibility of each party? > >What will not be helpful are replies about the character or intelligence of >either of the players or their actions. > >Thanks.

The "electrician" is culpable as it was found that the wiring was to blame. That proof alone means that he would be culpable, regardless of his credentials, or lack thereof.

The owner should bear some blame (as in be lenient in court) for trying to economize costs in the wrong area (he should have paid the licensed and insured electrician).

Also knowing how to hook up systems well, and knowing how to do a proper requirements analysis are two different things and define some of the differences between the grunt pulling the wires and the supervisor laying out the plan and making sure that the machines and their power sources are matched. Since a failure mode did occur, it would be improper not to make a negative statement about the character of the installer.

Also, though it was not a lack of intelligence that compelled the owner to choose the riskier path, it does indicate a lack of wisdom, which I am sure has received a boost due to these events already.

PS Cross-posting is lame.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Nonsense. The voltage at the panel has nothing to do with the wireman. It's a function of the transformer at the pole. The voltage in my shop, wired with three phase delta, is also upwards of 245 volts.

The only way a wireman could be responsible is if the panel was wired three phase delta, with a high leg, and he had assigned the high leg to one of the

120 volt circuits, yielding 208 or more volts.

The voltage declared indicates that the service is, indeed, delta.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Nonsense. If you hire a 'pro' chances are they make even more mistakes. In this case the owner is to blame. He should have hired someone from the company that sells the CNC machines to connect them properly to the mains.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Nonsense? Take your retarded queries elsewhere, crossposting, idiot, troll fucktard.

When a man wires up a machine, it is his responsibility to make sure that the machine he is connecting to power is set up for the voltage he is providing to it.

He is responsible because he did not perform the requirements analysis.

Doesn't matter. The device to be powered must not be wired up with an inappropriate feed, or fail to be set up to take the feed that is provided.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

If a proper electrician does not know how to hook up a machine, he is not a proper electrician.

Pro work is usually insured.

That makes you wrong on both counts.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

A CNC machine is something different than a light bulb. Few electricians know more than how to connect a light bulb and outlets. Besides, the story doesn't tell whether the machine has a permanent mains connection or is connected by a cord.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Nonsense. 245VAC could *easily* be a [nominal] 240V single-phase service.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Perhaps you don't work with many electricians. I work with electricians on a daily basis, and the large majority of them can run the wire to the machine, outlet, light fixture, what ever, but few of them have the ability to make sure it is 100% correct for the equipment powered. I have seen 480 volts wired to 208, and the reverse, single phase wired to 3 phase equipment, wrong rotation, (that had been verified correct by the electrician!), electricians reversing rotation in the equipment so some motors are correct, and some are reversed, you name it! That is where I come in, to double check phasing, verify incoming voltage is correct for the equipment, and to ensure the voltage taps in the equipment is set properly. Unless discussed before hand I would not assume the electrician checked to make sure the equipment was set up for the incoming power. Seems like the owners responsibility to me! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I know of zero CNC machines that operate from a line cord.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Which makes ALL of them a mere order taker, point to point wireman.

This was not such an installation. If new runs had to be installed, then the installer, if only a mere electrician, is already in over his head if he doesn't know about the equipment to be fed power to.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Im not. Nor am I licensed. Yet I do the electrical work for many clients. And my business cards indicate that Im neither.

It has to do with how good you are, and that they know it.

Gunner Asch

Then you have been in few CNC shops west of the Mississippie.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Fresno

Would your only solution for that particular machine then be simply getting an isolation transformer that allows a voltage reduction?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Does your work get inspected? (no, I do not mean by you, idiot)

You may be a professional something, but 'professional electrician' will not be the title.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Fresno

Ayup..a reverse "buck boost" or even as you say ..an isolation tranny.

Ive got one actually..Ive just never gotten around to installing it. First the heart surgery, then the stroke, then lots of work...sigh...so much to do..so little time.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Oh of course it does. And passed every time for the past 12 yrs.

Nor have I ever made that claim.

So am I just a "handyman"?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Oh sure, $10k bill.

$1.0 to look at it, $9999 to know what to look at..

Please people, this simply looks like some one trying to collect on a repair bill at some one else's expense.

I think we have enough lawyers already hard at work at destroying peoples life's.

I feel sorry for the Electrician.

Reply to
Jamie

Well obviously you don't know much about the standards of electrical codes, labeling and so on. 245V is very normal..

I would be a little more worried about voltages running on the low side in shops like that.

Reply to
Jamie

And what is your definition of a line cord?

You've never seen 3 Wire with ground, plugs connected to cords on electrical equipment?

Reply to
Jamie

No, actually, the equipment most likely had cords on it that already had proper plugs that were properly labeled on the twist locks them self's..

You see, these little details are not coming to light here, did the electrician hard wire the CNC to the service or did he simply supply a compatible source for the mating plug on the cord attached to the CNC ?

I don't know about a lot of other shops how ever, where we work, all of our machine shop equipment have twist lock plugs with cords on them and those that know anything about this, know that they can only be inserted in the proper receptacle.

In short, different service voltages have specified keyed plugs. If the CNC already had a plug connected to it, then the data required by the electrician is on the plug.. and that is as far as the electrician needs to go with that.

If an incorrect plug is in use that does not match the voltage of the equipment but may have been used in an area where voltage was upgraded and receptacles were not changed, then it's the fault of the shop owner for not spending the cash to correct that.

Reply to
Jamie