Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

I couldn't begin to understand a 4 way stop. You have to somehow remember who got there first?! How is that even possible?

There is apparently no speed limit on a UK roundabout. I use them to overtake slow drivers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I use (your equivalent of) the left lane to go right round to get past the queue in the right lane.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What a weird rule.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Better than BMW, the Duke of Dazzling.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In message <op.16y9e3oxmvhs6z@ryzen>, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

Surely you've noticed that there are some 4-way stops in the UK - well, not actual stops, but certainly 4-way give-ways? There are two within a mile of me - one in a supermarket carpark, and one in a nearby village. Essentially, these are mini-roundabouts with no circle in the middle, and (being in the UK) the vehicle coming from your right has priority. Like any mini-roundabout, if three or four vehicles arrive simultaneously, it can become a game of chicken as to who actually proceeds first.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The chance of anybody being nice to the Scottish wanker are pretty close to zero. His enthusiasm for putting his own interests first is both obvious and off-putting, and the correct response is to push him under the next bus. You should confine your being nice to people who might be nice back, as opposed to being obviously un-cooperative.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

You're just not doing it right. You have elected to live in the nasty greedy crowd.

Our attitude to customers is "What you are doing is cool and we just want to help, even if we don't sell you anything." Of course, that attitude sometimes sells a lot of stuff. If not, we learn things.

Being petty has petty returns.

I've been curious. Are you in an alternate universe where you reply to month old posts?

Similar rules have been in effect for establishments selling alcohol for a long time. While it might be a convenience for the parishioners placing Ye Olde Bucket of Blood next to St. Francis Xavier church is frowned on.

Reply to
rbowman

Americans apparently have more functional short term memories than Brits. It must be all that centuries old lead plumbing.

Reply to
rbowman

Stop signs seem to be a team sport here.

This state has a high percentage of Norwegian and German ethnics with a well developed sense of politeness. It can turn into gridlock as everyone says 'No, after you. I insist.'

Personally, I wait for approximately 1500 milliseconds for someone to shit or get of the pot before proceeding.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, well, Boston is a bit different. That's how a one lane bridge here works. It's more efficient for a queue of three or four cars to proceed together than to alternate.

Reply to
rbowman

Moving relative to whatever.

Frame of reference.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Ok, put steel wheels on cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They do. And they run them on rails. Several joined together.

Reply to
Max Demian

I was responding to "It is the standard here, if you ****have your own antena****"

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Inertia is illogical, because it's only related to mass. How can you have something you calculate from only one thing? If I want to tell you how difficult it will be to make the object move, I need only tell you it's mass.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It depends on the environment. In a shop, you're earning reputation. But what about driving? Letting people out will probably not cause them to let you out another day, because chances are you'll never meet that particular driver again. I do however always let people out, since I'm f****ng pissed off nobody else does. Often I'm in a queue of cars at say 10mph, and I see ahead of me someone trying to pull out of a sideroad, often a few of them in a queue. The fifteen (!) drivers I can see in front of me don't let them out. What chance does the last in the queue have?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mass has other properties that inertia, like gravitational attraction.

Reply to
Max Demian

I guess inertia is more of a description in a particular scenario than a property.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey