Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Moving relative to what?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a description of the difference here:

Jeff Gaines

But you don't know what you are talking about.

"Momentum" is the product of velocity - a vector - and mass or inertia which is a scalar.

The fact that gravitational mass and inertial mass are exactly the same is interesting

but it's not the idea you seem to have in what passes for your mind.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

With respect that is mostly bollocks. And doesn't take into account the inertia of bureaucracy or the inertia of a projectile hitting a tank.

Inertia is a common usage term. Momentums is technical. And as I pointed out, all motion is relative, so your appeal to authority fails because there is no such thing as 'an object at rest' or 'in constant motion' unless you define a frame of interital. reference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It makes sense to me, perhaps you could give a link to something similar from a respected body?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Time

Reply to
jon

That is figurative language so it's irrelevant here.

Empty pontification. Inertia is just as much a technical term as momentum (which is also used in figurative speech). Claiming that all motion is relative is a truism - if there wasn't something for an object to move in relation to, the motion would undetectable.

Humpty-dumnpty told us that a word meant what he intended it to mean, but he was comic invention. You are trying on the same trick, and I'm happy to laugh at you.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

You are correct that all motion has to be relative to something. In this case, the object's motion is relative to the observer. The momentum of an object is its mass times its velocity. Inertia is the property of matter that resists changes in motion. It is proportional to mass and independent of velocity. So, a massy object has inertia whether it's moving or not. It only has momentum if it's moving relative to an observer ¹².

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 22/06/2023 (1) Difference Between Momentum and Inertia - Collegedunia.

Difference Between Momentum and Inertia - Momentum vs Inertia - BYJU'S.
Difference Between Momentum and Inertia - Vedantu.

Bing AI

Inertia has units of mass. Momentum is mass times velocity.

Mass does not have a vector.

I'm sure glad that you don't design electronics.

John Larkin's favourite put-down.

Of course in the thread "Constant current to capacifor / rising voltage" he solemnly told us that "A pure-silicon current mirror runs one transistor at 0.6ish volts and low dissipation, and the other at whatever Vce and higher dissipation,so tight thermal coupling is mandatory."

He doesn't know that the Wilson current mirror

was invented back in 1967 to solve that particular problem, or that anybody who knows about circuit design knows about that particular solution.

I posted that link in the fourth post in the thread, but John only reads posts that he can rely on to flatter him.

Thermal dissipation isn't the only problem it solves - as Phil Hobbs explicitly pointed out in the nineth post in the thread, the Early effect also messes up the two-transistor current mirror but not the Wilson current mirror.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Inertia has no units.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, but I do. Or did

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sure it has. It's just mass, and kilograms work fine.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Any anonymous troll can make that kind of claim. John Larkin makes it and he isn't even anonymous, though he doesn't seem to understand what design means.

Post a circuit diagram that you've imagined that you have designed, and we might take you seriously. Here's something I did

Anthony William Sloman

A railway flooded here - the pipes under it to take a stream's water got blocked. For weeks on end, no train driver was observant enough to spot the forming lake to the side. Then the water decided to cause 2 million of damage by shoving the railway to one side. And 200K damage to a private property (a charity), which the railway company refused to pay out.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Faster than it should, I overvolted the motor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's the easy side. Try this:

I'd like to see that being driven there in winter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

People of any age do that here. Drivers are overly cautious girly useless prats who get in my way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Dafuq? "They aren't roundabouts they're traffic circles"? Err..... same thing.

These things are stupid:

run over them in my car. Why bother turning?

There's one here on a blind bend going downhill, so cars are forced to try to swerve round unsuspecting pedestrians on sheet ice in winter. And they set the priority for the uphill so the poor drivers didn't have to do a hill start. Yes, much better to make them try to stop going downhill towards a pedestrian. I told the council I awaited the first death with glee and would be there in court to laugh at the council's decision. I was ignored.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey