Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Sometimes I go to the old end sometimes the new end. I have 220 posts left, where they are replies to me and below.

I don't get people insisting on immediate replies. Some forums people get very upset when you "necro" a post. But if someone has asked a question, and people are still looking to solve that problem 5 years later, posting an answer helps those who find the post on google.

I can understand X next to Y being considered wrong. But why have a gap between Xs?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But what about the people who got there before you? You don't know what order they got there in.

Do you perhaps remember who you arrived just after? What if two people arrive at the same time? It's just not very precise at all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

OMG, WTF? You can follow this?!

There's pages and pages of it!!!

You need to get normal junctions. Our "crossroads" which look like your 4 way stops have one straight through road as just a plain road, the busier one. The quieter ones have to yield.

Or use traffic lights, they're easy but inefficient. The roundabout or traffic circle is the only thing which makes sense. There's a constant flow of traffic, and you only have to check one thing, the cars to your (left in America, right in the UK).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I take that attitude with traffic lights. Some are stupidly short and let say 10 cars through, when there's a big queue. So I just run the red and be the 11th. If I'm 12th and the 11th stops, I drive round them. Some people seem to object to that. It can't cause an accident, since the other direction is stationary, and isn't going to drive into moving cars just because their light went green.

However that attitude goes wrong sometimes. I was going along a winding country road and encountered something broken down. my direction had been going for at least the 30 cars I saw in front of me, so I stopped and flashed for the other side to have a go. They did. For a very very long time. Eventually I inched out at 1mph until a larger vehicle decided he shouldn't try it.

I remember as a kid on holiday, we came across traffic lights which were off. For some unknown reason, my dad said "that should be green" and drove through. Apparently it should have been red.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Never seen one, apart form the one in my own town with three give way lines!? With four, you could do what you said (although Americans seem to use "first person first" rather than "give way to the right/left"). But three?! So one way goes first no matter what? That's just adding to complications.

It's very near another stupidity, a bulb out on a blind downhill bend, with the priority set for uphill. So people with more momentum are the ones who have to stop to avoid running over a pedestrian brave enough to stand on it. When I informed the council how dangerous it was, they said they didn't want to have people doing hill starts. When I told them hill starts were part of the driving test, I got no reply, so I warned them I'd be watching for a nasty accident and informing the police she was responsible for the death. She still didn't listen. Council workers are thick as f*ck.

Bullshit. A friend said that to me too. There's no game of chicken, you just go if there's nobody to your right that would collide with you. If you're all there at the same time, you all go, simple.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are you really an AI, or a human interfacing an AI to us?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then why not make the whole road network rails and we can drive around on it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then why not make the whole road network rails and we can drive around on it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Points. And you would need rails that go inside your garage. Complicated for parallel parking. No parking on the verge when there are no parking places available.

Reply to
Max Demian
[lots snipped]

Well, there are always the "High Rail Trucks" (that's a brnad name; lots of others) which can roll on both standard, paved, roads AND also on rail road tracks.

Every few years a transit agency tries running a couple of them as passenger buses..

typical writeup:

danny burstein