Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Being nice to someone gains you nothing, chances are they won't be nice back.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I call that a shithole. Countryside is much nicer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you want me to be more skilled at it you need to teach by example.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Here, we don't need amps. We have decent transmitters in the first place. Or TVs designed to amplify inside them instead of farming it out to another box.

She doesn't need to understand, her TV does.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You probably would need an amp if the signal is split between nine TVs. And you still have to stop idiots from shorting out their aerial sockets, accidentally or deliberately.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yep. less amplification, than buffering for distribution purposes. I have 9 wall sockets in the house. Labgear unit sorts it all out

The Natural Philosopher

That wouldn't flow properly, and the warning light would come on.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh, I thought lead was good apart from the alledged cancer.

Wouldn't that make it worse?

I don't service a car.

You must not drive in places people drop nails. Builders are very clumsy.

Or just use your eyeballs.

I prefer not to spend money before I have to, and I may never have to.

How old/mileage a car do you drive?

Are those the ones which are way brighter than normal bulbs, and get away with it because the input power is the same? Thanks for dazzling me, you're asking for a collision.

You replaced bulbs which weren't broken? ROFL!

My car is too old for that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's Commander Kinsey assuming that he can learn. Over the past year or so he has made it blindly obvious that he can't .

He's sea- green ineducable, and seems to take pride in being particularly obtuse, You can take a Scottish wanker to water, but you can't make him think - much better hold him under until he stops being a pest.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Clearly not.

Talking of big trains....

Commander Kinsey

Friction isn't just related to surface area, but also material.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Friction just isn't related to surface area, but instead material.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Momentum not Inertia.

Reply to
jon

Same thing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As TNP has said they are virtually the same, one is vector and one is a scalar, much like velocity and speed.

Reply to
Fredxx

Inertia controls the rate of acceleration of a mass due to gravity, that's why everything falls at the same rate in a vacuum.

Reply to
jon

A massy object has inertia whether it's moving or not. It only has momentum if it's moving.

Reply to
Max Demian

Sorry, but gravity really has nothing to do with inertia.

Inertia is the idea that an object will continue its current motion until some force causes its speed or direction to change.

or:

Fredxx

TNP is wrong - as he usually is. Momentum is the product of mass and velocity. Speed is merely velocity in the direction of motion - you've chosen to ignore the direction of motion, rather than to throw away an independent variable.

It is interesting that mass - as measured as inertia - is the same as gravitational mass

The concepts are clearly closely related and general relativity makes sense of that, but we still have to couple general relativity with quantum theory.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Momentums is the technical scientific term for the common or garden term 'inertia' - the natural tendency for stuff to keep moving at a constant speed and resits changes to it. Has has been pointed out already momentum is technically a vector. But people don't think vector, much, when they use the word 'inertia'.

For me, momentum is the technical refined description of what ordinary people call 'inertia'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher