Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Doesn't pay at all. That's why he bludges off the state and has lots of time to ask the questions.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Idiots do it for free

Reply to
jon_t

rbowman

400 foot vertical is OK. Just more lift rides per hour, same duty cycle of up and down. Unless there are big lines.

I first skiied at Aspen Highlands, which is about a 4000' vertical. That's another silly story.

About like Tahoe Donner. Fun for a few runs in the afternoon.

I've never been to either but the video looks like a ski slope I would be comfortable with, aka a bunny slope.

When I worked in Ft. Wayne I would make mental health pilgrimages to the Brown County State Park down by Bloomington. Weed Patch Hill isn't the highest point in Indiana but it does have about 250' prominence. The area is also forested. After looking at the miles and miles of dead flat soybean fields around Ft. Wayne I needed something.

I first skied at Killington in VT with about 3000' vertical drop. Luckily I fell off the j-bar before I got too far up the bunny slope. The rental boots were a bit tight, resulting in both big toenails turning black and falling off. That's my downhill experience.

Years later I did some Nordic but preferred flat terrain. I'm more of a snowshoe person and really don't like that sliding sensation. Ice and roller skates didn't work out well either.

Reply to
rbowman

Always clip your toenails before you ski.

Well, I like speed and radical g-forces. My normal driving makes people sick.

I think, or at least imagine, there are mental similarities between skiing/driving/roller coaster sorts of motions and analog circuit design, the same feelings for curves and dynamics.

Analog and digital people are different, I think.

It might just be you conversation.,

design, the same feelings for curves and dynamics.

John Larkin imagines that he can do analog circuit design. He sees it like sking, in that you put one component in front of another and see where that goes,

Analog is more complicated. One of my engineers once expressed scepticism about ECL logic , and when I said that it has always delivered for me, he responded "but you are an analog engineer" with the implication that worrying about transmission line impedances and reflections were the sort of complications that it took an analog engineer to cope with. He was a very good digital engineer, so some kinds of complications didn't worry him at all.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The city got onto a roundabout kick a few years ago. I look at them as challenges either in a car or on a motorcycle. I learned to drive on dirt roads and have no problem drifting through a turn. I just like my feet firmly attached to the ground.

Reply to
rbowman

You must not have much traffic where you are. I invariably encounter some old lady stopped in the approach to the roundabout, waiting for traffic to disappear.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

True.

Locomotives could use rubber soles to increase traction, while the wagons could keep the metal ones to decrease friction. The locomotive could be lighter, then.

Actually, I have a toy train that does just that :-D

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I confirm this.

It is the standard here, if you have your own antena, to feed power to the antena amplifier via the aerial coax cable. It can be done by inserting a special power supply in the cable when it enters the house (a capacitor isolates the DC on the inner side), or the TV set does that.

What I do not know is what would happen to other TV sets in the same cable.

Yep.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

The tyres wouldnt last ten miles. Which is probably as far as your model loco has ever travelled in its life.

James Mays 5 mile toy train line destroyed the brand new locos didnt it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wondered who was the owner of this car. Now I know: it is you!

Carlos E.R.

Leaded gas fouled plugs, and electronic ignitions make lots of millijoules.

My dealer does it in my annual service. It does start to look dirty by then.

I've worn out tires on my 2008 Audi but never had a flat. I did have to replace the silly electronic pressure sensors; the batteries eventually die.

They check everything so prevent problems on the road. It's worth fixing things on a predictable time frame. I've never had a breakdown.

I'd have expected my gas discharge lights with electronic drives to break by now, but they haven't. The covers haven't fogged up, which I see a lot on some cars.

Several of the small lights, incandescents, have failed, but I replaced all of them at once so they should be good for several years. Most are LEDs now.

People here in California handle roundabouts (aka traffic circles) pretty well. They are better than waiting minutes for lights to sequence. But not many people drift them. DGMS on driving in Boston or New Jersey.

I drove OK in Ireland, on the wrong side of the horrible roads, but the roundabouts were challenging.

Like everything on trains, it's complicated.

Who knew that the flanges didn't keep the train on the tracks :-)

*******

You could design trains, where all the wheels are driven. I expect lighter rail solutions could be doing things like that.

One of the trains where I was born, were self-propelled cars run on diesel. The longest of those trains, were three self-propelled cars connected to one another. An "engineer" was located in a short cab area, and was in control of propulsion settings. That train used to do 60 MPH when outside of the yard limit, and did as well on the tracks it got to use, as any national rail trains did.

The number of cars the provider would put on, depended on how many passengers were expected. At it's height, they would put on three cars, and it took something like six hours to reach the end of the line. The train would then return the way it came and arrive back in the originating city.

Doing it that way, means you don't have a loco that weighs 400,000 pounds. The wheels are still steel.

You can see it even has its own air horns on the car. And the train does sound horns at level crossings. But the service life of these is up, and they're no longer running and no similar replacement was designed. But while they existed, these were excellent. You can see the car also has an oscillator-light on the front, which rotates a bit, presumably to attract the attention of careless pedestrians.

And while that picture makes it look like an elevated platform is required, each car has a three-stair section that slides out, and you can "climb aboard" from track level. No matter what "length" the train, there were two staff. The "engineer" in the front of the lead car, and a "conductor" to punch tickets. The conductor could do stuff, like slide the stairs out. Where we used to board, we used the stairs, but I don't remember how the stairs work (retraction mechanism).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

the first few years were rough when people tended to treat them like 4-way stops but most people have figured them out although they slow down. There are advisory speed signs like 15 or 25 mph but I figure if it's on a 45 mph road, you go through it at 45.

These aren't the huge rotaries like back east so 45 is going to rearrange the groceries in back. I go a little slower if I'm carrying eggs.

Reply to
rbowman

That's one of the larger diameter roundabouts and one of the first to be built. They loved it so much...

That's the local idea of a traffic circle. Few of them look that pristine for long. Moving vans, fifth-wheel trailers, and so forth don't have much choice other than running over them. At least the roundabout aprons are tapered down to meet the pavement so you don't get thump - thump - thump.

They are better than the 'bulb-outs' that force bicycles out into the traffic lane in interest of safety.

Reply to
rbowman

Ours aren't very big, either. This is the one I like the best:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ellsworth+%2B+State/@42.229363,-83.73813,3018m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x883caf8c5de8b381:0x428862a71be1fc4a!8m2!3d42.229363!4d-83.73813!16s%2Fg%2F1tf7st9w In their finite wisdom, they located it at the same intersection as the Senior Citizens' Center.

It has improved traffic a lot though, and turned a few major accidents into many fenderbenders.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Maybe. Dunno.

Although I'm not really talking of tyres, but an extra wheel with a rubber "coat" and no rim.

No, mine is "Ibertren".

Reply to
Carlos E.R.