Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Being contrary, I started at the Pearson trailhead on the Idaho side and pedaled uphill. It's a gentle grade so that was no problem. A bike light is required so I bought the cheapest one REI had. Mistake. After going through nine shorter tunnels as blind as a bat when I got to the mouth of that one I turned around and coasted back to the car.

That's another chunk of the Milwaukee Road near Butte. It has tunnels but I walked it. Walking in the dark is a lot easier than trying to ride a bike in the dark.

There is another stretch near St. Regis that convinced me a suspension seat post was a good idea. It's also open to motorized vehicles so it's not all that appealing.

Reply to
rbowman

There's something magical and eerie and sort of sad about the old railroad tunnels.

Tunnel6 used to be open to vehicles (it needed a jeep) but I don't think it is any more. There was a rumor that it might be re-tracked and used for trains again.

We drove a jeep about 4 miles, starting on the west entrance, through the tunnels, and then through miles of snow sheds back into daylight. Very cool.

They built the transcontinental railroad with muscles and mules and black powder. No GPS, no flashlights, no CAD tools.

The old Lincoln Highway is just below the tunnel, running below the Rainbow Bridge.

531 according to
But that's misleading, it's called the incarceration RATE, yet it isn't a rate. It's the percentage of people in jail right now. What about how many have ever been in jail? What if we count Joe Bloggs because he served 5 years a decade ago? What about people who went in overnight to cool off?

Did you really write maths correctly? We're getting there.

You're lucky to only have 13%. I bet you in 30 years, more than 50% will be Muslims. UK and USA.

How about if they kill one of their own kind, you don't jail them? That would cut costs and their population.

:-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I did not have Muslims in mind. I'm not sure something like Nation if Islam is even recognized by Muslims.

That is effectively the case in many large US cities but the population percentage remains stable. The Chicago PD released an in depth analysis of homicides in 2011. To summarize less than 4% of the cases involved whites as either the perpetrator or the victim. It hasn't improved in the intervening years.

Ironically the Chicago blacks have come to the realization that unchecked immigration means more mestizos to dilute their political power. That 'people of color' label starts to unravel when you realize that each subset doesn't care all that much for the others.

Reply to
rbowman

We have the Kim Williams trail which is another chunk of the Milwaukee Road. It runs along the river so is a gentle grade, with one exception.

The new state park is nice but railroad went under the mentioned overlook through Tunnel 16 1/2. It's a short tunnel and from what I can see is in good shape but the state is risk adverse and has fenced off the entrances. That means a steep climb up the ridge and down the other side. I hike it fairly often but I don't think I could have done it on a bicycle in my younger days.

There are other stretches with tunnels that are accessible but aren't even formal trail to trails with some really shaky looking tunnels compared to

16 1/2.

It's not as well known as the Northern Pacific or Union Pacific but for something that started as a short line from Milwaukee to the river it had big dreams.

Reply to
rbowman

Pretty.

We have the Foresthill Bridge.

There's a group of people who post little colorful inspirational notes along the footpath to dissuade suicides.

Tunnel6 would be tough on a bike; it's tricky to walk. The floor is gravel and mud and the railroad cinder things, puddles in places, dripping from above, pitch black in places with a dull glow from one end. Fun acoustics.

If you're ever out this way, hike it.

It's not super human if anyone can do it.

Can't say I can hear many of the words....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You're an idiot. I've gone in 32F water for hours. The myth is you die in 15 minutes, but just try it for yourself, don't believe the bullshit. The correct answer is the average person is fine for 2 hours. The US Marines say 6 hours. Myself, I don't even shiver for 30 minutes. But then shivering makes heat....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have days and days. On bad days I'd be walking very gingerly. I had no problem walking across the Golden Gate but that doesn't have the visual relief.

There was a small airport on the north side of Ft. Wayne. One takeoff from one of the runways you climbed past an WOWO's AM antenna array. It was a strange feeling visualizing yourself on the antenna rather than the cockpit of the Tomahawk. Somebody has to change the light bulbs but it ain't me.

The CN Tower in Toronto is another one. I've been in tall buildings like the John Hancock in Chicago but something in that needle like structure caused my reptilian brain to say "NO!"

Reply to
rbowman

I do, depending what I'm doing. I don't like lugging 12 litre steel scuba tanks far from the car. But I'll stick a snorkel in a bumbag and go running for 15 miles to a lake.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've walked and run and cycled the west highland way, but the weirdest person I met was doing the whole thing on bicycle, with an enormous trailer, big enough to look like it should be towed by car. He said he liked to have luxuries with him, I said I preferred to expend less energy and live a simpler life. No cooked food, no cooker required. No tent or sleeping bag, just lie down on some grass (but I do take insect repellant!)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I was riding a steep chairlift a few weeks ago. The guy with me asked if we could pull the safety bar down, almost apologetically. We started talking and I asked him how old he was. 42.

I had zero fear of heights when I was young. About the age of 40, I started getting intense vertigo. I couldn't walk along a cliff (the cliffs of moher were intense) and it was scary to climb a ladder. And it gradually faded away, mostly gone now. I've had other guys say the same thing, fear of heights kicking in around the age of 40.

The guy and I agreed that it didn't affect our skiing.

This doesn't bother me now.

Sounds too much like Gillian, a girl's name.

Sounds like Dwaine Dibley (see Red Dwarf).

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds French.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds too much like Fubar (f***ed up beyond all recognition).

Sounds more like a wrestler's name.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Sounds too much like Fubar (f***ed up beyond all recognition).

Sounds more like a wrestler's name.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because the others sound silly. And actually every Robert I've known prefers Rob, it's more masculine than Bert. Especially if you've seen Bert and Ernie.

Yeah but they all have weird names.