Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

Does that have anything to do with trying to turn the headlights on in a British car?

Reply to
rbowman

Lucas is like royalty. The Duke of Darkness.

Reply to
Ed P

AI should eventually be able to drive way better than us. In fact they already can. So they should have higher speed limits.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you read what I just said? They have no problem with 4 different wattages.

It's not rocket science.

How did they find out?

It should be flat rate like internet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Isn't German still like that? Huge long words to mean something complicated?

Why is zero plural?

And English does all of the above at random.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They do tend use compound words where English more likely to use a phrase, but "antidisestablishmentism" is Engish word.

Actually, there tend to be lots. English seems to have six sets of phoneme to grapheme transcriptions. English is a Germanic language, but it has a lot of loan words from French, and French has different rules, and we've borrowed from other languages as well

Not at random - it all depends on which language the word comes from.

Dutch has the phrase "Alle hans op dak" which literally means "All hens on the roof" but is actually the English command "All hands on deck" transcribed more or less phonetically. There's a lot of borrowing.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Bet you it's the other way around, for 'deck' anyways.

RL

Reply to
legg

You'd lose. I lived in the Netherlands for 19 years, and speak fluent (if not all that correct) Dutch) . My last year of Dutch lessons happened to have been taken with a bunch of linguists who got very good. That snippet came out of that year. I didn't learn as much as they did, but I did learn a lot from them, as well as the teachers.

Dutch and English split at about 800 AD and "dak" certainly has the same origin as the English word "deck", but the phrase got poached as complete unit much later.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Sure, get a "grippy" material that can hold >100 tons (>200,000 pounds) in a single car with 4 (or even 6) axles, and maybe you have an idea.

Oh, and it has to have a service life of a quarter million miles (minimum).

Reply to
Dan Purgert

The point is you want *minimum* friction in a clock (or any journal) bearing.

Reply to
Max Demian

And the other point is, the load on the bearing is deeply significant, which is why (almost*) no piston engine uses roller or ball bearings routinely on a crankshaft.

*I think I recall one example on a small motorcycle engine, but I could be wrong.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I bought my first bike I called the insurance man. He asked what the displacement was and I said 74. He asked "cc's?". Nope. In its day 1212 cc's was considered a large motorcycle engine.

If you think about it the real problem is getting a circular bearing onto the crankshaft. However, if the engine case splits perpendicular to the crank and there are no middle journals, no problem. In the case of the Harley design where the entire crank is assembled and not cast as one piece, there's no reason not to use needle bearings on the conn rod big ends.

Harley certainly isn't the only one. Most older bike engines used them. I won't say 'all' but they are still used for dirt bikes like my 650cc Suzuki thumper.

Reply to
rbowman

all the two-strokes are ball and roller bearings, it is a hassle because you can't get ball and roller bearings on a one piece crank

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I didn't insist they took theirs off.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why bother? I don't wear a shirt and tie when asked to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Toyota used roller bearings in it's car engines, which did rotate a lot faster than regular car engines. Toyota did start off as a motor cycle manufacturer.

I got told about this in Southampton in 1974 by one of the other chemistry post-docs who was mad about cars., and drove a very fast Toyota. It might have been a 2000 GT but probably wasn't - post-docs didn't get much money

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

they started out making looms, they never made motorcycles

unlikely, only a little more that 300 2000GT were made and they cost more than a Jaguar E-type

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm confident about the roller-bearing car engine. less confident about the make of car. It was fifty years ago.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Oops. That suggests that I've confused Honda and Toyota. Googling Honda - which did start out making motorcycles - suggests that I might have been thinking of an S600 or an S800, both which had very fast spinning engines.'

It was fifty years ago., and I was driving a very old Peugeot 404 at the time. Fairly quick, but cheap to insure.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Surely deliveries go outside cities. Maybe you pay a bit more, but your house is way cheaper.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey