OT: US Election Question from Europe

I think the PhD test is bogus. Getting a PhD is about tenacity and desire every bit as much as intelligence. I've met many a PhD who couldn't do diddly squat in reality because in those ways they weren't very smart. I've also met many a PhD who was clearly not as smart as I am in every way I could tell.

You need some minimum level of intelligence to earn a PhD, but having one doesn't mean you are smarter than someone without a PhD.

I would challenge the true intelligence of both of you for even having this discussion. Obviously there is some need that is only filled by coming here and arguing. Too bad neither of you are PhDs in psychology.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:34:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org Gave us:

The idiots plugs his 10X overpriced crap every time he gets in front of a mic. And his 10X overvalued business as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

as Secretary of State from January 2009 to February 2013. You may not like her character, but - however bad it may be - Trump has to be worse.

So she was Secretary of State. Now tell me what she accomplished while Sec retary of State. Her character is shown by her putting up a email server so her emails could not be held to public scrutiny.

er, which doesn't think much of Trump, but - despite your delusions - I am a critical reader, and don't take anything for granted.

up $10,000 in U.S. currency and I will do the same. It is put up or shut up.

that I've got a Ph.D, and you haven't would trump any IQ test result, but s till isn't definitive. The question of who is richer could be answered, but only if I were prepared to reveal my financial details to you, which would n't be a smart move.

Especially because you think you would lose.

The word you are looking for is "stupid". I am neither deaf or dumb.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I don't know if those facts are correct because like the number of representatives in the house, that number gets adjusted every 10 years by population, no? The disparity in electors per population comes from the fact that each state gets two electors for the to Senators as well as the members of the House.

You are missing the point that *all* of Vermont's votes mean nothing if a few large states vote the other way. It is less than a dozen states that can elect the President all by themselves if they vote the same way. CA, TX, FL, NY, IL, PA, OH, GA, MI, NC, NJ

Wikipedia points out that the President could be elected by as few as

22% of the voters.

Worse than that many states are pretty consistent in how they vote, so the entire election is usually decided by a very few states that are "swing" state since the votes in those states are usually close and can go either way depending on the particular election.

Do you think it is fair that 51% of Californians control 55 or roughly

10% of the total electoral college?
--

Rick
Reply to

That's roughly what I said - it's better than an IQ test result, which is e ven more bogus, but not definitive.

I'd put more emphasis on tenacity than desire. By the time I'd got a Ph.D. I'd seen enough Ph.D.s to realise that having a Ph.D. wasn't something to g et excited about, but the fact that I'd already put years of work into gett ing a Ph.D. meant that I didn't give up when I realised that getting the de gree wasn't going to be as impressive an achievement as I'd originally thou ght.

hose > ways they weren't very smart. I've also met many a PhD who was cle arly not > as smart as I am in every way I could tell.

Having done a Ph.D. I've exposed to a lot of them, and I completely agree. Having a wife who majored in psychology and got her Ph.D from a psychology department, I'm also aware that there are a lot of different ways of being smart, and the mix of intellectual skills that lets you complete a Ph.D. is n't necessarily one that makes you useful in other environments.

Being smart has lots of different components, and Dan claiming that he is " smarter" than me is essentially an apples versus pears comparison. The fact that he thinks it worth his time to make the claim does imply that he isn' t all that smart.

Obviously. Which is essentially what I said. In the real world somebody who has got a Ph.D. has jumped a number of hurdles that discriminate against t he less smart, so they'll tend to be smarter than non-Ph.D.s, but that's a general observation, and admits of numerous exceptions.

I could probably get one, if I could be bothered. Jumping up and down on Da n's intellectual pretensions is fun, and I've got nothing better to do. I h ave been fooling around with the Legendre conjecture, which is being too Ja mie-like for comfort, but at least I've got enough sense to know that it is a waste of time, since real mathematicians have been fooling around there since 1905 and not got anywhere much (though the proposition the there's al ways a prime between n^3 and (n+1)^3 has now been proved to be true for n l arger than some very large number - n?exp(exp(33.217))).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

was Secretary of State from January 2009 to February 2013. You may not lik e her character, but - however bad it may be - Trump has to be worse.

It's a job where you react to the outside world. Not visibly screwing up is as much as you can hope to achieve. Some commentators think she did a bett er job than most Secretaries of State have, but such opinions tend to be pa rtisan.

ld not be held to public scrutiny.

Only if you are a Republican. Diplomats might differ.

rker, which doesn't think much of Trump, but - despite your delusions - I a m a critical reader, and don't take anything for granted.

t up $10,000 in U.S. currency and I will do the same. It is put up or shu t up.

t that I've got a Ph.D, and you haven't would trump any IQ test result, but still isn't definitive. The question of who is richer could be answered, b ut only if I were prepared to reveal my financial details to you, which wou ldn't be a smart move.

It's a contest you proposed. You wouldn't have proposed it unless you thoug ht that you would win. You may well be deceiving yourself - you aren't very smart - but why take the risk.

"Dumb" is used to mean stupid. If you wanted to insist that the word only b e used in it's literal sense, you could start a campaign, but it would refl ect a stupid misapprehension about how natural language works.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

I did take several psych courses while in college. One general , one behav ioural , and one about interaction in small groups. The last was really a Sociology course, but very close. I have been trying to see if criticizing Bill would reduce his reward he gets from having posted. And therefore red uce the amount of posting that he does. It does not seem to make any diffe rence. I think there is too much time between when he posts and when he se es my reply. That and the fact that negative reinforcement is not all that effective.

But I agree with you that a Phd is not a good indicator of intelligence. O f the three guys that lived across the hall from me in college. The smartes t one did not get a Phd. The other two both got Phd's and became professor s. One of them went to med school for a couple of years and decided that m ed school was kind of boring and switched to Molecular Biology. Did his po st doc with Crick. But to keep this on electronics, he was the chief engineer of the college r adio station while he was an undergrad.

I will try to shut up, but may relapse if I read something that I consider really stupid.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Maybe you are PhD material. You don't realize you have no idea of what a "reward" is to Bill.

Well, it's not like your abstinence will affect the SNR around here much.

--

Rick
Reply to

.

avioural , and one about interaction in small groups. The last was really a Sociology course, but very close. I have been trying to see if criticizi ng Bill would reduce his reward he gets from having posted. And therefore r educe the amount of posting that he does. It does not seem to make any dif ference. I think there is too much time between when he posts and when he sees my reply.

Dan has an exaggerated idea of the effectiveness of his posts. As far as I an concerned he is one more right-wing nitwit, and one of the stupider ones at that. Pointing out how stupid they are is somewhat of rewarding.

Of the three guys that lived across the hall from me in college. The smart est one did not get a Ph.D. The other two both got Ph.D.'s and became prof essors. One of them went to med school for a couple of years and decided t hat med school was kind of boring and switched to Molecular Biology. Did h is post-doc with Crick.

radio station while he was an undergrad.

None of this has any bearing on the point that having a Ph.D. isn't a good indicator of intelligence. Poor though it may be, it does seem to be better than a high score on an IQ test, which seems to be the basis for Dan's del uded idea that he's "smart".

r really stupid.

Then avoid re-reading your own posts.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

MentallyDeficientLoserNumeroUno, sexual deviate, and exemplary Democrat, should be ignored/shunned. ...Jim Thompson

Your just jealous of him having more money than you, a lot more!!!!

When others have more than you, it seems they are not often liked.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Trump has said he wants Britain to rebuild Hadrian?s Wall.

?They need to build a wall,? the murophile told a rally last night.

?And they need to get England to pay for it.?

Trump is concerned that too many English are making their way north, to the detriment of Scotland, where he likes to remind people his mother came from.

?When England sends its people, they?re not sending their best,? he told a bemused interviewer shortly after the rally.

?They?re sending golfers. Hikers. Stand-up comedians for the Edinburgh Fringe.?

Asked why, as a US presidential candidate, he felt the need to comment on such specifically British issues, Trump pursed his lips, made a kind of a face, and looked into the middle distance.

Reply to
JM