Labor wins broadband election

Labor wins broadband election Sep 7, 2010 3:38 PM

Independents back Gillard minority Government.

Independent MPs Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor have backed Labor to govern Australia, with both saying the national broadband network was critical to their decisions.

The nation stopped for the announcement, which was broadcast live nationally at

3pm AEST.

Windsor said there was an "enormous opportunity for regional Australians to engage with infrastructure of this century".

"To pass up that opportunity and miss the opportunity for a million people of country Australia ... I thought [it] was too good an opportunity to miss," Windsor said.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I don't think Windsor has enough brains to understand what he has actually voted for. For a farmer or someone in a small community that doesn't have broadband at all, NBN will do absolutely nothing.

For someone in many small communities that only have ADSL1, NBN will do absolutely nothing.

NBN will only provide ultra-fast broadband to people who live in major centres, not the rural people that Windsor claims to support. And it will do so at a cost of $5000 per household (paid indirectly through tax), whether they want it or not.

But the thing is, those who want/need those sort of speeds now, and who live in larger communities can get those speeds now, through either multiple-line ADSL2, or through fibre. They have to pay for the privilege of course. But why should the many people who don't even have dial-up internet, because they don't want any internet, pay through the nose, so the handful of people who do want ultra-fast broadband can have it?

Furthermore, when copper lines are removed, how will it benefit the population when they no longer have a simple and reliable POTS? For a great many of the elderly (and probably a large portion of the rest of the community too), they don't give a rats arse about ultra-fast broadband, they just want a telephone that is cheap and reliable. NBN will take that away from them.

Like everything else the ALP does, it is poorly thought through, and sold with lies.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
Reply to

In some regards you have a point here and there.

If we go back to what the NBN was really meant to be - can we remember that?

I recall that the whole thing about the NBN was to achieve a single hardware 'truck' provider like the old STC was [before they made Telecom with it. The idea of Telstra giving up it's cables, trenches, conduits etc is to have a single carrier period. After which all retail bods rent the 'landlines' and so away we go.

Or am I missing something?

Reply to
z1

Yep, it was the dud's attempt to bullshit his way out of his predicament when his 007 election promise of putting the FTTN out to competitive tended produced NOT ONE viable tenderer.

'truck' provider like the old STC was

Wrong. And there was no STC either, there was the PMG before Telecom.

single carrier period.

That was never part of the NBN initially.

Yep, you dont have a clue about how the NBN actually got started.

Reply to
Rod Speed

'truck' provider like the old STC was

a single carrier period.

well I meant the OTC

it got merged with Telecom

interesting bit here:

what I was trying to say was that the joining of OTC with the 'telecom' of the day, was the big mistake made by Labor

the OTC could have become the NBN of the time.

Reply to
z1

So list the data quota available for under $40? Hint double digit GIGABYTEs, not megabytes start to be acceptable.

Reply to
terryc

As was said in Yes Minister, "The smell of Ministerial leather is powerfull aphrodisiac."

Reply to
SG1

z1 wrote

Australia, with both saying the

of country Australia ... I thought [it]

absolutely nothing.

with lies.

'truck' provider like the old STC was

OK, but Telecom was never 'made with it'

Yes, and was always a tiny part of the total.

Nope. Nothing there is any news to anyone who knows anything about it.

It was the only viable way to go.

Like hell it could. It never ever had anything to do with telecoms within the country.

Reply to
Rod Speed

terryc wrote

voted for.

He appears to be mostly driven by a much better prospect of the NBN with Labor given that the coalition said very unambiguously that they would kill it, and decided that the coalition would have another election as soon as the polls looked promising and he would have to find the money for his own election campaign.

Katter was too stupid to even consider that sort of thing.

all,

Thats nothing like your previous lie about 'that doesn't have broadband at all'

You can get a hell of a lot more than just MBs for $40.

Reply to
Rod Speed

SG1 wrote

voted for.

all,

very large download limit plans that you

aphrodisiac."

Windsor was never even offered that.

Reply to
Rod Speed