OT: US Election Question from Europe

Greetings gentlemen,

Normally the media coverage of US presidential election machinations warrants a yawn at best from this side of the pond, but this time it's different because of one man. It's suddenly become *very* interesting to many of us here. But there's something I don't understand and perhaps our American friends can disabuse me of my ignorance on the matter. The question I cannot find answered satisfactorily anywhere is: why is Trump so unpopular even among his fellow Republicans? He appears to be espousing traditional, core conservative views which have resonated with huge numbers of voters. He's the outstanding GOP candidate at present and looks highly likely to get the nomination. Why then, are some senior Republicans describing Trump succeeding in his bid as a "disaster" for America and that he must be taken down at all costs, even if it means Hillary winning? What can they possibly be finding fault with FFS??

TIA,

-- confused.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Because our _career_ politicians are crooks. They view Trump as a wee-bit of a wild man (obviously :-). If he gets elected he's going to separate some career politicians from their graft. ...Jim Thompson

Career politicians *everywhere* are crooks. The whole concept of having "career politicians" is *deeply* flawed and I for one look forward to a future in which there is no such thing as a career in politics. Only once we've disposed of the idea of retaining a political class will it become blindingly obvious, in retrospect, what a lunatic notion it was and how it could bring nothing but misery and destitution to millions of decent people here and around the globe. Enough already!

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Trump has had some liberal views re: abortion and healthcare that have some conservatives upset. Trump is saying all the right things with nothing to say how he would make them happen. I like the fact that he has got things done in his life, he make things happen. I think he would get a fence built!

I disagree with him though, I don't care how tall the fence is, I want two fences, 30 yards apart with Concertina wire filling the space. Then a surveillance road wide enough to sound for tunnels.

OH! back to Trump, I would like his VP to be John Kasich, he is experienced, has worked with members of congress, is fiscally conservative, and has balanced a budget. Common sense guy.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Anyone other than that fat phony bastard Chris Christie would get my vote. I see him already manoevering himself into position behind Trump - no doubt with the intention of sneakily derailing Trump from carrying out his vitally important reforms.

Reply to
Chris

I think they were afraid of Ronald Reagan too, but that worked out ok in the end.

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

** Yes you are confused.

The problem with Trump is that he appears to have an unstable personality and is motivated by all the *wrong reasons* to want to be in politics.

If elected to the presidency, Republican party leaders fear Trump would become an uncontrollable loose cannon - an embarrassment and potential disaster for the country and the party.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Our founding fathers presumed that "politicians" would serve their country, then go back to their farm/business. That's where we have failed. Time for the guillotine >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Two fences with "murder holes" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 00:21:28 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom Gave us:

Because he is an insulting, vulgar, stupid bastard. full of empty promises.

Take off the horse blinders. He doesn't even come close to knowing what conservative views are and apparently you do not either.

He is an interloper, at best.

Take his performance in Scotland as a perfect example of what to expect from the lying piece of shit bastard.

He promised to produce 6000 new local jobs.

He has not even hit the 200 mark after years of futzing around there blaming everyone else for his failed, overpriced bullshit. He moved property lines in effect committing blatant theft from other proximal land owners in the area, and the PIGs he paid off looked the other way.

The idiots over here drank his "I am huge... I am amazing" bullshit Kool-Aid and I wish they would all go drink a big glass of Jim Jones' Kool-Aid.

WAKE THE FUCK UP AMERICA!!!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 00:21:28 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom Gave us:

NONE of them have said this. Seems you have a problem morphing what you actually hear and see into what you want it to be.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 17:30:59 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Yet another completely full of shit absolute idiot chimes in.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 19:06:06 -0600, amdx Gave us:

Nope. My plan is the answer. Build HUGE federal prison with a HUGE prison brick factory in it. to build the wall with.

Then, establish a military base that ruins the entire length of the border but only a mile wide.. Put TWO fences on the inside perimeter of that and a mine field between them. Put up signs like those at area 51 declaring that the use of deadly force is permitted and used.

Then, it's field practice day for all military riflemen. The incursions would stop practically immediately.

Oh and there would be no tunnels. They become burial sites.

And we would get our lacking prison system back up to par.

No more weight sets out in the yard. Get back to breaking rocks so they are small enough to fit into the crusher for the brick mix.

Want reduced time? Get on that generator bike and put some juice onto the grid.

Recreation? Only the best, most behaved inmates get anything close to that. The rest? No newspapers... no TV... no cable... no news...

NO contact with the outside world at all, unless your education and rehabilitation scoring is up to par.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 19:06:06 -0600, amdx Gave us:

Trump will get nowhere near The Office of the President. Maybe so he can apologize, but that is about it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 01:09:24 -0000 (UTC), Chris Gave us:

I saw the look on his face and it was "damn what have I gotten my stupid ass into?"

Christie is a fat ass slob, and nobody who cannot even manage his own waistline should be allowed to take official positions where they manage our freedoms. No cops... no judges... no politicians, and certainly no one at the top spot(s).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The founders were elected by land-owning white men. As soon as non-land-owning white men started voting they started voting for a ruling class.

In other words the voters who don't have a farm or business vote for people who don't have one either.

Twenty-somethings now support a guy who never had a job until he was 40.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 17:29:13 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison Gave us:

Try for the entire friggin' planet!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

45% of illegal aliens came in legally and over-stayed their visas.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 19:03:07 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Guaranteed he had to go look the term up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 21:47:49 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" Gave us:

Not a factual statistic.