Electricity in Europe

Was in Portugal last year with a 50 watt converter. Didn't work worth beans. Any chance I can buy a plug when Im over there and a small clamp then only use one side of there 220 and the other side I would clamp to a ground (copper pipe or something) Thanks Rick

Reply to
trickyrick

AFAIK it doesn't work that way -- it's either isolated from ground or it's the usual ground/neutral arrangement, just with 220 instead of 110.

Hopefully this'll either answer your question or attract a real answer from someone who lives over there...

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

European power is nominally 240 to ground/neutral. There's no 110 anywhere to access.

John

Guess that answers my question thanks

Reply to
trickyrick

Get a decent adapter!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Em Quinta 29 Outubro 2009 23:20, Tim Wescott escreveu:

Monofasic AC power have a live and a neutral, the neutral is nearly groung (but not the ground for protection of metal devices) and the live is

230volts (was 220V a until a few years ago).

Any attempt to connect something between live and ground, or neutral and ground will trigger the earth leakage circuit breakers.

The OP needs a transformer 230VAC/110VAC, and i guess more powerfull than

50Watt, at least more powerfull than the devices he is going to plug.

best regards from Portugal

Reply to
ArameFarpado