Election Re-Run?

It's the only way to prevent a bloodbath. Re-run it but with proper (international if necessary) observers in place at all times during the whole tallying up period - and NO POSTAL VOTING ALLOWED.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

there's not going to be a bloodbath. People would miss Season 2 of the Mandalorian. sit down.

Reply to
bitrex

There are already about 45 international observers attending this election - usually there are perhaps 100, but Covid-19 buggered that up. As usual (over two decades) the US State Department invited the European OSCE to observe the current election:

Other countries are paying attention:

As an underpaid Russian troll you flunk, as usual.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

You might want to consider just how many portions of the Constitution would need to be amended for that to happen, and for it to "stick" legally.

Just to consider three areas:

(1) There's no provision in the Constitution which would allow disregarding the results of a Presidental election, and re-running it. The Constitution sets to the date for the election. It sets a date for when the newly-elected president is inaugurated. It sets the procedures for resolving the situation if the states' electors don't actually elect a president by Inauguration Day (there's a final one-vote-per-state resolution procedure, which I don't think has ever been used). Changing any of these things would require a Constitutional amendment, passed by Congress and then ratified by 38 or more states.

(2) The current president's time in that role ends on Inauguration Day, unless the president is formally re-elected according to the above Constitutional procedures. The current president doesn't and cannot continue in any sort of "acting" role until matters are resolved... he or she reverts to being a private citizen on that day. Full stop, game over, thank you for playing. As I understand it, if neither the President nor the Vice President is legally re-elected, then the Speaker of the House is next in line to fill the role of interim President. Once again, changing this would require a Constitutional amendment.

(3) As to "no postal voting allowed", that's not a matter that's up the Federal government at all. Under the Constitution, each state uses its own authority to set its the processes for votor registration, voting, and vote counting. The Constition claims specific authority over very little of this: the date of the election is specified, and the right to vote cannot be denied for any of several reasons (e.g. race, sex, etc.) but otherwise it's up to the States. You'd need a Constitutional amendment to force states to give up their rights to set the terms and conditions of the elections they run, mandating new uniform country-wide standards and processes for collecting and counting and auditing and certifying votes, and forbidding voting by mail (and it'd be interesting to see how you might phrase this, such that nobody could find loopholes or alternative ways of achieving the same thing e.g. authenticated electronic remote voting of some sort).

Getting 38 states to agree to all of the above, and actually ratify the necessary Constitutional amendments... good luck. History suggests it ain't gonna happen any time soon, and certainly not in time to be any help with the present situation.

Trying to force through an election do-over of any sort just wouldn't pass muster, legally, without the above amendments. Neither the President, nor Congress, nor the courts are given any such authority by the Constitution. Even if the Democratic and Republican parties and their candidates all agreed that it was a swell idea and we should do it, the results would not be legal, and the authority of the President elected in such a re-do election would be immediately challenged by a few million lawsuits and would almost certainly not be upheld by any competent court.

We've inherited the current Constitutional system, and (for present purposes) we're stuck with it. We have to work within its processes, or the country falls apart.

Reply to
Dave Platt

What a load of nonsense. The easy way to prevent a bloodbath would be for Trump to recognise that he had lost, admit it, and retire gracefully. It wouldn't be easy for Trump, but that really isn't the issue.

Which is to say that Cursitor Doom is silly enough to believe Trump's claims about postal voting, which has been used for many years in the US and doesn't seem to have been associated with any kind of fraud. The US counting process is already properly observed, if with local observers, who are much cheaper than international observers, and a whole lot more interested in seeing that counting is done fairly.

Postal voting does favour the Democrats, because it gets around a bunch of devices the Republicans have used to keep likely Democrat voters from voting, and Trump is complaining about it because he is a cheating crook.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Sounds like an excessively credulous take on a close election

Too damned late, the STATES determine that, and it'd take fifty different legislatures to take implement any such plan.

Besides, we've been doing postal-ballots-only for years in this state (Washington) with no problems. The whole thing was set up and run by Republican officials (Secretary of State is an elected position). If someone told you that postal ballots were invalid in some way, you kick him next time you see the meddler.

Reply to
whit3rd

About the date... who defines the calendar? I think it was a British defen se project that was very late and over budget. If they held the contractor to the contract they would go under or something. The contract had a deli very date of a certain year. To extend the contract which apparently could not be done by normal means of a new contract, for the purposes of that co ntract they passed a low extending the year. They finally completed it on the 732nd day of the year or some such absurdity.

If the election is held on the Tuesday after the first Monday of November, why can't they change the calendar to not have such a day and make it NoEle ctionDay? The calendar is not in the Constitution.

Considering what it takes to amend the Constitution and some of the propose d amenndments that never passed, I'm surprised by many that did pass. One that doesn't surprise me is the 21st.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rickster C

Big baby dwopped his wattle? Snot fair!

--
Clive
Reply to

We had postal voting in local elections in the UK and it was rife for fraudulent voting, specifically among the Muslim communities where such corruption is endemic. I'd have thought the US would have learned from our experience in this regard. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Even if they're a highly trained militiaman?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The mythical well-regulated militia. If they had enough sense to benefit from such training, they'd have enough sense not to hang around with people who think that postal voting is invalid.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

What devices? I'm curious.

Reply to
John S

or Trump to recognise that he had lost, admit it, and retire gracefully. It wouldn't be easy for Trump, but that really isn't the issue.

ace at all times during the whole tallying up period - and NO POSTAL VOTING ALLOWED.

laims about postal voting, which has been used for many years in the US and doesn't seem to have been associated with any kind of fraud.

ervers, who are much cheaper than international observers, and a whole lot more interested in seeing that counting is done fairly.

of devices the Republicans have used to keep likely Democrat voters from v oting, and Trump is complaining about it because he is a cheating crook.

Insisting on photographic identification - usually a driver's license. Havi ng too few voting stations and putting them well away from public transport . Having the voting stations only open on working days, during working hours. There are a lot of them - those are just the ones that come to mind quickly. Jeb Bush in Florida befo re the 2000 elections purged all people with convictions from the voter rol ls (as he was supposed to) - and it turned out that they also purged everyb ody who had similar name, or lived at the same address. In an excess of ent husiasm ...

Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But, doesn't that apply to both parties? How does it target Democrats?

Reply to
John S

In a scenario where one of your anarchists is launching a kick at a militiaman or an Oathkeeper, I'd be inclined to bet against the anarchist.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yeah, the election was skewed by the huge Muslim, liberal, mail in vote in Georgia. Damn it! I knew we should have done something about that.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rickster C

from such training, they'd have enough sense not to hang around with peopl e who think that postal voting is invalid.

In Las Vegas, police shot and killed Jorge Gomez, who was walking among pro testers and reportedly reached for his firearm when he was shot.[66]

In Downtown Austin, 28-year old Garrett Foster was killed in a shooting at a Black Lives Matter protest. The incident happened around 9:52 p.m. near E ast Sixth Street and Congress Avenue, according to Austin-Travis County EMS . Police said initial reports indicate that Foster was carrying an AK-47 st

was killed.[83][102] == I think we will see some rise in news about militiamen and such, then they will just fade away over the next eight years.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rickster C

Invention? I don't think so, Bill. It's all part of a long-running plot to undermine and ultimately destroy the pillars which underpin Western civilisation. Here's a primer from your preferred source, so you won't be able to take issue with that aspect at least....

These mentally-ill old cretins may be long dead, but unfortunately their poisonous ideas have survived them and 'daylight is the best disinfectant' as we say.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

ng invention. There were cultural Marxists once, but they died out long ago .

Do take your idiot conspiracy theories some place where your haven't put as much work into identifying yourself as half-wit.

I saw it years ago, and I believe I've pointed it out to you here.

poisonous ideas have survived them and 'daylight is the best disinfectant ' as we say.

People who write do preserve their ideas for future generations. The Frankf urt school doesn't seem to have been influential, and the only people who s till take them seriously seem to be right-wing lunatics like you, who imagi ne that they have some kind of secret influence. I'm a bit surprised that you haven't told us that they were funded by George Soros. He hadn't been b orn in 1918 when the school got under way, but inconvenient details like th at don't usually put you off.

Quite how managed you to imagine that your rabid fantasising is some kind of disinfecting sunlight is left as an exercise for the reader. You clearl y can't tell shit from shinola, but shinola isn't sunshine.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ng invention. There were cultural Marxists once, but they died out long ago .

Cursitor Doom doesn't think at all. He just cuts and pastes right-wing twad dle.

y the pillars which underpin Western civilisation.

One more idiot conspiracy theory from a crew who haven't got a clue about t he basis of Western civilisation (such as it is) and fondly imagine that th eir rabid lunacies are supporting it.

issue with that aspect at least....

I have posted that link here before, in reaction to your bizarre delusions in this area. It doesn't suggest that the Frankfurt school was all that in fluential, or that it had any civilisation-destroying capacity.

poisonous ideas have survived them and 'daylight is the best disinfectant' as we say.

Since you don't seem to have a clue what those "poisonous ideas" might have been, and certainly haven't detailed them anywhere, the proposition that you are revealing them - rather than making fatuous claims about their non- existent influence - is bizarre, and the idea that you "insights" might be some kind of disinfectant is somewhere between pathetic and fatuous.

If you want somebody to destroy the basis of western civilisation, there's no need to look further than Donald Trump. Benito Mussolini was an intellec tual giant in comparison (and even he didn't make the trains run on time).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to