OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:07:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Whoopie f***in' doo. I had my Alan Parsons album on the brain.

Fuck you, boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:07:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

You've been watching too many movies, wussy boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I'm not into males, thank you.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Roy, your entertainment value has dropped to zero, so you are being canceled.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That only indicates it's hardware related. Any hardware reset would look like a power fault.

So the tech may have been right.

Bookmarks are in a simple html file, here. Passwords are in a file in the same folder but are probably not recoverable. I've had no luck copying the old formhistory.dat file from a backup.

%USERPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\RANDOMNAME\\bookmarks.html

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
underscore and remove the last word.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 04:46:08 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

You're IQ has dropped to zero, so you have canceled yourself, dipshit.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I see that you're still not man enough to describe how an ESR meter works. Maybe in another 20 years you'll grow up to be troll of the year.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One of the most common causes of bulging electrolytics is heat generated by HF ripple developing a ripple voltage across the capacitor's ESR - its rare for a SC to cause this - although it does occasionally happen. The next most common cause is really crap quality electrolytics, although this is probably a similar failure mechanism caused by the switching hash on the supply rails caused by all the simultaneous logic switches producing a non PSU related "ripple effect" on the supply rails.

Reply to
ian.field1

everyone

So what test frequency do you use when checking electrolytics for ESR on your 40k bridge?

Reply to
ian.field1

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 02:06:52 GMT, "ian.field1" Gave us:

It has an ESR readout across numerous frequencies from 2 Hz all the up through 400kHz. The typical test frequency is 120Hz, however there are plenty of special circumstances such as our *huge* Rifa caps we used for our laser cap charger supplies, which operated at 1kHz, and required that we give the customer specs at that frequency. These were 550 volt ELs with very low ESR and ESL values. It was a 1000 Volt cap charger at 1kW fill rate capacity. The customer used banks of them in series and parallel configurations.

We also used many Maxwell caps of enormous Voltages and capacities.

Here is the device.

It was $40k when it was new. We didn't pay that much for ours though. They are, after all, fairly old, but extremely accurate.

HP is very big on instrumentation. Just ask any LARGE corporation, or of course, the military.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Yes I have heard of HP thank you!

Reply to
i field

No, HP makes computers and accessories. They spun off their test equipment division into Agilent on Nov. 18, 1999. Once again you give us even more evidence that you're clueless.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not to mention also the futility of using a bridge to measure ESR! - My first attempt at building an ESR meter was based on the measuring bridge principle, although it sort of worked, in many ways it was a disaster! The basic idea of operation is to use such a high test frequency that Xc is rendered insignificant - leaving the ESR as the only significant value to be measured, I chose 200kHz because I had the oscillator can ready to hand. It appeared to me at the time that the only way to get any accuracy was to use the bridge configuration to compare the on test capacitor with one having negligible ESR (a large mylar type). This meant that the 2 caps were in series across the test signal voltage - which meant a power O/P at 200 kHz, this resulted in the tester wiping out radio reception in a radius of a few

00 yards and the HF test current heating the capacitor causing the ESR to slowly reduce as the cap warmed up!

No doubt an expensive professional quality instrument can be expected to yield neater results if properly set up - but I have seen nothing so far to suggest that RLF would know how to do that!!!

Reply to
i field

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:17:43 GMT, "i field" Gave us:

Did I say that you hadn't?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:15:24 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Yes, it is named Agilent, but HP still owns most of it.

Just because they went public doesn't mean that HP doesn't have most of it.

Once again, you are a fucktard. I have been using Agilent equipment for years as well, you f****ng retard. Just because I didn't mention them doesn't mean I wasn't aware of it, dipshit.

Once again, you show us how truly retarded you are for making the supposition to begin with.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:50:13 GMT, "i field" Gave us:

It HAS the capacity to do so, you f****ng retard.

You are a f****ng disaster.

Hence the device's capacity to measure it up to 200kHz.

Oh boy!

That's due to the fact that you only have two functioning brain cells, asswipe.

Also, check out nearly ANY EL cap maker's web site. Their own test procedures utilize 120Hz. I'll bet that you don't even know why, because your "Xc rendered insignificant" remark proves that you don't know all of the particulars involved.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

There you go trying to use foul language to cover your ignorance. Of course, no one here expects anything more out of your small mind. Its sad, really, that the asylum lets you near a computer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:50:45 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

You missed your calling. That of a failed comedian... Oh wait! That's right. You have succeeded here!

Funny how all you stupid Bat's Turds claim to have filtered me, yet still dangle in like Pinocchio, every time you think *I* missed something.

I have been reading EE Times for over two decades, and I own a good deal of HP stock, so I think you are full of shit telling me that I didn't know about Agilent. In fact, just as I earlier stated... You're a goddamned idiot.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

[snip]
[snip]

Bwahahahaha! ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I never said I was going to kill file you, I simply stated that you were no longer entertaining. Your lack of comprehension is underwhelming.

Filling in the schematics with broken, half chewed crayons isn't the same as actually reading the text, and even you should know that hand drawn HP stock certificates don't prove anything.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida