OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

Latest...

Response to check disk:

"UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP"

Whatzat?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Roy,

In a previous posting you mentioned a way to prevent automatic reboot.

But I can't find that message.

Can you repost?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

What's with the quote marks, don't you know how to write? It's allot easier writing a million lines of assembler than a million lines of COBOL or C. Why is that so hard for you to believe? About 10 years ago, another guy and myself wrote about two hundred thousand lines of code just for one new system. The zipped up source took something like

7 MB.

You just don't have clue.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Jim,

In Win2K it was in the Advanced tab of the System Properties window. You got to it by selecting properties for My Computer from the desktop or file Explore. Click the Startup and Recovery button, and you could set the options for what to do on a system failure (write event to system log, send administrate alert and/or automtaically reboot). You need to have administrative rights to set these options.

I haven't gone looking for it in WinXP, but it should be in there somewhere.

--
James T. White
Reply to

It's better than paying for TIVO.

Tell me how being able to stick an extra CPU in makes you more qualified than anyone else that can put screws in and plug together connectors?

I haven't seen you mentioning any of your inventions.

No, but I did do it all myself.

I take it you don't even know what a PIC is.

something

Here we go again, you don't even know something this basic. PCs do not use a constant amount of power. The harder you work them, the more they use.

in

You started him up, what a joke. Exactly how did you "start him up"?

I guess that's a no then.

No, I can _write_ in a "few" languages.

It doesn't work a bit better than my mods, but it is supported now. You can't even code, and yet you've got the nerve to belittle my abilities. You really are a piece of work.

Cakewalk stuff that any juvenile can do. Here's one for you. I removed JAVA from a DALLAS TINI and wrote my own bootloader so that I could run my own apps. I also wrote code to drive the onboard SMC ethernet chip including part of a TCP/IP stack. When you do something significant (that no-one else has done a million times over) then come bragging to me.

I also did my own loader for an 8052 SBC that was only supported by windos.

Reverse engineering is my "game".

newer

done.

EISA,

several

You didn't build any burroughs mainframes. You might have used some base-level machines when you were in the military, but that's about it.

is

No, I can make MythTV work. IMO, that says allot considering the coding is a disaster. I can't fix it because I don't do C++.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I don't know about Roy, but I told you how to do it. To reiterate:

1) click the "Start" button 2) right click on "My Computer" 3) select properties 4) click the "Advanced" tab of the "System Properties" window that should now be open 5) click on the settings button for the "Startup and Recovery" section 6) uncheck the "Automatically restart" box in the "System Failure" section

Now he can rejoice in the fact that he will again see the ominous blue screen the next time that windos croaks. This could tell us something useful (maybe).

Now when the stop error occurs, we will find out what module is puking. Did you look in the system event log for clues?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Can I have some ketchup to go with that, lard boy??

Nobody in the whole world cares about your opinion - and you, lacking the facilities to understand why that might be, you recently took to sharing your charming personality all over nooz instead. Well, in case you wonder why your recent 1400++ posts mostly got ignored: nobody cares *here* either.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Anthony,

Why do you keep plugging nickels in this sick dudes slot? He is a troll, and has been spewing his hate and ugliness to this group for years now.

Give yourself back your dignity, and ignore him.

-Chuck Harris

Anth>

Reply to
Chuck Harris

On-screen message is...

"UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP"

Which "log" file (and location) should I look at for details?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Thanks Chuck, I tend to get carried away "sometimes". ;-) I'm no expert on electronics, nor many other things, but I certainly know a thing or three about computers. It just gets my goat when someone like DM starts pushing the "glorified pc tech" button. Sorry for fiasco everyone.

Now back to tinkering with my tick-tock device. ;-) It's really evolving into something useful now. Now that the circuitry is pretty well established, I'm just about ready to solder it up into a full prototype w/case.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

1) click start -> control panel 2) double click on Administrative Tools icon 3) double click on the Event Viewer shortcut

This will let you see if you're getting any helpful system error messages.

See if this tells you anything useful:

MS claims that it's likely a hardware fault, don't bet your life on it though since you can easily see that software can generate most of these conditions. Since you ran memtest and it didn't find anything, I'd still be looking for heat problems and/or the power supply. Another thing, are there any bulging/leaking caps on the motherboard? Look closely at the ones near the memory sockets and around the CPU. Did you change anything recently?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was:

0x0000007f (0x0000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\\WINNT\\Minidump\\Mini031306-13.dmp.

The dmp file is binary. How is that viewed?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

What is your feeling/recommendation on using the "repair" option on the Win2K install disk?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:26:20 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It was ANTONY that said it,and you should. Maybe the only correct thing he has said in the thread.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:48:42 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

What? About how much of a turd you are? Sure I do!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:12:06 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

It's X2, dipshit. They are stacked and in a single package.

I thought you were up on all this "stuff". Hahahahahaa!

What makes you more qualified than a freshly laid turd? NOTHING! Bwuahahahahaha!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:29:54 +0100, "Frithiof Andreas Jensen" Gave us:

Hahahaha... do you actually think that I subscribe to all the groups that the OP posted to? You're an idiot if so.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:35:35 -0500, Chuck Harris Gave us:

He can't, you top posting Usnet retard. He is too busy trying to claim how right and how smart he is.

Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:06:43 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

We sure know that, tinker boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:15:00 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Just for your information, dipshit boy. Bulging electrolytics are almost 100% of the time SHORTED, and would drag the power supply down, and fry the on board LV regulators as well.

My last PC repair WAS bulging CPU PS caps that took out the CPU, as well as the main PS, and we didn't want to go through the re-install process, so to keep the same HD and OS and installed app base, we bought the exact same MOBO on e-bay new for less than $50. He bought one of my old CPUs, we got a $15 PS, and I put it all back together, and it runs fine now.

The lesson learned was to keep the CPU heatsink tines clean as THAT is what caused the CPU to overheat, fail, and overtax the on board CPU power supply, blowing the regulators as well as the caps.

If a MOBO has bad electrolytics on it, it is NOT likely that the system would be running at all, dufus.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs