OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

Roy, You really have reached the tiresome point. PLONK!

...Jim Thompson

The Knoppix CD locked up after giving an opening message and saying GPF.

...Jim Thompson

It's hardware related then. Try swapping out the mobo and see what happens.

Did you apply silver thermal paste on the cpu?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Leave it to "Billy"....

I backed up the hard-drive, then decided to give the "repair" option a shot. It reported corrupted, unable to repair.

I can still read the files via the directory tree so I guess the boot sector is hosed.

I guess it's buy-new time :-(

...Jim Thompson

disk

That's a pretty reliable indication that you have a hardware problem. Try removing individual memory sticks. You already subbed the supply, so that should be that on the power questions. You're sure that all heat sinks are in good contact, but the grease can dry up and become a problem as someone else already said. But you should have a feeling if it's heat related or not by now. Really look at the caps one last time to make sure none of the tops are bulging. Either way on that, you're getting pretty close to scrap it territory if it's not the memory. :-(

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:29:15 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Points at memory then. Could also be MOBO or CPU.

This is assuming that the disc burned correctly.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:38:27 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

If you have backed it up, reformat it and reload the OS. If the problem persists, it points to hardware. If it goes away, it points toward the OS,and or a virus, as was mentioned by one poster.

If you are so ready to run out and replace the whole PC, then why did you waste so much time trying to fix it at all? (ours as well as yours). Doh!

If you aren't piecing one together by hand, and are looking at the name brands, HP has gotten past all their old "Packard Bell" like anomalies, and has really put out some REALL good sub $600 machines that have dual layer DVD burners, and nice SATA HDs in them.

Couldn't ask for much more and they are currently giving 20% off on online buys. IIRC Circuit City carriers them too, so you can likely browse their selection online as well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:07:57 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Hahaha... you were talking about spending time "repairing" not many posts ago. So, you copy folks' remarks as well, eh?

Bwuahahahahaha...

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:27:16 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Yeah... you have said that before. Still, you even posted and read my posts after this one!

You must be pissed and blaming me because your Knoppix didn't boot. Wow... You gotz issues.

Filter file edit announcements are pretty retarded. Especially when you don't actually do it.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

low

at

hasn't

I don't think anyone said that it did. The high impedance comes later.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The boards work fine, no complaints. What part of "no problems" don't you understand?

Try capitalizing English from now on then.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

later.

As in open not shorted.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

It IS A TOY, if you can't do the same job with simpler equipment. You don't know shit about the failure mode of electrolytic capacitors, and need the crutch of a bench full of toys to do what any good tech can do for under $100. It speaks volumes about your inability to ANY job without lots of TOYS.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

supply,

if

time

you're

:-(

Getting pretty close, is that a definitive statement? I originally thought he had an XP box, now that I know different (IOW the machine is allot older than I thought) that changes things. Rest assured that anything that I say is in no way influenced by anything that you might say. As for using Linux to test, running kernel compiles is the only dependable way to test out the hardware.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

More like you are deluded, if you think that you know enough to teach ANYTHING to ANYONE.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

104 degree? What a LUSER!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like your disk drive is hosed. You can buy another one for $50 and put it in yourself. The jumpers should be set properly, so the new one is master, and the old one is slave. Install a fresh copy of 2000, copy your files over, and you are done.

Drives tend to fail if you don't have enough (annoying, loud) fans in the case. The bearings go, probably due to the heat. Eventually, it just won't spin up, and will click when it tries to start. Usually, you can tell by looking at the system log, which should start showing errors.

Many manufacturers have diagnostic disks you can download that will run SMART tests on the drive. BIOS often has a SMART setting, and if you enable it, you can just check the health of the disk using the manufacturer's application to view the statistics. Many drives have 3 year warranties, so your drive may actually be under warranty. If so, they may just ship you another one (assuming it fails their diagnostic program's tests).

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of
value.
    Albert Einstein
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Or just upload it here:

Sample output: file name: aint-dead-yet mime type:

0000-0010: 53 6f 2c 20-49 27 6d 20-73 69 74 74-69 6e 67 20 So,.I'm. sitting. 0000-0020: 68 65 72 65-2c 20 65 6e-6a 6f 79 69-6e 67 20 74 here,.en joying.t 0000-0030: 68 65 20 65-75 70 68 6f-72 69 61 20-6f 66 20 74 he.eupho ria.of.t 0000-0040: 68 65 0a 73-79 6e 65 72-67 79 20 6f-66 20 61 6c he.syner gy.of.al 0000-0050: 63 6f 68 6f-6c 20 61 6e-64 20 6d 2a-72 2a 6a 2a cohol.an d.m*r*j* 0000-0060: 2a 6e 2a 2c-20 61 6e 64-20 63 6f 6e-74 65 6d 70 *n*,.and ...

.contemp Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

company

tml

I'm sure that's what Gigabyte and Dell thought too. I believe that Nichicon should be capitalized as well.

Do you have any evidence to back that statement up?

These boards were using the slightly more available 105C caps.

Funny how that doesn't change the facts, huh?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Since I swapped out the supply, with no positive results, do you have any test methods to validate that PSU before I expose a new mother-board to it?

I have a little time to play around, the failed machine is my "communication" box.. web, mail, fax, usenet, office support, duplicated in my laptop which I'm posting from.

...Jim Thompson