OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

Anyone seen a problem like this before...

OCCASIONALLY, downloading a large file, I get a reboot very much like a power failure (based on what the WinFax log restoration says).

Doesn't happen on any regular thing I can tie it to... sometimes just clicking on a newsgroup thread does it :-(

I called the PC Club where I bought it and the tech there said it could be almost anything... he'd suspect RAM before the power supply.

Ideas??

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Its most likely PSU related, since I gather you have Antivirus installed.

I would try reseating the DIMM module for the RAM. As well as the Processor and the ATX power supply connections.

Also if you have the ATA style HD, I would check the seating of the connectors there too, Some of the older ATA connectors would loosen up over time and corrupt the disk.

You might also want to visit some the mfg forums of the mother board to see if its an inherent problem. Some early AGP boards had power problems with the Gforce cards. Turning off graphics acceleration may point to that problem.

Good luck.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Riddle

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:04:32 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Sounds like the volume you are DLing it to is full, or it could be corrupted ie over-fragmented, or the crashes has caused a corruption that you have to address before continuing to use the machine.

Another reason could be the volume your SWAP space is on is full or corrupted.

Run a disk doctor or MS' Scandisk on you volumes.

Your swap file size may be set too small as well. While DLing, a machine can actually use up three or four times the size of the file. Blame that on Bill Gate's wondrous handling routines and the fact that he NEVER uses real RAM (a little yes).

Your newsreader will puke if their is a corruption in the database file or on the volume the client is running in.

Those are the same guys that used to say "you have to re-install Windows"

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I had this exact problem before with my PC. Originally I thought it was a power supply problem since my PC reboots at random times regardless of what I do. Well.. actually "originally" I thought it was a virus, but after eliminating that possibility I started to suspect the power supply. So I bought a new power supply. But that didn't solve the problem. Then I figured that the constant sudden rebooting must have fried some part of my motherboard somehow and now the power management circuits are randomly sending the reboot signal to the PSU. So there was nothing I could do but buy a new motherboard.

This gave me the excuse to upgrade my CPU as well ;-) As usual, I decided to re-use my old casing and simply swap out the old motherboard. Well, after installing my new motherboard I wanted to see if there is anything I can salvage from my old motherboard. I also wanted to hang the (rather good looking) motherboard on the wall. So I started removing stuff from it. The first most obvious thing to remove was of course the very large heatsink. It was at this point that I realised that the bit of plastic holding down the heatsink was slightly cracked. In fact, the heatsink was barely touching the CPU. What have been happening all along was that my old CPU was simply overheating, causing random reboots. So, before you go down my path and end up upgrading your PC (though upgrading one's PC is actually nice) I'd suggest you check your heatsink. And take a close look - remove it from the CPU and install it again to see if there's anything wrong. In my case a simple visual inspection was not enough.

Reply to
slebetman

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:01:30 GMT, "Martin Riddle" Gave us:

message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

the ATX power supply connections.

there too, Some of the older ATA connectors would

its an inherent problem. Some early AGP boards had

point to that problem.

Dude, are you posting to Usnet through a web based reader?

The max line length in Usenet is like 72 - 74 characters, not all the way across the page.

Some news servers won't even handle overshot lines.

Notice how nearly ALL proper posts do NOT run off the page like yours do. Then comply.

Just so you know, Outhouse Express is the WORST news client in the world as it relates to actually following Usnet posting protocols and conventions.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Happens to me, too. Usually indicates that it's time for me to vacuum out the cat hair from the PC intake vents... ;-)

One thing that you might try is running Memtest-86. Just let it go overnight and see if you get any hits. A negative result is at least a data point.

for the (somewhat dated) original and
for the most recent release.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Some additional info. I found this data in the BIOS...

CPU Temperature = 41°C

System Temperature 1 = 55°C

"Rich Webb"

Probably the best advice posted so far. Certainly allot better than that nonsense that darkmatter spewed out. He's probably getting the windows XP blue screen of death which causes the machine to restart automatically. He needs to first find out the cause of the blue screen by:

1) click the "Start" button 2) right click on "My Computer" 3) select properties 4) click the "Advanced" tab of the "System Properties" window that should now be open 5) click on the settings button for the "Startup and Recovery" section 6) uncheck the "Automatically restart" box in the "System Failure" section

Now he can rejoice in the fact that he will again see the ominous blue screen the next time that windos croaks. This could tell us something useful (maybe).

Another place to look for clues is in the system log via the "Event Viewer" program which is located in the "Administrative Tools" portion of Control Panel. Unfortunately this OS is a complete train wreck and it's only about 50% likely that any of this work will lead us to the answer. :-(

Do the easy stuff first like reseating everything, cleaning the dust out, checking the fans and making sure that none of the heatsinks has leaped off and is now shorting out the $300.00 video card. Bulging and exploding caps are another source of odd computer behavior. Check for those.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The little bitty fan on your CPU stopped spinning.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:41:01 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Not even a problem. My dual athlon ran each CPU at like 71 C when I was running an intensive application.

My X2 64 bit dual AThlon now runs at a nice 40 - 60 C on the same stuff. It runs sub 40 when idle or doing not much, like in the groups here.

55C is actually too low, and the alarm for it might be causing the crash!

I set mine for 75C but have never seen them run over 62C, which is more than ten degrees cooler than the Athlon MP CPus were. I set those for 85C.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:42:15 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

You're an idiot.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

like

just

supply.

installed.

Processor and the ATX power supply connections.

connectors there too, Some of the older ATA connectors would

to see if its an inherent problem. Some early AGP boards had

acceleration may point to that problem.

Thanks, I never noticed. Line wrap was set to 132. Fixed.

CHeers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:04:45 -0500, Chuck Harris Gave us:

One big, CRAPPY family I see.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Move north?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Some chips and mobos have overtemp circuits to protect the CPU. This can look like random reboots. I'd look at this if it happens on hot days. However, the CPU is at 41C, which is NOT hot. Try SiSoft's "Sandra" to get more information. Memory test is also advisable, although practically anything, from the psu, to a pci card to can cause random reboots. Jim should do a full system backup.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Monsen

screen

Are you saying that he's not getting a blue screen crash? I'd bet money on it. Fragmented volume causing reboots, BWAAAAAAAA.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Sorry to spoil a flame war, but I'm getting a sudden BLACK screen. There is an audible click, so I'm still suspecting something with the PSU.

I ran Memtest86 all night with no failures.

I think it's the +12V section that is marginal, since Memtest probably only exercises the +5V, or +3.3V.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

ALL fans are spinning.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

But the fans typically run on +12V, and you said that you suspected the +12V rail.

Reply to
Richard Crowley