OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

The monitor will make click sounds as it has relays in it. A change of video mode, like when a system reset occurs, will make that happen. When you get the black screen is it hung, or does it just reboot? If it just reboots, then make sure you disabled the auto restart feature in control panel. You will then see the blue screen (if that's what is happening).

Memtest exercises the CPU pretty good too, so heat may not be the problem. You could be onto something with the power supply. They cause more problems than they usually get credit for. They usually start smelling when they're failing though, but that's because many PSU failures are from dead fans and the subsequent overheating that causes.

Did you disable the automatic restart thingy?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

My suspicion is a dip-low causing a reset.

I may just toss the somebitch ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Toss it my way if you please. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I don't think Memtest can find anything significant. I have run it over night on known bad simms, and it says they are good (but a swapout test says they aren't!)

Memtest only exercises the memory and any part that is necessary to access memory.

The usual PC switcher has the main PWM loop regulating the +5V section, and the 12V section is analog regulated.

I would still suspect a bad memory Simm over a bad power supply. Consider that most PC's are now using memory that is neither ECC, nor parity checked. single bit memory failures happen all the time, and unless they corrupt a critical instruction that crashes your system, you never will know about it.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Check your power strip...

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

    Albert Einstein
Reply to
Bob Monsen

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:31:23 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

I never said ANYTHING about what he is or is not "getting", dipshit.

Good for you, fucktard.

You're an idiot. An inexperienced one at that. Billy likes his swap files to be contiguous.

Hurry up and go look that word up now, boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:34:26 -0500, Chuck Harris Gave us:

In the AT days, yes, but not anymore.

Most of ours were 380 to 400 volt rails from which all the other supplies drew. Then each supply was individually regulated and filtered for the power level declared. Go any higher than that (on any one) and the ripple goes through the roof on all outputs.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:34:26 -0500, Chuck Harris Gave us:

I would still be sure to run scandisk or other disk doctor on the volumes on the drive. It is both power supply and memory intensive.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

It wouldn't do any good, you still wouldn't understand. I started getting paid to program mainframes in 1980, and I was tinkering with micros several years before that. I have my own gig now, and as it so happens, I get to fix allot of PCs. How about you Mr. Experience, exactly how many scores of computers do you work on in a year?

Chances are probably better than 90% that it's windows croaking and has nothing to do with the hardware. In the event that it is the hardware, it's most likely to be one of four things:

1) heat related (often the cause of reboots) 2) memory (usually indicated by lockups) 3) ps (rebooting and freezing about 50/50) 4) motherboard caps (freakish behavior, reboots/freezes)

If it's a Dell, it's very likely that the caps in the power supply are bulging/leaking. Since he hasn't responded to any of my questions, it's impossible for me to make an educated guess.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:40:17 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Whoopie f***in' doo, boy. Utterly meaningless in this thread.

Oh boy. See above.

Figures. A PC tech that thinks he is the know all end all.

I have administered enough networks at enough companies, and enough engineering departments to know that your reply to the OP which involved derogatory CRAP spewed about me puts you squarely in the unprofessional twit bin.

Windows croaks on corrupt drives, The entire OS depends on swap file function, dipshit.

The reboots only occur during a download of a file. Did you not read the OP?

Memory works fine in normal use. Why is a download suddenly so memory intensive? Why? It Isn't, that's why.

DURING a DOWNLOAD. Learn to read, then learn to properly discern what you read, dipshit.

You're an abject idiot.

Not unlike your feeble brain.

Even then, I have serious doubts.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

swap

Listen to the line tech that builds power supplies. PKB, I can do a bit more than your average "pc tech". I've been building Linux servers since '95, and even hacked a few kernel modules to do what I wanted. How much OS level code have you written in your life?

I've dealt with you enough times in the past to not be fooled by your nym shifting nor your feeble and short-lived attempts at being civil.

has

That, and only about a million other things. You're just another one of those know it all pc lusers that reads a couple of rags, solves some trivial problem and then thinks they're qualified to work on their own (and unfortunately for me) other peoples stuff. I know, because I've cleaned up after guys like you a thousand times over.

Actually they are in case you haven't noticed. Windos likes to use up all the ram for disk cache when it's not being used by anything else.

are

Like I said before, it's probably a software problem.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:21:47 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Wrong.

Engineer that designs them.

Lame... Wussified even.

Coffee breaks and cigarettes?

Good for you, wuss. What prompted you to mouth off at me when responding to someone else? Are you so wussified that you couldn't address me directly? Answer: YES!

Oh BOY! Whoopie f***in' doo.

I have been into more than one kernel EDIT. That, BTW, is the extent of what you did. Don't toot your own horn with petty crap, boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:21:47 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

You're an idiot. The OP clearly stated that the crash occurs during a file DL.

Get a clue, asswipe.

Gang boy "leet" lingo does absolutely nothing for your case, dipshit.

Stuff? You're a f****ng retard. More than as it relates to PCs too, f*****ad.

Since you do not know a goddamned thing about me, you have spewed yet another 100% unqualified remark. Congratulations, asswipe. You just made colonel in the dipshit brigade.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:21:47 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Yet another retarded remark. Windows USES disk cache ALWAYS and NEVER uses all the RAM up... EVER!

It is, in fact, notorious for exactly that.

Get off the leet gang boy lingo and speak english, dipshit.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:21:47 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

You're an idiot. NOTHING you have stated has any qualification. Nothing you post has ever had much credence.

It MIGHT be an OS (that's not software, dufus) problem, and it might be a hardware issue.

Either way, you are so far off base, you'll never get it right. You are one of those PC techs that got promoted beyond you level of competency. It takes you three days to fix what others diagnose and repair in a single day or less.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Exactly what degree do you have again???

Don't smoke.

You obviously scare the hell out of me. (that's sarcasm just in case you're that dense)

So now you think you know my coding capabilities? Get a grip dufus. I was a low-level software guy for a long time. After I watched my good friend keel over and die in front of me, I decided to rethink some things. Now I make an ok living and have lots of time to spend with my

21 month old daughter (yes I started late, but so what). I probably won't get rich, but I'm gonna live instead. You have no idea what my abilities are as far as computers go. Electronics is my hobby, software is what I know.
Reply to
Anthony Fremont

up

Yes you just made one. The disk cache is in RAM (outside that puny few MB in the drive). BTW, I didn't mean _all_ in the absolute literal sense of every last byte. Try not to jump to extreme conclusions on everything you read.

windos is leet? since when?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Go ahead and dredge up a list of links for us. Just think of the list you'd have against you if you didn't change your nym so much, and hadn't used the x-no-archive flag in the past.

So you're saying that the OS is not software? Man you are pig-ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

I never got promoted as a pc tech by anyone. I only started doing tech work when I left the high-stress coding world. It's easy, it's a low overhead way to start a business, and it's better exercise than sitting at a desk.

Too funny. Why would you even pretend to know anything about my computer skill level?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:26:48 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

Electrical Engineering

Now FOAD

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:26:48 GMT, "Anthony Fremont" Gave us:

That and jack jawed bullshit peanut gallery remarks.

Do I need to write that in assembler so you'll be able to get the drift?

FOAD, boy.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs