OT: Intermittent PC Rebooting Problem

out

light

Oh yes you did, I think plenty of people remember it too.

current?

Yes you did, and that's precisely what started it all between us.

an

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Stop quoting me out of context moron. I suppose it's the only strength you have though.

You don't offer one technical argument to back up anything you say, and yet you wonder why people keep kill-filing you. All you do is hurl verbal abuse, it's really not very convincing you know. If you'd learn to carry on a civil debate, then you might have some redeeming value. I suspect that you won't change though.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

that.

Yet another convincing technical display of aptitude, NOT! So far you haven't presented any technical case against anything that I've said, why is that? If I'm so ignorant about so many things, it should be a piece of cake for you to come up with as little as one link to prove it.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

CPU

today,

I'm not talking about throttling. Different instructions cause different numbers of gates to switch, consequently different instruction dissipate different amounts of power. The HLT instruction stops the processor during the periods that the CPU has nothing better to do. Any decent OS issues them during the 99% of the time that the CPU doesn't have anything to do. Protein folding, SETI, screen-savers and other CPU intensive tasks consume all available CPU, therefore no HLT instructions are executed and consequently massive heat dissipation follows.

Now rather than make some childish remarks, show us some technical flaw in my argument backed up by a link.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

No you can't do that. You will always be easy to spot. Don't think we haven't noticed that you've been trying to use "big words" to cover up your shortcomings. But in the end it's nothing but the "retard", "shit" and "baby" nonsense shining thru. Do you really think that you can hide all that behind a different nym?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont
[snip]

It did.

Pulling it apart I found toasted tracks under the memory slots. The failure also screwed the boot sector of the HD, but it's still readable as a slave.

No, I did not. Use the envelope icon on my home page. Discard any other E-mail addresses that you may have for me... they've been neutered due to excessive spam collection.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I have been able to repair this problem with the command "fdisk /mbr" at the C: prompt on a number of drives. They wouldn't boot becasue the boot sector was damaged by a worm. Both Norton and McAfee said the drives had to be reformatted to fix the boot sector, but I used the command at the C: prompt after booting from a floppy and repaired all but one drive that reported bad media for that sector. I copied the drives first, just to be safe, but I never had a problem with that command.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi Michael, I'll file your suggestion away for "next time" ;-) I already have everything moved to the new drive.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

that's an unusual failure, if the sector was unreadable you wouldn't be ablle to read the drive (in a normal way) sounds like just data corruption that can be fixed with "fdisk /mbr" or "sys" depending on wether it's the master boot record or boot sector.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

[snip]

Where are my bookmarks, passwords and other personal information saved?

Where are my bookmarks, passwords and other personal information saved? Firefox stores your personal settings, such as the bookmarks, cache and web form data, in a profile folder. See the next frequently asked question for more information on how to manage the profiles.

How do I start the Profile Manager? The Profile Manager is used to manage multiple profiles. To start the Profile Manager, follow the steps in the Manage Profiles How-To.

How do I move my profile or restore a backed up copy?

It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Firefox to use that as your profile. Read about moving an existing profile or restore a backed up profile for detailed instructions.

Move an existing profile or restore a backed up profile It's possible to move the location of a profile folder. This could be useful if you have a backed up profile folder somewhere on your hard drive and want to tell Firefox to use that as your profile. This section explains how to do this.

1.. Shut down Firefox completely (File > Exit). 2.. Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on Windows, move the profile from C:\\Documents and Settings\\[username]\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\Profiles\\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\\Stuff\\MyProfile. If you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the current location of the profile you want to restore. 3.. Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the application data folder for Firefox: a.. On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\ b.. On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\\WINDOWS\\Application Data\\Mozilla\\Firefox\\ c.. On Linux, the path is ~/.mozilla/firefox/ d.. On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/ 4.. In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved. Change the Path= line to the new location. 5.. Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0. 6.. Save profiles.ini and restart Firefox. Robert
Reply to
Robert

[snip]
[snip]
[snip]

Robert, Thanks!!

Posted same question on Firefox group... no answer yet.

But I surely feel dumb right now.....

@#$%^&*! XP comes up default-configured as DON'T SHOW hidden files/folders... so when I plugged in the old drive I couldn't find those files.

Over the past few days I have fixed all those XP foibles, so your posting provoked me to look again.

Again, THANKS!