OT: Ghostscript, won't install

Why would I spend half a month's income to use a 12 year old, $29 scanner?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

works with

several

ditched

else

drive.

life

I have the version that works with the scanner I use.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was merely pointing out that they can still be purchased. Of course that won't make sense just to be able to run an old $29 scanner. Then you need to obtain an old computer at little or no cost.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Well, then it seems you'll need to keep using an older OS there.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Foxit is free.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That was why I keep a working win ME computer around. I have dozens of early USB scanners that work with it, and can network to the system. I talked to an old freind in N. California a few days ago and he asked if I knew how to scan out of print service manuals and convert them to PDF for him.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dozens? You are probably not married. My wife would have a hissy fit if I kept that many ;-)

If they are book-bound that's a pain in the neck job. If loose sheets I just put the stack on my sheet feeder. Although it won't do double sided, I'd have to re-sort that later.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No doubt that they are bound. Some are 60 years old.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's about the time they tend to become undone again ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

need

You have to be careful, because some are starting to crumble.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

need

The worst are books where the paper was cheapo stuff with high sulfuric remnants in there. 10 years ago it was ok and now you open it and the pages crumble like thin starch wafers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I am going to ask if they can photocopy the pages before shipping them to me. On trick I learned is to scan schematics at a 15 to 45 degree angle and use PaperPort to straighten the scan. That way the lines are cleaner than trying to get the pager perfectly straight on the first try.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well how about that.

Reply to
JosephKK

He uses pictures of 'dimmie' for wallpaper?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

tube.

The difference is that they're washed *out*.

Reply to
krw

tube.

lobbying

at

Then he needs to recalibrate them, or move them so the room lighting doesn't affect the images.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

flatscreen

tube.

lobbying

amazed at

get

Done that. They're old and tired.

Reply to
krw

What size are they? I think I have several 21" they still look good. They're too big for my the computer desk in my bedroom, and it will be a while before I finish making a larger bedroom handicap accessible. I would give them to someone who appreciates a decent monitor. Right now I'm using a 19" Proview LCD monitor that will need a new set of CCFL tubes before long. I have the brightness all the way down, and it has a pink vertical band for the first few minutes when it's turned on, but it fits on the desk. :(

One thing to consider: There is a small electrolytic across the filament. If they are failing, the filament voltage drops a little, making the CRT appear to be bad. If they open completely, you'll see shading across the screen, but before that, it just gives a poor image.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

21s, I think. I don't use them so don't pay much attention. He uses them at 1600x1200, so it's gotta be something like 21".

Could be. I'll suggest it if he's interested.

Reply to
krw