OT: Ghostscript, won't install

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

So why do you stick with the buggiest / flakeist version? Even v.9 is more stable. Try a rollback to v.7. See the oldversion website.

Reply to
JosephKK

I currently use acroread 9.3, but acroread 7.1 in wine. I will probably try PDF Xchange in wine but many of the winders alternatives do not run well in wine.

Reply to
JosephKK

I prefer my 24 inch 1920 x 1200 widescreen. Just starting to use the new 26 inch 1920 x 1200. Still jonesing for a 30 inch 2560 x 1680.

Reply to
JosephKK

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

works with

several

ditched

else

you

It looks perfectly sharp to me, up to 6400% (max magnification), anyway. I don't have AcrobatReader to compare.

Reply to
krw

up.

the

If I wanted to do that a $200 TV is good enough.

It would have to be *way* too far away for that. They don't make even TVs that big. ;-)

I only have one master so everything is thrown together. All the schematics are in one notebook, even. Handy when I run out to the manufacturing floor or when the (new) boss asks a stupid question. ;-)

Cute. I check my luggage for bombs. ;-)

I don't sit for hours. No one over 50 sits in one place for hours, particularly when slurping down pots of coffee (decafe). ;-)

I have one down the hall...

Reply to
krw

(including

Nope. Tango-Schematic for DOS 1.3 beat it handily, mine is still running. I got an insane deal, $149 (normally $1450+). If LTSpice were within ICBM range for an equivalent symbol library editor and could couple to a PWB layout program it could take over the EEDA world. For general use CAD MicroStation beats all others including Autocad.

An advantage for being reasonably multi-lingual, earned.

For all but the most difficult document work it was already overkill.

Actuaslly the problem was finding the package, ISSpice and ICAP for Mac was available. Nice package now and the device libraries are astoninshing. Real spice and a really good schematic editor back then (~1981). Would have set you back about $1500 back then, only about $4K now.

Agreed. And they (or just Jobs?) still don't really get it.

Reply to
JosephKK

You should really update always to the latest Acrobat Reader, if you use this program (the auto-update feature of the version 9 programs does this for you). Your version has some known security holes:

And then in Edit->Preferences in the JavaScript category disable JavaScript for security reasons (I don't know any PDF documents with useful embedded JavaScript) and in the Internet category disable "Display PDF In Browser". The second option was important for me, because with this setting the Reader didn't crash or hang any more on my PC.

Now I have Adobe Acrobat, not the Reader, maybe this program is a bit more stable, but I guess the Reader part is the same code, so the setting is still important, and it really helps for websites with silly HTML layouts, like alldatasheet.com.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

PHUT and mouth disease?

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

works with

several

ditched

else

you

That's what I am saying all the time, Adobe did a better job WRT clarity of rendered lettering. WRT to operational stability, not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Sans copmarison "sharp" is relative :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

with

several

Sure I can.

Again, it doesn't have to be free. But it does have to not crash.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

EndoSonics

V7 did the same thing. So did the version before. A decade ago was sorta ok. Every single time I and others had these issues word was "the next version is better". And it wasn't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It still crashes for me after doing that. Just not as often.

If a company can't get the freebie version of its SW stable my faith in the full version sort of erodes a bit ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

for

I have enough RAM. Overflow only occurs omn super-fat simulation runs, the software handles it nicely, and it quieltly runs in the background.

I don't want to load yet another software. I know that my puter is stable because all other software runs perfectly. Also, I experience the same crashes on other computers. So do other people.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

wrote in

designer/troubleshooter for

I have gigabytes of RAM. Until a few years ago I ran NT4 in 64MB. Guess what? It worked just fine :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Single pixel transitions at maximum magnification is "sharp" by any definition.

Reply to
krw

up.

you're

visible

monitor

the

But then you need the space for two monitors.

We can esily buy 50-inchers out here :-)

chair

I always check mine for that card, and some chocolate bonbons she may have put in there :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

(including

they

I've tried Tango back then. Liked Orcad better but only the DOS versions.

I doubt that will ever happen. One reason is that it does not have scripting capabilities. It is an excellent simulator but not CAD.

I have DesignCAD 3D for that but haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities. All I bought it for was to be able to read and annotate AutoCad files. Cost me a whopping $10 because I bought a version two releases back. I find the learning curve on mech CAD system to be rather steep, got no time for it right now. Once I semi-retire, then ...

Yes, it was. I mainly bought it because of its well-oiled HPGL import capability. That way I could create module spec that looked like they were out of a highfalutin engineering book. Many times a boss at a client called me in and asked how I dunnit.

You could run SPICE on a Mac but what good does that do if some of the other software wouldn't run? The PC always ran everything I needed.

Well, he found his niche, producing quite proprietary gadgets that are widly successful because people fall for them time and again. For reasons that completely elude me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

I have 52" rear-projection set that is almost 17 years old. Still produces a nice picture. ...Jim Thompson