OT: Ghostscript, won't install

gs(or in your case gswin32) -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -r600

-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -sOutputFile=whatever.pdf filename.ps

Will generate a PDF from the PS.

I prefer command line operation to GSView for anything other than just displaying.

You can generate PS from PDF, split pages out of PDFs, generate bitmaps and all sorts. Take a look at the options in the "File-Convert" menu of GSView.

I once added a bookmark tree and links to a PDF copy of the NASA Apollo 13 Cortwright Report by splitting the PDF into individual PS pages, manually adding pdfmarks with a text editor, then re-distilling the PS pages into a single PDF. The original was scanned typescript, hence bitmaps, so it was, and is, huge. All done with ghostscript. No Acrobat distiller here.

RTFM (HTML bundled with the ghostscript package) There are so many options, versatility is tremendous. It's a bit of a learning curve.

Don't expect a binary distribution to have been compiled with all the optional devices and drivers. The one I use was compiled on this system, with the drivers that *I* wanted. It forms the core of the print system.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Trying to be Joerg-ean cheap can cost you more in hours diddling around than in direct cost...

I bought the GSview 3.6 and AFPL Ghostscript 6.50 CD back in January

2001 for AUD 70.00. What was that back then... ~US$45 ??

Had to do it because I got a big Atmel contract and their documentation was in large sheet PS. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

[snip]

I suddenly remembered the trick... you need to install a PostScript printer driver FIRST. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Well, it worked without. This whole Postscript business is something I had hoped had gone the way of the dinosaurs. Unfortunately not everywhere :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It didn't matter, you can install Ghostscript first. In fact, that's how it was explained. Worked after downloading several times.

I certainly won't generate PS files. That format is IMHO the pits. Almost nothing can read it anymore these days. HPGL was so much better for schematics.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Isn't HPGL device-specific? I certainly wouldn't distribute schematics in that format. Can't be netlisted for one. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Maybe you need rejuvenation...

;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

It wasn't. I could easily import that into MS-Word for example. That's how I did all my module specs in the 90's. They didn't look much different than today's except that the underlying schametics were imported as HPGL instead of PNG and the images as bitmaps.

Netlist? It is not common to generated a netlist from any graphics or printing format. That's done at the CAD level.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, only my chainsaw might need that. It got a good workout this morning. I am surprised that the old Remington is still hanging on after all those years. I sharpened the chain so often that it's a bit thinned down but I think it'll do another winter.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, to be honest, I hope that when this job is complete by the end of the year I can say good-bye to Postscript for good :-)

Although, I thought that 20 years ago and while it hasn't reared its ugly head now it did.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I _have_ those.

I do the same thing. It's ok if SW costs some money, got plenty of licenses here. But then I expect it to be reasonably priced _and_ work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have GSView 4.3 and GNU ghostscript 7.05, all compiled from source. I had various earlier versions before that, going back to 1997.

GNU releases lag one behind AFPL.

GSView compiled for linux doesn't need registration to get rid of the nag message. The author admits to not being a skilled X11 programmer, but he did quite a creditable job.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Obviously I design chips for a living... my CAD entry IS a schematic capture program, that generates a layout-compatible netlist. That's the ONLY way to ensure error-free correlation to layout tools.

We seem to be talking different things. For _documentation_ any number of graphical formats will work... just depends on how "hickey-fied" and cheap your documentation tools are ;-)

Being a professional I can "print" from my schematic capture tool directly to just about any graphical format you'd like, PNG, GIF, BMP, JPEG, TIFF and PDF.

But that capability came at great expense... US$69 ;-)

(My usual approach is to generate hierarchically navigable PDF's, making it much easier for customers sitting in a presentation to follow along thru a complex design.) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

I have a little battery-powered chain saw on an extension pole that I use to trim my Mesquite trees. Good up to about 3" branches. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

downloaded

That's why I was surprised you wondered about HPGL being used for netlisting. It wouldn't make sense.

Same here, except that my CAD came with nearly all possible export formats included. Plus tons of scripting options to make others.

That's the big downside of the CAD I am using, no hierarchy. But I haven't found a better one and no ten horses will drag me back to Orcad until it reaches the robustness level of SDT. Or maybe I should have said, if it ever reaches that again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

downloaded

Took about a 2nd storey 3" hardwood branch down with the Fiskars saw on the extension pole. Didn't take long (lubed it with white graphite grease). D*mn raccoons were using it to get to the roof.

Management has banned chain saws on the end of long poles as being way too scary. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

downloaded

"not a

:-)

So why are you fretting over PostScript? Use a PS printer driver. "Print" to file. Rename extension to .EPS... paste as your heart desires.

That's why I've stuck with classic PSpice Schematics (very nicely hierarchical) all these years. OrCAD can't even be creative while stealing from the best :-)

To make hierarchical PDF's requires Adobe Acrobat... I think... can any of the copycat programs also do it? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

The full version of Tracker Software's PDF reader will allow one to insert links into an existing PDF file.

Probably not as nice as having the schematic capture program automagically create a PDF with up- and down-links in the drawing package, but it's pretty quick to draw the link's bounding box, right-click for properties, and then add the action.

Actually, if Joerg is still on the line, that might be a partial remedy for his non-hierarchical schematic capture package (EAGLE?): Print all of the schematic pages to a PDF document and then just add the necessary links to move around in the hierarchy, as desired.

The free version of PDF-Xchange should allow trying out the add-link feature, although IIRC it adds an evaluation watermark to the document.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Ghostfriend hides all those commands in a easy interface. I used it to try to figureout those commands for another project. There are orientation commands that don't always work well.

Martin Riddle

Yes, and it's one of the apple 2 writer printer drivers, though the one you mentioned upthread didn't look quite right, it was something like that (could be the right one for this century :). Been a decade or more since I needed PS, there's some nice stuff in there with the processing commands.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant