GhostScript/GhostView ??

Anyone using GhostScript/GhostView?

It's been awhile since I've used it.

I can't remember the way to crop a PostScript image.

I have a schematic that is like 5 transistors in the middle of the page and would like to crop off all the excess white-space and border markings before inserting in a Word document.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Copy the image and paste it into 'Paint', then crop it, save it, then copy and paste the new image into your document.

There are tiny 'buttons' on the right side and bottom of the 'Paint' screen that you click and drag to crop each edge. You can do the left side or top by flipping the image. It is part of Windows, and only takes a couple minutes to figure out for most people.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Paint won't open PostScript files.

...Jim Thompson

My linux box has a ps2pdf utility. I'll bet it runs on windows if you have the cigwin stuff.

Hal Murray

Who uses 'Word' on *nix?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That YOU are the JERK (no reading comprehension) is well-defined....

What does a printer have to do with inserting a PostScript graphic into Word?

Not that I don't have PostScript printing capability... an hp1320 does both PCL and PS.

...Jim Thompson

"Michael A. Terrell" hath wroth:

I do. MS Word 3.0 on SCO ODT 3.2v4.2 and Word 5.1 on SCO 3.2v5.0.5. However, I do prefer vi for anything useful.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Won't UltraEdit run on *nix?

I know it can switch back and forth between *nix and DOS file formats at will.

I last used vi (what a klutz) around 20 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson hath wroth:

I have no idea. Is it this one?

If so, it appears to be Windoze only.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

DOS(CR-LF) to Unix(LF): cat DOS_file | sed 's/.$//' > Unix_file

Unix to DOS (ksh): cat Unix_file | sed "s/$/`echo -e \\\r`/" > DOS_file Unix to DOS (bash or sh): cat Unix_file | sed 's/$'"/`echo \\\r`/" > DOS_file

Most Unix/Linux mutations have pre-fab scripts to do all this.

More of the same:

I use vi (or vim) all the time on every OS I know. It's fast and efficient. No need to take my hands off the keyboard or hunt around for where the mouse, function keys, or cursor controls have moved to. I'm mostly into content, not form, so I generate my content with vi, and then use whatever is handy for formatting, illustrating, or publishing. The catch is that you have to be a good typist and have the major vi tricks memorized. Vi just doesn't work for marginal typists, mouse addicts, and practitioners of WYSIWYG. In the bad old days of early Unix, it was either ed or vi, and not much else. If you wanted to use Unix. and needed to edit config files, you had to learn vi. My only regret is that vi isn't a hex editor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jim Thompson hath wroth:

Drivel: Note that the HP 1320 and similar printers use a Postscript emulator, that converts PS to PCL6 internally. It's like having GhostScript in firmware. For all I know (not sure), it may even be GhostScript in ROM. The last HP printers with real Postscript engines were the 4MV and 6MP.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

So what's the difference, other than the "PostScript" interpreter not being "Adobe(TM) PostScript(TM)"?

Reply to
Nobody

Who said anything about Word on *nix? I use vim and openoffice on all my pcs. I'll admit I only use the vi features of vim.

Reply to
miso

Hi,

make a eps with GS/GV. There you are able to give the outline manual, if needed. You also may be able to convert the ps to ascii, if it is in binary now, then you should be able to do this via notepad, that's the way I prefer ;-) Other way is to convert the ps (with GS/GV to a editable vector format like AI or others. There I prefer emf that works well with M$Office

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

Why all this trouble? You can crop nicely right in Word, no matter what format. As long as the imported graphic shows on your screen you can crop it right there.

I am certainly not a Microsoft fan and IMHO they should not design operating systems anymore but their MS-Word is quite a good product. Very practical, useful, and it doesn't have the bloat or leave memory leaks like OpenOffice does. I have yet to find a better word processor than MS-Word, but I'm not looking for one because it works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nicely? It crops each border, manually, in inches, and you can't see what will happen until you exit the format box. If you've resized the picture, it still crops in the original dimensions! Any modern program will let you drag a crop box just where you want it.

The way Word handles images is a disgrace. Hell, the way it handles text is a disgrace!

It's a ghastly mess.

John

Ok, it's not perfect. But better than with IrfanView where you have that nasty black border because it stores it back with the cropped-away sections just blackened but not deleted.

Can't say that. It does some weird things such as like micro-crashes but those are mostly recoverable. Except when it hangs up on that dreaded normal.dot file. This sometimes requires hitting the reset button but then again that's kind of normal in a Windows environment.

I've done my docs and module specs with MS-Word since the first day of self-employment back in the late 80's. In fact, even with DOS-Word there wasn't much that I couldn't do compared to "modern" versions of it. I was always able to happily copy and paste schematic sections where it was needed to explains stuff, plus scope plots, analyzer pics etc. Heck, it even allowed a straight import of HPGL so you could include plots that came in over those garden hose cables. In the days of DOS!

The only MS program that I believe is even higher in reliability is MS-Works. That rarely ever crashes and keep my biz databases all caught up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It does not! See abse.

And if you make a donation, Irfan himself will send you a thank-you email. Bill Gates won't do that.

John

prefer

Where on abse?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

binary

prefer

like

Same thread.

John

binary

prefer

like

Hmm, went through all posts of this thread over there, didn't find any with attachments. Maybe my news server dropped a post.