OT: Ghostscript, won't install

Gents,

IC designers still seem to live in the Postscript world ... can't read those dreaded files. Client said to install Ghostscript. So I downloaded gs871w32.exe from U of Wisconsin.

No matter what I do, this here computation machine bucks and says "not a valid Win32 application". Running XP. What gives? How can I dodge this and make it install?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Make sure you have the right versions. You also need GSView which "calls" Ghostscript... I have GSView v3.5 running on XP.

IIRC, there is a specific order of installation required to make it work.

Since I can print to PS from PSpice, and Acrobat will convert PS to PDF, I rarely use it unless I run into scaling issues... like cutting E-size into multiple A-size sheets :-( ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

try >

for gsview and gostview, open gpl software.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Try Sourceforge instead.

I used Ghostfriend in the past, worked well to convert PS to PDF

Martin Riddle

Ah pardon me for directing you to the same source :) I use gsview32.exe. From their site: GSview can be obtained from

It does not seem to be free.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

That's exactly where I got it from :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

135 megabytes, shazam! The bloat from version to version looks (almost) like the budget defizit :-)

But from the text it looks like you still need Ghostscript, and that's what refuses to install.

Why couldn't society just quietly bury Postscript ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Got that already. The problem is, one must first install Ghostscript for which GSView is the GUI. Unfortunately Ghostscript is recalcitrant upon installation. I have no idea why. The Linux boxen here which functions as a file server has that problem a lot but the Windows computer never does. Or never did, until today.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I decided to update, so installed gs871w32.exe and gsv49w32.exe from that site. They work(sort of), with a nag popup.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

'Cause PS is a fabulous language... ask Don Lancaster...

...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Guys, figured it out: I had to erase and download two more times, then it stuck. It installed alright. Now I can see the files but it's nearly not as good as PDF. Did I already say that I never liked Postscript? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's the pits, IMHO. Renders lettering poorly, overwrites when the font size is wrongly interpreted. Nah, I ditched that long ago, early 90's. Now it came back, maybe as a ghost :-)

Oh, and when I print to PDF I get a blank sheet. Great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Got them installed as well. Mine don't nag but the rendering is rather poor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Did you add it (GS) to the path? My Computer-> Properties->Advanced tab , Environment button.

Add ;C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.71\bin;C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.71\lib;

Make sure you have the correct path.

Martin Riddle

You should uninstall crap with Revo Uninstaller. It will remove all registry entries and empty folders, if you use it properly.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It won't display as nicely with the Ghostscript viewer as one has come to expect from pdf viewers. GSview is more of a preview app for page layout and such, and doesn't do the rendering tricks with sub-pixel anti-aliasing and gamma correction that pdf viewers pretty much all handle nowadays. It expects that the .ps file will be sent onwards to a high-resolution printer for final rendering.

But, a Ghostscript installation does come with the necessary tools to convert .ps to .pdf. There are probably wrappers that put ribbons and bows on this, but all you should need to do is to copy the .ps file to the directory in the GS install that has ps2pdf14.bat (probably the lib directory) and run it from the command line against your .ps file. The result should be a good looking .pdf file.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I use Ghostscript under Cygwin, so the nice Cygwin setup.exe looks after all that installation stuff.

Sometimes the font hinting gets lost in the process, so that it doesn't render well on the screen, but printers have no problems with it IME.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

That's the total for the directory, which includes the Win32 version, Win64 version, MacOSX version, Linux version, source code (as both .tar.gz and .tar.bz2) and some other stuff.

Reply to
Nobody

Yeah, I know, PS is so yesterday. In fact it already was 20 years ago. Back then I became so frustrated with it that I completely ditched it and adopted HPGL. That is a much better rendering tool for CAD but eventually fell from graces for whatever reason.

Thanks, I'll try that. Anything that gets me off of that dreaded PS format is a good thing. Problem is, with this IC design I am going to have a barrage of PS files coming at me over the next months. So I better get some batch process going where I can send all that through a wringer before I even look at them.

Looks like good old DOS batch file time again. Now that I am intimately familiar with :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Did you miss my comments about GhostView and GhostScript? Something is amiss in how you're trying to install.

If your only issue is _receiving_ PS schematics, won't any of the PDF rip-off's handle that? And generating PS is as trivial as installing a printer driver, such as: Apple LaserWriter II NTX v51.8, then "Print to File". ...Jim Thompson