Nuclear device for the kitchen, yes really

Living the good life causes cancer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

How right you are :

"The DAC will need an output op-amp, but alas the trusty old (cheap) NE592 is no longer available"

From a random website. DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

fed on

Be optimistic. More than half of the people who have ever reached the age of 65 in the history of the human race have not died.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yep I'm in that half, as is my father ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Preaching to the converted. Grain-fed beef helps with tenderness, hilst simultaneously reducing (destroying) taste. Grass-fed is best fed when it comes to cows (IMO).

Shortly I will be buying a couple of cattle to run on my small farm, so I can eat cheap beef. NZ exports most of its (exclusively grass fed) beef, and so we get charged whatever the international market will bear, but get sold the non-export-quality meat. $100 per cow is a fairly good deal, though I have to wait a year then kill it myself.....

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Heres an interesting analytical technique: 5-why. Ask why 5 times. Specifically, ask why gamma radiation kills the bacteria (read as: biological material). Then ask why it has *no* effect on the rest of the biological material.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

bingo. Its just a shame NS is science-lite

Reply to
Terry Given

Ten bucks says thats wishful thinking.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Hey, this is cool:

So, political orientation is hereditary. So whichever group has the highest birth rates will eventually dominate politically.

Implications!

John

My comment also has to be read in the context of strawberries that keep well in the garden for 3 weeks. I believe that irradiation cannot cause that, though some chemical products wil definitely be formed.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

I found it sexually oriented, as in "screw them!". ;-) BTW, my wife started getting the stuff six months before her 50th. I haven't gotten any yet. I keep telling her that she's old! ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

The talk about "free radicals" is a lot of bullshit. It is true that such dangling bonds can be created by radiation, but of course they react immediately with the surrounding matter. Free radicals are dangerous when they are created inside your body by radiation that hits your body, but the idea that they can be present in food and then ingested is just plain looney.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Maybe it kills the rats simply because an exclusive diet of conserved food is just plain unhealthy, irradiated or not.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Aren't you a real conoisseur of good food, and all of a sudden a fierce supporter of nuked TV dinners?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Eating fresh food will save lives.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Bacteria and fungi are two different things altogether. Many fungus spores can't be killed by cooking, and probably need a higher radiation dose as well. Apart from that, bacteria will re-settle on an originally sterile surface within minutes because they are everywhere, especially in hospitals.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

The problem with transporting or storing tomatoes is not bacterial rot, but that they bruise easily (mechanically). Irradiation won't help that much.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

But nobody claims they didn't.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

The healthy human digestive tract contains a vast number of bacteria. The good bacteria compete with any bad ones coming in, so selected addition of bacteria actually gives more protection against bacterial disease than sterilisation alone.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

In message , John Larkin writes

Don't blame me, I didn't do the website

My other engineering business has a turnover of $650,000, so I must be doing something right

--
geoff
Reply to