Nuclear device for the kitchen, yes really

"...bred (the old-fashioned way)"?? He f....d the potato? Oh, my !-)

...Jim Thompson

Potatoes have been breeding for a lot longer than people have. I bet they could teach us a trick or two.

John

you eat")

- it did.

sprout.

boost...

around us.

something

Due to GM or irradiation? ISTR that raw potatos are pretty toxic, and some wild species can't be used whichever way. BTW, I just found this:

Right on.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Of course. Any right-thinking potato would take offence at being compared to a lazy bum. :-)

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

No it's not. Hell is here ;-)

I grow bamboo indoors, in a flat pot on the kitchen counter... does quite nicely.

...Jim Thompson

Self-hatred causes cancer.

Do you have "guilt" about "living the good life" in the face of all of the pain and suffering that's all around us all of the time?

Thanks, Rich

for further information, please visit

Rich The Philosophizer

I grow bamboo in England. It will provide shade. Phyllostachys varieties should grow in Arizona - there's a guy in Chino California who grows them - and it's as hot as hell there.

Reply to
richard mullens

There seems to be an unusual number of references to the temperature of hell recently, so it might be appropriate to review the current theories of how hot hell really is. Here are two:

I've heard this one many times before, but this time around I noticed that it doesn't work.

The statement "the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days" is *not* a 49x multiplier. It's just a 7x multiplier, reiterated for poetic effect (as so many things in the Bible are; for example, Genesis 1:27: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him").

None of the other online Bibles I've checked support this 49x interpretation. The NIV version is completely unambiguous: "the sunlight will be seven times brighter, like the light of seven full days".

Unfortunately, using a 7x instead of 49x multipler the whole proof collapses.

If (H/E)^4 = 8, and E is 300K (not -300K, of course), I calculate H to be only 504K (231C). Still hot, but not nearly as hot as Hell (still 445C).

Too bad. The fact that Heaven is hotter than Hell had been an important point in my personal theology.

- David "thank God for the WWW" Levine snipped-for-privacy@ssd.intel.com

Hot as Hell?

A True story. A thermodynamics professor had written a take home exam for his graduate students. It had one question: "Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with a proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however wrote the following:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass.

If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell.

Since, there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.

Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, than the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

His mark was not revealed.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett
[...]

Thanks - the link I had skipped that part. Here's a new link with the complete story:

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Not me. The guilt wouldn't help anybody.

John

[snip]
[snip]

No. The food in the grocery does not meet my definition of fresh. It does not taste as if it were picked at optimum ripeness yesterday. In fact it is substantially tasteless since it was picked weeks ago while still green.

Irradiation of a fruit or vegetable at optimum ripeness stops the progression on into rot, thus giving me the opportunity to enjoy "fresh" again.

...Jim Thompson

I also live in the UK, Costco has stores here as well as the US. It is a bit strange comparing them - they use the same shopping carts, the car parking is laid out the same (one way access, diagonal parking), and very similar internal layout. Many of the goods sold are the same.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

There goes that couch potato again....

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

Regards

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Because the requirements are that the stuff can be stored for 30 years and still be edible - and whatever risk there might be in eating it is probably small compared to the daily risks of the soldier. They only live off those field rations when actually IN the field - the normal food is prepared the normal way.

Beta - it's easier to make and control.

What you are saying is that we need to go lowest common denominator and all live off preserved food because a limited few, including processing plants, do not have the skills to handle real foodstuff. You go right ahead and live on that crap if you like it so much; Freedom of choice and all.

I much prefer that the "problem" was solved by quality staff who wash their hands after going to the toilet and do not pick their nose or fondle their genitals while working (i.e. no fastfood ;-), fresh raw materials that were handled properly, and good kitchen skills - including the use of ones nose and eyes. I can do that so why should my quality of life be diminished by tainting the food to benefit those who cannot?

One of the few places sterilisation of food has merit to consumers I.M.O. is in Spices - presently Methylene Bromide is used, a thoroughly nasty chemical, to kill the germs in the bat shit and whatnot that comes with the Curry. But that is about it - during the summer, I use fresh spices anyway.

Besides -

Radiation will not remove Toxins, f.ex. shellfish gone a bit off then "rejuvenated" by a dose of radiation to stop the rotting & the stink that tells you that you better not eat this, will still give you an extended stay in the old john. This has happened here in Europe - beware of the tasteless shrimp with funny texture!!!

Like Salman Rushdie?

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

That is sooo damn annoying - often the "rare beef" is some 7-year-old clapped out dairy cow that has been fed god-knows-what to boost milk production to levels where the EU pays money to pour the stuff down the drain. So the meat becomes shit too.

People want Volume, Not Quality. "Look Honey: A GBP 1 sunday roast, damn that's good eh ;-)"

Good meat is not very expensive, but it is not cheap either. I prefer to eat less of it and get more of the good stuff.

That is, Argentinian beef is beginning to appear on the market, that is generally very good and reasonably priced too. Hopefully that will drive some of the rubbish meat off the market.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

You're missing the point- processed food and nookler power are articles of faith in some quarters, like gnus for the NMRA (how I hate those bare- armed railroad buffs!)

the bat shit and whatnot that comes with the

That's what cooking is for. Nowt wrong with bat shit, adds to the taste. A few years ago, a friend was going through my brother's curry spices, and came across a jar of brown powder. Inspecting it, she asked "why do you keep henna in the spice cupboard?" He didn't know what it was, and had been adding half a teaspoon full to most curries for the previous 10 years. No ill effects, if you count him as normal normally.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Paul Burke

You have to be careful with bamboo, though. It spreads, and can take over the neighborhood pretty quickly in warm clients!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Make that warm HUMID climates. In the Arizona outdoors bamboo shrivels and dies.

...Jim Thompson