Nuclear device for the kitchen, yes really

I'm up in the air on this topic.

There seem to be some studies done with mice that's about it. I was surprised to hear that irradiation destroys vitamins, nor did I know that thing about nutrients, that be a biggy.

Rarely will I use a microwave for heating anything up other then a lit candle.

Never show this to a little kid, strange stuff happens after school.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

Suggesting that the evidences states that global warming may actually be happening is apparently political.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

produce

carcinogenic chemical

products,

Just like cooking except not quite so bad.

--
Cliff
Reply to

Perhaps "high-dose irradiation" needs to be well defined? And with what exactly .....

--
Cliff
Reply to

I think I saw it in New Scientist many 20+ years ago.

FWIR oxidation by the free radicals generated was the problem, proteins took on a slightly "burnt" off taste, fats developed rancidity.

In fact slightly reminiscent of the "Sterilised" milk that used to be sold in tall bottles with a crown cork.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

But that's not related to irradiation.

No. Mr. Thompson is wrong here. It does _not_ make the food more resistant to bacterial growth. It doesn't change the food at all. It simply kills whatever microbes are in the package with it, so that there's nothing alive in it to cause spoilage. After that, you rely on the seal, just like with a can.

It doesn't taste any different than it would have tasted fresh just before it went into the irradiation machine. The radiation doesn't alter the food in any way, except that the bacteria are dead. Cooking also kills bacteria, but it changes the structure of the food. Gamma radiation doesn't do that, it merely sterilizes it. Admittedly, a raw chicken breast in a plastic bag can look kind of gross just lying there limp; but you could store them in the kitchen cabinet with the soup, and when you opened the bag and the breast slid out it'd be just like you just got it fresh at the meat market.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What connection does eating sterilized food have to do with cancer?

Do you think we're talking about making food radioactive? That's not the way it works, any more than cooking food over a fire means you're eating fire.

It would save thousands of lives, period.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, merely abysmally stupid.

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that

Well, there's flames and then there's flames. I've been "flamed" by people who were so lame that it was actually more of a compliment!

--
Cheers!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that
hot babe to ask what my favorite planet is. ;-j
Reply to
Pig Bladder

to hear

that be a biggy.

John, Check in the EU and/or with

The EU (among other places) has been using it for a long time IIRC.

The energy inputs do things similar to cooking ... they leave behind no radiation.

--
Cliff
Reply to

Who said anything about a false report? Jim Thompson finds himself sexually aroused by geriatric-oriented literature. He's completely within his rights.

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that
hot babe to ask what my favorite planet is. ;-j
Reply to
Pig Bladder

Only when it fudges the numbers to get a foregone conclusion. Or maybe also when they dismiss the evidence that states the exact opposite.

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that
hot babe to ask what my favorite planet is. ;-j
Reply to
Pig Bladder

I agree wholeheartedly with this, (although i love milk and drink gallons of it) little seems to be thought about apart from making sure it looks good enough to sell and that it doesnt cuase imediate harm such that it can be blamed on them.

We used to have certified milk here, not sure if they stil do i moved out of the rural area where i used to get from the local farm, it tasted oh so much better than pasturised milk, but the farm was tested regularly for the problamatic bacteria.

Here in the UK weve grown so used to mediocre food, for whatever reason, I dont think the food most supermarkets or even restaurants/cafes sell would do very well at all in many other euopean countries.

I think iradiation and even GM too will further this trend unless the competitive society we live in introduces some incentive for making better nutritional food or a disincentive to make food of questionable nutritional value.

The best chips(fries) are the ones that taste good the moment theyr cooked but awefull as soon as theyve gone old.

I tend to find my taste buds tell me when something is over procesed, and probably lacking in nutrition.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Hey, raden, designed any interesting electronics lately? Or is your expertise limited to sig file protocols?

John

John

eat")

it did.

sprout.

boost...

We have evolved with and are therefore in equilibrium with the DNA that is around us. Introducing greater variety may upset that balance.

It is a hypothesis. It is not completely implausible. I am suggesting something more subtle than turning you into a giant potato. But then perhaps ...

Reply to
richard mullens

No, it's just that I haven't seen you post in s.e.d. before, and it's almost universal that newbies are the ones who flame about spelling and grammar and off-topicality and stuff.

So, what are you working on?

John

By sticking to science? New Scientist is, like most 'popular science' mags, is run by journalism majors, hence the emphasis on dinosaurs and cuddly animals, and idiotic graphics in lieu of photos of actual apparatus and phenomena or - horrors - actual graphs and stuff.

Scifotainment.

John

John, Please lose Raden and leave him to invisible status.

...Jim Thompson

I was just wondering if he really designed electronics.

John