nuclear battery

From Tomshardware site

IF this isn't BS...

Somebody in the free world needs to get off their asses!

Reply to
jim whitby

Beta batteries are nothing new, but they find only few applications. If you have a device that needs very little power but needs to run for many years untended, it may be a good option.

The Ni63 that powers it probably doesn't come cheap, so you need a really good reason to use one.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

It is largely clueless marketing hype. Whilst the thing can generate a miniscule current for an incredibly long time it is a toy - and nothing more. Zamboni piles do much the same thing without any radioactivity.

There has been one ringing a bell in Oxford for nearly 200 years.

Martin Brown

Thank both of you. I suspected it was bs, but coming from Tomshardware, I wasn't sure.

Reply to
jim whitby

The diamond nuclear battery has been popping up a lot recently, maybe it's like solar roadways where companies take an old idea, spin it so it sounds amazing, and use this to get huge amounts of funding for research while, one presumes, knowing full well that they will fail to develop anything useful.

Reply to
Brian Gregory

I gather the usual way to convert betas into usable voltage and current is to let them pass through a stack of large bandgap photo diodes. Still, you are correct that a lithium primary cell is easier.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman