Nuclear device for the kitchen, yes really

Interesting. My newsreader renders his sig as part of the text. But the separator DOES seem OK. Maybe my newsreader sucks. ;-)

[I dropped all the groups except SED, because I've never heard of the other groups and for all I know, this thread is off-topic or in the FAQ or whatever.]

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

There you go! I hope Colin is paying attention. Although I suspect he's another of the closed-mind crowd :-(

...Jim Thompson

That's not a false report. It is MY personal decision to decide what is sexually explicit. Besides, doesn't AARP stand for American Association of Retired Pussies ?:-)

(And a Form 1500 applies ONLY to MY receipt... forces them to remove me from their mailing list.

...Jim Thompson

Does not. Oh Clueless One, I leave my name only (without the sig stuff) behind to identify that it was I doing the talking. How many posts do you see where you have no clue as to who said what?

...Jim Thompson

Not right off the top of my head, but I'm sure I saw it somewhere. I'll look for it.

...Jim Thompson

Do Internet-savvy people use a proportional font in their newsreader ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

than just brown the outside.

Thank you for the kind remark !-)

I like my steaks rare, BUT warm in the middle... meat cold in the middle turns me off ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Suppose I want a fresh, uncooked, tomato?

...Jim Thompson

The claim that irradiation doesn't change the taste of the food may be a bit optimistic.

IIRR enough irradiation to kill all the bugs was enough to give a detectable change in flavour, but I can't remember where I saw that particular claim.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

My understanding of the irradiation is that it simply kills the resident bacteria. It doesn't render the material immune to bacterial attack once the packaging is opened.

...Jim Thompson

I understand that Nuns have a higher incidence of breast cancer than the general population, and women who breast-feed their babies have less incidence than the general population.

Maybe "use it or lose it" applies ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

My grocery store is less than a mile away, but vine-ripened tomatoes taste immensely better than those that ripen in-transit.

Maybe you don't understand because you've not experienced what "fresh" is all about, but both sets of my grandparents were farmers.

...Jim Thompson

"New Scientist" is a British based popular science weekly. They do get the science right, but insist of presenting it in an "entertaining" way.

Their politics isn't right wing enough for the likes of John Larkin and Jim Thompson, but the "New Scientist" is a British (and Australian) based weekly - moving far enough to the right to pick up the right-wing American market would alienate most of their domestic buyers (like me).

For pro-Dubbya propagada you want something title "Old Fundamentalist".

--------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I should have added a note... there ARE genetically-altered fruits and vegetables that exhibit high immunity to bacterial attack. I AM leery of that sort of alteration.

I don't feel that genetic alteration has had enough testing yet.

There was a big brouhaha here in the States last year... some genetically-altered tomatoes got shipped to stores.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, I have heard references to gamma rays (makes sense) and electron beams (doesn't make sense). There is a food store about 10 miles from me that sells irradiated meat.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Generally accepted by whom? And what happens to a sig that's not generally accepted?

Next, I suppose you'll be lecturing us on "good engineering practice."

John

The more sex partners you have, the more varieties of virus you pick up. There are over 40 CMVs alone; many cause warts and several cause cancer, more often in women.

John

Next war, we'll let the Germans and Japanese have you.

John

No sushi, eh?

We're having a Father's Day BBQ tonight. My steak will be slightly blackened on the outside, still pink (but warm) in the middle.

Reply to
Richard Henry

AIUI, microwaves don't kill small organisms directly. If you want to sterilize something in a microwave oven, I think you will have to do it by heating it to the boiling point.

When people talk about irradiating food, I believe they are talking about high-energy gamma radiation, not microwaves.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac