CE marking

Hello Adrian,

:-)

Well, these guys are really good. They re-wrote a whole lot of stuff. The gear we made shall not lock up because that would put a cardiologist into a real pickle. One of my requirements for an ultrasound machine is that you must be able to yank the power cord, plug it back in and then everything has to come up just fine. Readers who don't believe that's important should have a chat with a service technician who has worked in countries like Romania.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

My dad always said that a job worth doing, is worth doing right, even if it takes extra time. Do it right once, or keep patching your mistakes for years. He is retired and in his mid '70s now. He has a lot of pain in his hips, but he won't take shortcuts to finish any project early. It a sign of being a craftsman, as opposed to being a common laborer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When used properly in the right situation, Windows (XP Embedded) can be very reliable. The bad rap comes from older versions, poor hardware or drivers and is mainly applicable to Home/Pro.

It does take a bit of work to build a reliable XPe image.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Warren

The smart guy does the job well *and* gets home in time for dinner.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, if you are a stupid and lazy, "9 to 5" type that believes you are so smart and refuses to take on emergency orders, but I don't expect a lazy SOB like you to understand. You could never start a business, or make it in a lot of technical jobs that are mission critical. Its just as well, though. From the "Technical" posts that you've made here and in the repair newsgroup, the world would be better off with you flipping burgers for a living. Can you say "Do ya want fries with that?" "Do ya want a lid on your sody pop?"

You do truly suffer from delusions of adequacy. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's 'stupid and lazy' to get a job done well on time ?

You're simply fixated with idiotic gestures.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Considering that you're the tech and I'm the designer that looks like a pretty 'retarded' post to me !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Yep. As I said, I must be stupid. But, working at home, at least I'm always here for dinner ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Actually, I do work 8 to 5 (I take an hour for lunch) and don't work over except on very rare occasions. Of course, as Jim knows, I don't do much work even then! 8-)

I did have one job that had hours out the kazoo. I was spending 65-80 hours a week at work, for about 6 months, before they told me I was being laid off. Seems I wasn't putting enough hours in...

Their poster child was a guy from India who worked all day till 10, drove home, slept in his car because he was too tired to walk up the stairs to his apartment, and then got up at 5 to walk up, shower and shave, and was in the office at 7. Working all those hours, with no rest, meant that the work being done was all a bunch of and that it had to be redone 80% of the time, but it sure impressed the bosses. I actually went home at nights, and slept in my bed, and didn't take a lot of the BS that they inflicted on the others. Of course, being in my 40s, with a little experience, meant that I knew better. The others were all in their 20s, and thought that was how you were SUPPOSED to work.

I was never so glad to be laid off in my life.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

There is a difference in working every possible hour, and pitching in when there is a real need. I'm sure you wouldn't like to be in the hospital having surgery and the staff walking out at 5 PM because the operation took longer than expected, and they didn't want to be late for tea.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The surgeon may be working for a fixed fee, but all the non-MD personnel in the OR are being paid by the hour.

Reply to
Richard Henry

And you would trust the surgeon to do everything by himself?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Richard Henry

Exactly. Some operations are set up where it is EXPECTED that you will put in anywhere from 6-20 hours of overtime a week. Sometimes, they compensate accordingly, but often, it is just assumed that it is part of your job description. If there is an emergency, I don't mind working over a while to get things done, but don't consider it a necessary part of my job everyday. So, if it happens every now and then, no problem. But, if it happens everyday, you find out things happen like to ER doctors that have been on duty too long - you make mistakes. If you are a doctor, people die. If you are an engineer, sometimes the same!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Its true for some techs, as well. If they don't do their job right on some equipment, someone may die. It wasn't engineers who tested and aligned every "Command destruct receiver" that NASA uses, it was the production and final test techs at Microdyne, and a lot of sporadic overtime happened in the 30+ years they were in business. I pulled a lot of it myself, when there were problems meeting deadlines in special orders, or for the end of the fiscal year.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, and I've been ordered to work overtime when I had nothing to do. Management thought it unseemly for us to skate when the people down the food chain were working all sorts of hours. Development is like a funnel, it gets tighter at the bottom; design and verification is at the wider end.

--
  Keith
Reply to

It probably means, among other things, that thaear's no lead or mercury added to the battery :) ane whatever other european regulations cover alkaline cells.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

it means "net" afaict.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Putting in extra hours to get a job finished or fixing things up is normal and expected. Doing overtime every day of the week you're either showing off or something is very wrong with the job.

I work in industry and may get called at any time in the night to get something fixed up. On the last leg of a new installation I don't leave until I know it's all working and handed over to the operators. Other than that I put in the normal 8 to 5.

Of course, it's different if you're self-employed. Then you get to set your own work-load.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

And, of course, get paid accordingly. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise