CE marking

Hello John,

It's a clear plastic housing. Maybe they used light silver color on the USB connector, like the dark brown on black for IC markings :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

They won't listen.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just like most of the old ones. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:FQPzg.394$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...

The best designers are between 35-40 years old. Enough experience, but still having an open mind, which is required for that out-of-the-box thinking! Above 40 they've all moved to some management job, away from the technical details. And if they have not, they keep repeating a couple of old tricks.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Hello Frank,

Nah, not guys of the caliber of Bob Pease or Robert Widlar (who died much too young). You can keep an open mind above 40. The only area where Bob Pease sticks to his old tricks is with cars. He always drives VW Beetles, the old ones or as he'd say the "real ones".

I don't remember the average age of all the engineers I hired. It was definitely over 40. In the US you aren't allowed to ask but after a few pool parties we all knew each other's birthdays. The new kids can't even solder, it's pathetic what universities let loose these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Michael,

I am afraid it's worse. They may not understand how it works. You need to give them a big digital chip and some Java tool that generates the code.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ppffffttt ! I only just recently got into DSP. That's a new trick for me and I'm

*way* over 40 !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

More likely they need to regulate a 3.3V input down to 1.8V or even

0.9V and the '723 isn't very appropriate, with its minimum ~10V input voltage and relatively power-hungery 7.15V reference zener.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Hahaha. You should have started with that 15 years ago. But it's never too late - well it probably *is*, but never mind ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

On what planet is that? Everything here is >12V. LOL!

I mentioned it a few days ago. I have a Logitech mouse here. Optical and wireless. Comes with a USB receiver. The mouse has a small green led on the bottom, seems a normal one. It is about 10mm away from the laser. The label says 'dual laser engine'. I think the green led is just a battery indicator. The thing runs on a single alkaline AA battery, and it does so for months. Wireless. $40.

There must be an *incredible* amount of clever work sitting inside this mouse.

I wonder how old the designers of this mouse were. If I have to believe Joerg, they must all be in their seventies.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

My epitaph:

He didn't know it's never too late. Until it was too late.

Reply to
Paul Burke

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:dZRzg.446$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...

I bet, but you tend to be afraid of the unknown. Or at least you show an attitude that only your own made decisions are the only right ones.

Who needs to solder? A cheaper assistent can build the prototypes. And soldering a few wires/components during further development in the lab is learned quickly enough.

If there is anything pathetic here, it is that you don't give these new kids the benefit of the doubt. They may not be able to change a light bulb, when they leave university, but watch and see what they shake out after a couple of years of hands-on.

Of course, not all will become brilliant designers. How many of the students of your own group have become exceedingly succesful? Probably only a few.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I always give new and younger guys a chance - the same ones I got :)

If you can't solder your own boards (at least in the beginning - I like the fact others can do it for me, but that doesn't stop me doing it when I'm in a hurry), you may be a good technical guy, but you aren't a complete hardware engineer (imnsho, of course).

That doesn't mean you can't do wizardry with a DSP device, nor does it mean you don't know how it works (in theory), but there's more than the base theory of a device (as is proved every day in EMC compliance testing) to a product.

As for being 'better' at a certain age - I don't think it's possible to generalise too much, but I know engineers in their 60s who are *much* more mentally energetic and 'think out of the box' far more than most of the 20 somethings I know.

The kids that come out of university and are willing to get stuck in (and yes, do their own and others soldering is included) I would reasonably expect to do well - those who seem to think soldering is below them tend not to be as successful in hardware, in my experience ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Hello Spehro,

Sure, you can't use a 723 for everything. But have you ever asked a candidate to sketch a buck converter for such a purpose onto the white-board? I did, and the result was not pretty. Needless to say he did not get hired.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Frank,

Huh? Maybe you hadn't read a post here a while ago where I mentioned one of the hardest decisions I let others make. The SW manager came into my office and said they were thinking about migrating one of our systems from QNX to Windows. Gasp!

I thought she was kidding. Then we had a lengthy meeting and they brought their pros and cons. I would have never made that transition because I knew how rock solid QNX is but I let them decide and they chose Windows. They made it work reliably.

And what do you do after 6:00pm when all those assistants are gone?

When someone can't solder that is a crystal clear indicator that he or she has never done any electronics projects from A to Z, whether hobby or for money. I usually need people with more gusto than that.

Maybe it's different here in America but if someone gets hired the company expects a return on that investment. We aren't a 2-year university extension ;-)

I have given kids a chance, lots of times. Some worked out, some didn't. The most promising one I even coached myself, explaining how our systems work, how to use the network analyzer and so on. He was really motivated and, yes, he could solder when we hired him. Months later his attendance became spotty until one day he just didn't show up. Had a lengthy talk with him about how one needs good references and so on. Didn't work :-(

There are a lot of kids out here for whom I would envision a bright future. Most of them from our church. Not because they are religious or share my faith but because their family life is intact, unlike that of many others. Life does not center around cable TV for them.

Actually, quite a few. Most of them work in automotive at upper class manufacturers like Daimler Benz (I socialized more with MEs than EEs). One of my EE friends back then is now a professor.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:nO7Ag.584$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

Yes, but it still sounds as if you would be more happy if they had failed. Then you could have said "Didn't I tell you so?"

You don't expect me to hang around and check when they leave?

But they will learn how to solder in a week, if need be.

Qualities to look for are the ability to learn quickly. Not what they already know or not. I could not care less if someone can draw a buck regulator on a whiteboard or not.

[snip]

Ah, professors. Those are typically the guys that can't solder ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Hello Frank,

Sorry but your crystal ball reading is off. Had they failed I would have gotten my behind whooped by my boss and the BoD. Big time. But there comes a point when you have to take on a risk. This one was a huge risk.

So you work nine to five? Don't immigrate to the US, it's different here.

Not my point. How can they have any practical electronics experience if they never soldered before?

Two years is "quickly"? Ahem. I am not after whether they know a circuit detail but whether they are motivated, and to find out how they think, how smart they are. An "engineer" who throws up his hands and says "I don't know how to figure that out" isn't all that useful in business.

For example, I asked one guy in his interview what he'd do to boost the upper end frequency response of an RF stage. He didn't know but disected the schematic to figure out the bias, the gain, the roll-off points. From there it would have only been minutes and he'd have it licked. Told him not to bother with it and made him an offer on the spot, one he couldn't and didn't resist.

This guy can solder like an artist :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

...up to that point I believed you.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:1t8Ag.598$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

More like the other way around, but not for an employer ;) My father always said, "if you can't earn it in 8 hours a day, you're doing it wrong". One of the few things he was right about. I must be stupid to spend so much hours.

Not a skill everyone needs, in our field, in this era. It proves zip, nada.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Hello Frank,

Seems like we are all doing something wrong then. Never had an 8-hr day, really, but having fun :-)

In the analog world that is very different. If you don't have at least some experience you might drown, and fast. Even for reasons as mundane as being the only analog engineer at the company. T'is life.