CE marking

I recently saw the CE mark on a standard retail AA alkaline cell. The bulk pack showed they were made in China.

Is there a requirement for CE marking/compliance of such batteries - if so what would a declaration confirm? - or is it typical chinese 'label everything as complying with everything regardless'?

Reply to
RHRRC

CE marking is a self-certification. Making something CE compliant is a matter of putting a CE sticker on it. If someone complains, you must proof your product is CE compliant (or-else what???).

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Now try and find that Chinese battery manufacturer ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Hello Nico,

Isn't it the other way around, presumed innocent until found guilty? At least that's how law works here in the US.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That would appear to be amrking for the sake of it.

I'm sure that CE marking for electronic and electrical goods applies only to 'equipment', so batteries shouldn't have it.

Strictly speaking neither should things like disk drives either I believe.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:40:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

Wrong! CE certification CAN BE a self implemented task, but can ALSO be a product that was actually sent in to the CE labs for certification.

Wrong again!

Dude, you are one stupid f*ck. What are you doing in the electronics industry?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

You're mistaken. It applies to *every* product being sold, including an all plastic fly swatter.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Just a small point. There's no such thing as 'the CE labs' as such. Interestingly, neither can any lab 'certify' your product as compliant, that's down to the manufacturer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Utter rubbish. It applies only to products covered by the CE marking scheme.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:02:23 +0100, Eeyore Gave us:

I was under the impression that it was meant for electronic equipment. Period. Anything with electrical currents in it.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

A complaint needs to be based on solid evidence (like a report that states a device is producing too much interference or is too susceptible to interference). 'I think this device doesn't comply' isn't going to be enough. There isn't much law involved. If a device doesn't comply, the end user is not allowed to use it (usually covered by a penalty) so the manufacturor will be pushed by his client to fix the device or take it back.

Different rules may apply to goods imported from outside Europe though.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

There are some curious 'grey areas'. Where do microphones and loudspeakers fit in for example ?

If it's a powered / active loudspeaker with an internal amplifier it's coverd by LVD and EMC regulations. A 'passive' loudspeaker wouldn't be ( since there are no appropriate regulations for loudspeaker EMC issues ).

The same should apply to microphones with internal electronics ( EMC only ) and 'passive' ones - no CE compliance required.

Same for any transducer in fact.

Components are *not* covered but the situation with sub-assemblies is rather less clear.

Other stuff is CE marked under other regulations. Baby seats for cars for example.

CE simply means Conformite Europeen.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

NO. The importer / agent is directly responsible in this case.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It does not seem to apply to items to be incorported into other equipment, say a HDD or a LM741, as it is the final equipment, place on the market that need to comply. The HDD or LM741 manufacturer could not possibly imagine how his device may be applied, so a CE requirement would be dumb

Come back Woodgate, all is forgiven

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

if

'label

only

believe.

all

scheme.

Including plastic fly swatters, potatoe knifes, shoe laces, kids toys and what have you. Different CE guidelines appy.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Can you tell me which regulations apply to fly swatters ?

Which part of my earlier statement " I'm sure that CE marking for electronic and electrical goods applies only to 'equipment', so batteries shouldn't have it. " didn't you understand ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The parmesan cheese we like does have an ISO-9002 compliance statement branded on each wheel.

John

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

and

Probably some regulation about household products or toys, but I don't know. I am not in the fly swatter business.

electronic

have

I missed that, to be honest, but *everything* is covered in CE guidelines somewhere, batteries included. It might be a simple guideline, indicating that batteries should come with an instruction that they should be desposed of as chemical waste. I don't know exactly.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

HDDs are generally CE-marked. Also UL (component recognition) and CSA.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

in

batteries - if

'label

applies only

believe.

an all

scheme.

And condoms too. CE marked condoms. Don't f*ck (or without) with CE ;)