Interesting Letter-to-the-Editor

He did have other sources of income - and since your proposition that Saddam has "escaped", and that he got away with "billions of euros" is unsupported by any hard evidence - you haven't got any more idea of where he is than I do, and even less evidence about the amount of money he is carrying about with him - this is a poor counter-arguement, even by you abysmal standards.

Less likely. Your politicians are a batch of crooks without a moral fibre between them, much like Saddam, if less murderous, while al Qua'eda is a bunch of religious fanatics, with moral fibres sticking out in all directions.

For the record, I prefer your politicians - they serve their purpose and their vices aren't noticeably destructive.

Your idea of what's equitable.

You really are thick (or possibly disingenuous). The point about the heirachical structure of Japanese society was adddressed to the likely success of your occupation. Your occupation of Japan was relatively peaceful, without noticable evidence of organised resistance, because you had control of the king-pin in their rigid heirachy.

You haven't even captured the king-pin in the Iraqi heirachy, and if you did it would not do you anything like as much good. You are faced with active and energetic resistance in Iraq, and it is likely to persist - land borders can be quite porous. Making the sort of changes to Iraqi society that you were able to engineer in Japan (with the assistance of the emperor) could be a lot more difficult, and your eventual exit from the country may look more like your exit from Vietnam.

I do know enough not to fall into self-referential black holes, like your second last sentence.

Where I come from, that is known as ignoring inconvenient evidence.

The group you are identifying is your gullible toadies. Your true friends were trying to save you from theconsequences of your own fecklessness.

Absolutely. But now it seems that you need our help keeping the lid on the can of worms that you opened up in Iraq, where you invaded against U.N. advice and without UN sanction ....

And you survival was threatend by Saddam's regime in Iraq? That is the same lame argument you floated before the invasion, and it is still a lead balloon.

Why? One of the harder knots in the web you have woven is the perceived anti-Islamic aspect of your invasion. A U.N. sactioned anti-Saddam liberation, with Arab support, would have looked a lot less anti-Islamic.

So you claim.

Not all the academics at the University of Texas at Austin were football-loving red-necks. My wife's expertise about wine dates back to to that period of her life (though IIRR at least two of the relevent academics came from New Zealand).

And it took Martin Luther King to convert the paper equality into something vaguely approximating real equality. The coloured minority in Florida wasn't exactly over-represented during the last presidentail election.

Which is not to say that Australia's history presents the European invasion as anything beneficial to the aboriginal population. You've missed a number of decidedly repulsive episodes, including the genocide of the Tasmanian aborigines, and the revolting little incident where the skull of the last Tasmanian male aborigine was stolen from his body before the burial service.

I had my conciousness raised on that particular subject in my youth, and don't need to be reminded that Australia has its flaws. If I ever get back there and get to reclaim my right to vote, I'll be active in trying to correct some of them.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I guess that a perfectly good question to ask is, "Who's the enemy?"

Reply to
Andy Peters

However, the despot in question, Saddam, was one of Reagan's lovers. See, for example,

and note the photo of one Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with said despot.

Saddam was a US ally right up until the Kuwait invasion. He got on Bush The Elder's shitlist because the invasion wasn't blessed by the White House.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

The enemy would be those who are abused by the nation. For example, the ongoing abuse of the Iraqis by the French ally: Saddam would make France less of a friend in the longer term. Could/would Iraq attack France? Probably not, but the ongoing terror attacks (the WTC attacks were partially staged in Germany) do cause some serious problems.

It is also NOT CLEAR what the longer term prospects of China and Russia will be. Ignoring a problem will not make it go away.

John

Reply to
John S. Dyson

I read in sci.electronics.design that Bill Sloman wrote (in ) about 'Interesting Letter-to-the-Editor', on Mon, 8 Dec 2003:

Touch of the mexed mitaphors there, Bill. (;-)

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

So, you're saying that a nation's military budget should be proportional to the amount of abuse of others that it might be held responsible for?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
[snip]

In the dying days of the war one of Saddam's sons turned up at the central bank and took billions (3, IIRC) of dollars in cash away in trucks. So we do know Saddam, or at least his sons, had loads of cash. I don't recall mention of the cash being recovered so I guess it's with Saddam somewhere. Whether he's "got away" yet or not is debatable, but he sure hasn't been caught yet.

Tim

--
The .sig is dead.
Reply to

Is that a sniff of an admission of US guilt in abusing Arabs enough to make some of them want to fly planes into skyscrapers?

Yeah and they were staged far more in the USA. Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

Tim

--
The .sig is dead.
Reply to

The Stability Pact was always just a sop to the bankers, and to those monetarist economists who exist to tell right-wing finance ministers that it is good thing to bias the economy to favour the rich. John Maynard Keynes was right, and serious politicians know it, and act accordingly.

The strength of the euro depends on the strenght of the economies using it, not some idiot monetarist formula, and at the moment the euro-zone is still running a solid balance of payments surplus, which the dollar is not. I'm not "disparaging" the dollar (I might as well disparage the Gulf Stream). I am just pointing up a non-controversial economic fact, and gleefully drawing a few marginally more controversial conclusions.

European interest rates aren't going to rise until the European economies pick up, so what you are saying is that you are a Keynesian too.

You really do seem to be intent on competing with the intellectual cyclone.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It is more important to be ready for unforseen abuse. Actually, I claimed that it was still unlikely for Iraq to attack France, but the various problems can come from unforseen places. (For example, UK might be attacked by an Islamist France... Frankly, France populace is turning more that way than any other way.)

John

Reply to
John S. Dyson

I read in sci.electronics.design that Tim Auton wrote (in ) about 'Interesting Letter-to-the-Editor', on Mon, 8 Dec

2003:

Given a large enough lump.... (;-)

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

Of course, if you are ready for it, it has been foreseen. There's a difficult paradox here.

Most of them seem to.

The last French attack on the U.K. that I can recall was by French graziers obejcting to exports of English lamb to France. They burnt a couple of U.K. container trucks, on French soil.

An Islamist Franch is a about a likely as a sensible post from John S.Dyson.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

---------------------- Francis Marion, a Carolina planter who harrassed the Brits and smuggled.

----------------------- There was NO "beginning", per se. And by the time you are referring to, It would have torn this country to pieces. It almost did! The older generation stopped THEIR war in order to win their children back, who had pretty universally begun to drop out of universities at an exponentially accelerating rate, and were planning ever more grandiosely violent revolutionary schemes as an entrenched youth culture. Buildings were blowing up and burning down for no apparent reason other than political.

---------------- Bill obviously wasn't there when the USA single-handedly re-structured even the culture of Japan. In that theater we made it an executable crime in Japan for a Japanese not to be at a job or where he was supposed to be, and then we simply TOLD them what their constitution would read. We shot hundreds summarily, without any court interference. We gave them an entrenched inferiority complex and a terror of violence. The Japanese got used to the concept that they had LOST, we should do that in Iraq!!

-------------------------------- Arabs or Iraqis on flat land can be burned alive a lot more easily, however, than jungle dwellers. And we're much more able to do so now.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

Single metaphor. The argument as a (lead) balloon that persistently fails to float.

Possibly over-mextended.

------ Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You don't want to believe everything you read in the media, least of all the U.S. media.

You haven't a clue where Saddam Hussein is, nor how much money he stuffed in his wallet before going underground (using the word in the figurative sense - for all we know he could be up a gum tree in the Australian out-back, posing as an asylum-seeker).

Neither does anybody else.

Are you trying to appear as ill-informed as John S. Dyson, or are you merely a victim of the same creeping right-wingism?

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I read in sci.electronics.design that Bill Sloman wrote (in ) about 'Interesting Letter-to-the-Editor', on Wed, 10 Dec 2003:

No, you have a 'lame argument' as well. Your lead balloon can't really be described as 'lame', so you have a mix.

I like 'over-mextended' - going to Acapulco for two weeks and staying for four.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

The removal of large quantities of cash in trucks was well documented by many different media around the world. I can't be arsed to trace every one to source - are they all reporting the same biased source?

I wouldn't say it was caused by the UN delays though, he would have had time however the invasion progressed. Stealing cash takes hours or days, invasions take months to prepare. It's not like it was an overnight surprise.

Tim

--
The .sig is dead.
Reply to

--
But you'd like for me and everyone else to believe that what you place
your imprimatur on is the unvarnished truth?  You're a joke.

Well, Bill, I don't believe _everything_ I read in the media, whoever
reports it, but it seems likely that since he didn't leave Iraq with his
pockets empty it's only a question of how much he took, not whether or
not he took.
Reply to
John Fields

--
You make my point; it should have been.

Had it not been for the haranguing at the UN we could have launched a
much more clandestinely planned and executed invasion, clearly giving us
the advantage of surprise in addition to the overwhelming advantage in
force.  That surprise surely would have shortened Saddam's response time
and had he been able to escape with his life he may have made it with
just the shirt on his back.   Hindsight and conjecture, of course, but
the right way to do it, IMO.
Reply to
John Fields

You know that he's not in Iraq any more?